Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

pipe / bong / hookah / bubbler ?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Can anyone reccomend which is best? How do they differ in "hit" delivery?

Its for a birthday present, for someone that currently has none of these things, and i'd like to buy something that will look cool even if it doesnt get used, kind of ornamental. But also something that will work well / be fun if he wants to use it

So, any pointers?

Comments

• Options
    I was always under the impression that a bong, hookah and bubbler were all the same thing.
  • Options
    Well i gathered that as they have different names they must differ in some way
  • Options
    Lots of things have different names for the same thing.
  • Options
    They're all the same, just different designs. They filter smoke through water (apart from a pipe which doesn't, unless its a water pipe).
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Blagsta wrote:
    They're all the same, just different designs. They filter smoke through water (apart from a pipe which doesn't, unless its a water pipe).

Indeed.

Bongs are my favourite, though Hookas can be immensly fun. Especially if they have more than one pipe.
  • Options
    bong
    products_water_bongs_acrylic_st85_green_blue.jpg

hookah
    one_piece_12_inch_hookah_pi.jpg

bubbler
    glass_deluxe_range_bubbler_2005.jpg

pipe
    pipes_wood_ewp325.jpg

yeh, obviously they all have the same purpose, but they look very different and have different names, therefore there must be some sort of difference otherwise there wouldnt be different types.

What i'd like to know, is from anyone who has tried any, what did you think, and in general what would be the best birthday present?
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Indeed.

Bongs are my favourite, though Hookas can be immensly fun. Especially if they have more than one pipe.

i used a hookah a few weeks ago, it only had 1 pipe though but i thought it was cool. But i have no experience with pipes or bongs.

Would you say a bong would be the best as a gift?
  • Options
    pipe would be the cheapest if thats what youre going for!

not too bothered about price, my maximum is about £25 :)
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    yeh, obviously they all have the same purpose, but they look very different and have different names, therefore there must be some sort of difference otherwise there wouldnt be different types.

What i'd like to know, is from anyone who has tried any, what did you think, and in general what would be the best birthday present?

Seriously, the only real difference there is between the pipe and the rest. The rest all use water to cool the smoke. The only choice between them is preference in design.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Seriously, the only real difference there is between the pipe and the rest. The rest all use water to cool the smoke. The only choice between them is preference in design.

Exactly, they have different designs, therefore people may have a preference
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    i used a hookah a few weeks ago, it only had 1 pipe though but i thought it was cool. But i have no experience with pipes or bongs.

Would you say a bong would be the best as a gift?

Depends really on the persons preference. Its your choice though for it, and I am sure they won't mind whatever you buy!
  • Options
    I always prefered a small handheld bubbler. It was less harsh on the asthmatic lungs when the water was nice and ice cold. I also preferred the small ones as they were easy to pass and share like a pipe. Its all about the sharing, and I found the multi tubed bongs/hookas were not as nice. Plus I love the color changing pipes/small bubblers. That was the best part of them. Though a joint is always the way to go with the bubble gum or cotton candy flavored paper and theres always somebody or a few people who won't touch it when it gets real small so if your daring enough/have tough enough fingers theres always plenty left for you ;)
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    I always prefered a small handheld bubbler. It was less harsh on the asthmatic lungs when the water was nice and ice cold. I also preferred the small ones as they were easy to pass and share like a pipe. Its all about the sharing, and I found the multi tubed bongs/hookas were not as nice. Plus I love the color changing pipes/small bubblers. That was the best part of them. Though a joint is always the way to go with the bubble gum or cotton candy flavored paper and theres always somebody or a few people who won't touch it when it gets real small so if your daring enough/have tough enough fingers theres always plenty left for you ;)

cheers! the colour changing ones sound fun, i'll look into that
  • Options
    make a present instead, empty coke bottle, broken biro & some bluetak, hey presto!
  • Options
    Depends, if he isn't a heavy weed smoker a bong might be inappropriate, since it's pretty... well, 'severe' kind of smoking.

I would advise you, to get a turkish shisha.
    You smoke flavoured tobacco with it and I enjoy it loads, even tho I am not a smoker.

basically there is a hot coal on a tin foil with holes, below is the e.g. cherry tobacco. So you don't incinerate the tobacco directly, but only "suck the hot air through. Then comes the water and then the smoke, white, clear as day leaves the hose and you have super tasty, not-tingly/not-scratchy smoke, that - out of personal experience - makes you a bit drowsy, not unlike weed itself.

and it's fun for the whole family.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    A homemade lung with a coke bottle, teco's carrier bag, 13mm socket and pipe screen. :D
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    A homemade lung with a coke bottle, teco's carrier bag, 13mm socket and pipe screen. :D

Aaah, memories! I must say, I remember doing that.

