Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

ABSINTHE: More affordable, more variety, & more potent than ever.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
It has been almost exactly one year since I have ordered absinthe for the first time. And since then the movement has made leaps and bounds:

Affordability: 1 year ago 2 1/2 litre bottles of 14 mg strength including shipping costs was $144 and took 9 weeks to arrive! Triple thujone potency spirits were close to $75-$100 per 1/2 litre! 100 mg was $200 a fifth! So how pricey are spirits now? These days you can get a full fifth for $16! Holy shit! What a difference a year makes, no? Triple thujone spirits are all about half the price. 100 mg (10x) fifths can be obtained for $99 with express shipping when multiple quanities are purchased! Not to mention new sites have popped up offering cheaper shipping with half the delivery time. Why not get a couple mates together and make an order?

variety: At first I only discovered about 1 new spirit a month, even when searching furuiously every day. In recent months retailers have been listing a half dozen new varieties at a time! This also helps in bringing down the prices of other spirits. I speak on a regular basis to several outlet owners and they all have told me the same thing; they are constantly ordering new absinthe, but often times the distilleries cannot produce enough to meet increasing demand! Therefore a lesser known retailer may have to wait several months! On another positive note, it is becoming more popular not to have an especially high alcohol content, but to have triple strength thujone, which is the true source of the the "absinthe experience". This is a good thing, as 30 mg and higher brings upon a true, long-lasting euphoria very quickly with even a single drink. 20 mg is also quite pleasant, yet is subtle enough to be able to function normally without any effort. Although really even the lowest 6 mg will have you feeling incredible, even if it does take a drink or two more.

Potency: As I stated, the trend seems to be toward increasing strength. This makes me quite happy, I must admit.:yippe: A year ago the most powerful spirit was 140 proof and had 100 mg of thujone for $200. Today the most powerful is a whopping 151 proof with 111 mg/thujone priced at 2/$300! Seriously, this shit will knock you over with capful, man! Just imagine how long a fifth would last:lol:

So, what the hell are you doing still reading this? Buy some!

Comments

• Options
    Absinthe is shit without the wormwood.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Yah! I agree
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Bullseye wrote:
    Yah! I agree

have you both tried it with woodworm?
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    have you both tried it with woodworm?

It's wormwood, not woodworm :D
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:
    It's wormwood, not woodworm :D
    :lol::lol: ooops! i've only ever had it in ibiza and i doubt it had the wormwood in it. i remember being really scared before we did it though because off all the rumours about how strong it was!
  • Options
    I tried it with woodworm once;)
  • Options
    did you drink some ronseal after?
  • Options
    Tried it both ways...personally, i think it is over rated, it didnt make me go crazy or see green flying fairies!
  • Options
    I famously whilst playing a drinking game had to down a pint of special brew with a treble absinthe in it, 10 minutes later the rest of the night is very hazy.
  • Options
    this drink is fucking rank! the moment this kind of drink gets in my mouth, I throw up! That comes from years of abuse as a teen!
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote:
    this drink is fucking rank! the moment this kind of drink gets in my mouth, I throw up! That comes from years of abuse as a teen!
    Ditto.
  • Options
    its a nice drink. quite easy to drink considering its % and quite a nice drunk aswel
  • Options
    It's more aniseedy, like Sambuca. But if you drink it straight, any sense of taste is quickly replaced with burning. :D
  • Options
    mmm I love aniseed, like I said, red aftershock ^_^
    Isn't red aftershock cinnamon? :chin:
  • Options
    Yep, it is.
  • Options
    Aye thought so, you on about atomic fireballs? cos they were cinnamon lol.
    ever had goldschlager? its similar but more mashup stylee, what with the gold flakes and the throat cutting...
  • Options
    Does it smell and taste like vodka?

I had alcohol poisoning once and ever since even the smell or washing my mouth out with listerene makes me want to puke.

I like red aftershock though.

yes, is this like aftershock? i've never tried absynth.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

Oh? And what spirits have you tried?
    Bullseye wrote:
    Tried it both ways...personally, i think it is over rated, it didnt make me go crazy or see green flying fairies!

Well obviously, as it is not supposed to do either! It is simply a long-lasting euphoria/well-being state of mind high. Although there are rumours that certain 10x strength spirits can still make you see the fairy. This may be true, as after quite a few drinks of only 14 mg I got this visual effect where everything was highlighted and much more vivid. I was in the back seat being taken home and I remember being fascinated by all the lights on the freeway (much like I am whiule on shrooms)! So I'm sure it is quite possible.
    VinylVicky wrote:

It is not meant to be drank straight! Almost every testimony I hear about how shitty absinthe is comes from someone that takes a shot or a straight drink. Well, of course it is going to taste like shit this way! weak-ass 70 proof vodka tastes like shit straight too, as with any other hard drink.

Jonny8888 wrote:
    its a nice drink. quite easy to drink considering its % and quite a nice drunk aswel
    Yes, exactly! It is very easy to drink even 1/2 and 1/2, with little to no burn, even though at this dilution it is equal to drinking vodka straight! Let's see ANY other drink do that! Plus if you substitute the water with parts Bailey's irish Creme (or related drink), it is soooo tasty...Absinthe Cremé...mmm.

