Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

onions and sleepiness

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
does anyone have any idea why onions would make me sleepy? im fine with cooked onions but raw they get me to the point that i can barely keep my eyes open. its so odd. the stronger the onion the sleepier i feel.
any ideas?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Its not that they should make you sleepy, but theres something in raw onions that when cut open they release some sort of chemical that makes your eyes water - which would make you want to close them...hence feeling sleepy?
    icey wrote:
    Its not that they should make you sleepy, but theres something in raw onions that when cut open they release some sort of chemical that makes your eyes water - which would make you want to close them...hence feeling sleepy?

no its definately not that. its only when i eat them that i want to sleep. if i am not doing anything i will actually just crash out. its actual tiredness and no energy, its bizarre. my eyes nip like hell cuttin onions but that i know is natural.
    maybe you have a slight allergy/intolerance to them?
    katralla wrote:
    maybe you have a slight allergy/intolerance to them?
    Thats what I thought too.
    I have the same problem with onions, they make me incredibly tired! I find that many canned foods on the market contain onions or dried onions as an ingredient and, cooked or not, they cause drowsiness. If I’m eating at a restaurant or friend’s house I often have to have a caffeinated drink to counteract the effect otherwise it’s lights out! I’m not sure if it’s an allergy though - I have been tested for food allergies and onions did not come up (though I am lactose sensitive). The worst part, for me at least, has been trying to explain my aversion to onions to others. No one believes me (even my doctor was sceptical) and they wrongly assume that I’m a picky eater and don’t like the taste of onions. That’s not it- I do like onions! I just can’t eat them unless I know I can take an hour nap after my meal… it’s like they’re my kryptonite!
    Go see a doctor that specializes in allergies and have it checked. I've never heard of that but it's possible to have an adverse reaction to food. Are you sure it's onions and not something else? Food with tryptophan in it like turkey can make you tired.
    I'm the same, raw onions make me crash out! you are not alone, there are plenty like us, just google it, you will see. Cooked onions are fine, raw onions aren't.
    I have the same problem, but cooked onions also make me sleepy. And when I cook them, I feel so sleepy like I;m drugged. I remember being in the living room and somebody cooking onions in the kitchen and feeling so sleepy with that "onion" feel in my eyes.
    but I LOVE onions...
    i have the same problem but its when the chemical hit's my eyes

i just think it's my herlems disorder
    A spiritual guy told me that eating onions and garlic a lot isn't good for you, it can make you angsty.
    This is from 2006 :p
    Xx
    OMG this thread is from 2003

how is it still going:confused:
    2006, you clearly can't read can you. And it doesn't take a genius Knoppix, figure it out for yourself... look at peoples posting dates. Just some noobs dragging it up.
    Xx
    same problem:

Hi I have exactly the same problem and it is causing me a lot of disturbance in my life. Now I dont have to make my doctor beleive me . I'"m a doctor..!! I did a lot of investigation and spoke to some of my friends (doctors) but didn't reach to a lot. Did you do any investigation and did you find any positive data even if not related may be we can collect some data and reach somthing
    Onions and sleepiness

I have the same reaction when it comes to eating raw onions. I can eat them cooked, and not have any affects. I have managed to trace the problem clear back to my great grandma, and my grandma had it, and so does my mom and my eldest son. We love onions, but they don't love us. A dr had told my great grandmother it was due to having a certain kind of allergy to them, and if you cook them it cooks the toxins out. Therefore taking out the stuff causing our reaction. If I eat raw onions within 15 minutes to an hr I am out like a light, and before that I get light headed and feel like I'm about to pass out.
  • JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    Hi daphne77 and MarkHerry,

Generally when a thread is inactive, like this one, it's much better to start a new discussion.
    I'm going to close this now, but feel free to make a new thread :)

JPick
This discussion has been closed.