Oh dear, lol.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:

Fuck, had some craic with those yokes! Hazy times! :D
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    make a present instead, empty coke bottle, broken biro & some bluetak, hey presto!
    been there done that :p
  • Options
    Skive wrote:

ai, or just give him a couple of knives and an oxo cube...
  • Options
    Skive wrote:

bread bags work better ;)

id go for a bong .. they're all slightly different depending on the shape of the bong.. some hold more water than others so they smoke differently etc .. its really a personal preference

glass bongs tend to be the nicest to smoke but funnily enough the easiest to break..

ive only ever heard of hookahs being used to smoke tobacco, ive never saw anyone using one to smoke weed.. and i personally find pipes a bit too harsh on the throat as the smoke tends to be quite hot.. i have no problem smoking out of them but id prefer a nice bong!
  • Options
    z- wrote:

:yes:

I hate pipes, don't like the after taste and it is quite harsh. I'll stick to a good ole joint anyday over bongs but they do give you a better hit.
  • Options
    z- wrote:

Yes they do.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    A pipe is probably the best all around; a glass one with a long shaft is a great choice, as the colour changing is awesome and you get very deep hitsand the distance lets it cool a bit.

A bong is good when you wanna get baked very fast. The only problem is that some people do not like the severe harshness you get with the monster hits it delivers. Being a pretty small guy myself it hits me more quickly than I would like and I get very dizzy, so I don't even really start enjoying it for about an hour. Many, like me would rather gradually get high, but it is good for the wild ones. The other disadvantage is that obviously it burns weed very fast, so if you forget to cover the top or if someone coughs right away, you just wasted a ton of weed! If you really want one I would suggest simply making one from a PVC pipe you can get for $2 at any hardware store.

A hookah is very impractical for weed as it would be quite a waste, but if you prefer a hose, I suppose you could if you really wanted to. On a side note, the "shisha" mentioned earlier is actually the real name for a hookah. These things are expensive though, especially if you want more than 1 hose. I would not reccommend it.

A bubbler will be slightly more than a standard pipe, but it is very nice. Cools the weed quite well, and is still rather compact.

I would still suggest a glass pipe, especially since this is a gift. Although persoanlly I'll always prefer a joint, as it is always the least wasteful and delivers a gradual high. If you're short on cash, just get the person a couple packs of Zig Zags!:thumb:
  • Options
    A pipe is probably the best all around; a glass one with a long shaft is a great choice, as the colour changing is awesome and you get very deep hitsand the distance lets it cool a bit.

A bong is good when you wanna get baked very fast. The only problem is that some people do not like the severe harshness you get with the monster hits it delivers. Being a pretty small guy myself it hits me more quickly than I would like and I get very dizzy, so I don't even really start enjoying it for about an hour. Many, like me would rather gradually get high, but it is good for the wild ones. The other disadvantage is that obviously it burns weed very fast, so if you forget to cover the top or if someone coughs right away, you just wasted a ton of weed! If you really want one I would suggest simply making one from a PVC pipe you can get for $2 at any hardware store.

A hookah is very impractical for weed as it would be quite a waste, but if you prefer a hose, I suppose you could if you really wanted to. On a side note, the "shisha" mentioned earlier is actually the real name for a hookah. These things are expensive though, especially if you want more than 1 hose. I would not reccommend it.

A bubbler will be slightly more than a standard pipe, but it is very nice. Cools the weed quite well, and is still rather compact.

I would still suggest a glass pipe, especially since this is a gift. Although persoanlly I'll always prefer a joint, as it is always the least wasteful and delivers a gradual high. If you're short on cash, just get the person a couple packs of Zig Zags!:thumb:

cheers!!

im very tempted by the glass colour changing pipes at the moment, but the only ones ive found so far tend to look somewhat...phallic
  • Options
    Well, if your local headshop's collection is a bit skimpy, you could always try ording online, granted you have some time to spare for it to arrive...
  • Options
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    That really isn't necessary is it.
  • Options
    I'm sure Blaggy knew the difference. He's quite right really when he says they pretty much do the same thing. Apart from the pipe.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    I have given the old bongs a rest for a bit now, after smoking them regularly for 3 years it gets a bit harsh on the old lungage. I'm just sticking to joints but for how long....... i don't know