Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Going Wireless

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm getting a Laptop pretty soon and consider having a wire to connect to the Internet a little restricting and kind of defeats the purpose of a Laptop so I'm thinking of changing to a wireless package.

I've been with BT Broadband for over 3 1/2 years and my choices are either go with them and their BT Total thing which I don't really like the idea of, buy a wireless router or change to another ISP who supplies the wireless router for free.

I've had a look around but don't really trust the cheap providers because I'd like a reliable service.

Anyone got any recommendations? Oh, and I'm like halfway through this year's contract - would it be easy to switch?

Comments

• Options
    i'd say don't go wireless it's a pain in the arse, but if you must then buy a wireless router, much less hassle then switching provider to get a 'free' one, which will no doubt hook you into another contract.......plus you'll probably have to pay cancellation fee with bt to switch, if they're fuckers like all the other providers........
  • Options
    Wireless routers are getting cheaper all the time and if your laptop has built in wifi then tha good, but it also uses up a lot of battery power compared to being connected via a wire, although I did post recently a link to get a wifi router for about £13
  • Options
    Saeed MSaeed M Posts: 270 The Mix Regular
    Jazza wrote:
    Anyone got any recommendations? Oh, and I'm like halfway through this year's contract - would it be easy to switch?

I'm not sure about how BT do things, but most providers have a minimum year's contract. As far as I'm aware that means that the first year is a minimum and after that you're free to leave at the end of any month.

My provider is Be, who are very good and very fast. If you can't get them then I'd recommend Zen or Demon for reliability, although they're a little on the expensive side.

Have a look at ADSL Guide for others (be sure to check their message boards for personal users' opinions).