Does it smell and taste like vodka? Not at all. It is a liquor, and it quite flavourful, usually in a good way. Some spririts smell fruity, others neutral, some like licorise or mint, and some even have a pleasant floral fragrance. There are flavours for those who like and dislike anise, sweetened and unsweetened, and other flavours like citrus, mint (personal fave), and other herbs, but very rarely does it simply taste like alcohol.

Not at all. It is a liquor, and it quite flavourful, usually in a good way. Some spririts smell fruity, others neutral, some like licorise or mint, and some even have a pleasant floral fragrance. There are flavours for those who like and dislike anise, sweetened and unsweetened, and other flavours like citrus, mint (personal fave), and other herbs, but very rarely does it simply taste like alcohol.

BWAHAHA! Some day when absinthe has become mainstream and you finally try it you will all see how great it truely is!:thumb:
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I've drunk the real deal a few times, and have to say that you get well pissed before any noticable effect from the wormwood. Load of jank. Wormwood is also one of the herbs used in vermouth found in Martini by the way.

You can buy the wormood on it's own but it doesn't intrest me in the slightest. Thujone just doesn't seem worthwile http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thujone

As a drink I cant stand it.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Yes, exactly! It is very easy to drink even 1/2 and 1/2, with little to no burn, even though at this dilution it is equal to drinking vodka straight! Let's see ANY other drink do that! Plus if you substitute the water with parts Bailey's irish Creme (or related drink), it is soooo tasty...Absinthe Cremé...mmm.
    You should try it 50/50 with sugarcane syrup. I've done the water and sugar thing, and I didn't really like it. Other than that, I just float it on the top of other stuff instead.
  • Options
    I've heard that all the claims of wormwood fucking you up and making you go crazy were actually most likely down to the fact that they didn't know how to brew the stuff properly. So nothing you get nowadays will be like that, because they're all made in modern breweries.
  • Options
    You should try it 50/50 with sugarcane syrup. I've done the water and sugar thing, and I didn't really like it. Other than that, I just float it on the top of other stuff instead.

Ok, cool I'll try that sometime. Oh, and if you don';t like the taste, try having a few drinks before you even get started and I think it'll bother you a bit less, ha ha.

And about the role that wormwood plays-even I'm not really sure. As far as I'm concerned, the more thujone content the better, as that's all that really seems to matter. Even the alcohol contnet doesn't have to be that high; in fact, a guest absinthe guru on TechTV said that 50-55% alcohol actually increases the potency of the thujone, although it's anyone's guess as to what truth that holds, if any. But then, when you think about it, a high alcohol content wouldn't neccessarily be an advantage anyway. If the content is too high the alcohol will start to overshadow the thujone effect (although you do still feel good as hell). My first bottle was 73% and I would have to drink it slow, or else I'd start to get drunk, lol.

Fortunately, the thujone effect lasts MUCH longer than the alcohol. I usually have 2 drinks to start off, then wait an hour or so for the liquor to die down a bit and then liesurely sip a third drink. Once that's finished I'm feelin' fucking amazing for the next 4 or 5 hours, or sometimes even the whole night if you are generous with your servings. Then the next day I still feel very happy and slightly buzzed (in a good way)! In fact, I've noticed that by drinking absinthe twice a week-typically once on Tuesday and then again on Friday-I get a general sense of wellbeing for most of the week! Not that's a drug that DELIVERS, baby, haha!
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    what difference does wormwood make anyway?

Wormwood is a herb that contains the active ingredient of the original absinthe, Thujone. It isn't necessarily present in the wormwood you get today, as it is toxic.

Erowid has an interesting Wormwood Vault and there is some info about thujone on Wikipadia - can't vouch for the accuracy of it though...
  • Options
    LadyJade wrote:
    Wormwood is a herb that contains the active ingredient of the original absinthe, Thujone. It isn't necessarily present in the wormwood you get today, as it is toxic.

Erowid has an interesting Wormwood Vault and there is some info about thujone on Wikipadia - can't vouch for the accuracy of it though...

Well, it sounds pretty legit, although the tests WERE very vague (rats, human tests under 1 mg/thujone). I can't see it causing convultions either, although I've never had a 100mg+ spirit, so it's hard to be sure. Then again, perhaps they always make the alcohol content in extra potent thujone drinks high so that you cannot overdose on the thujone...?
  • Options
    Dude...what website?
  • Options
    I had it tonight with wormwood but there were no green fairies... I didnt have too much though as it was making me quite drunk.

I've taken a shine to it, mind you :D. Lovely stuff!
  • Options
    Ha ha, isn't it?:D What kind did you have? How well did you feel the thujone? I have some Versinthe la Blanche, Mystiq absinthe cocktail, Mata Hari, and a new German spirit on the way. I'll post reviews of these and the last kind I tried when this next batch arrives...

I looked into the thujone overdose thing...and yes, the higher alcohol content limits/slows the amount of thujone your body can absorb, therefore higher alcohol content spirits (labeled as "bitters" or "strong") can legally have a higher thujone content. But even still, all the research I've found shows that it would take nearly 5000 mg for a week just to kill a rat, so overdose does not sound too likely!
  • Options
    Well I went numb all over (not normal drunkness kind, because my mind kind of was 'turned on' - I just couldn't feel things properly) and it was lovely. It wasn't mine, was someone elses and it said 'Parisian' on the label, so don't have a clue. Think it was mass produced rather than from a small distilliary though, just guessing.

I'm seeing where I can buy some from :yum:

Apparently, thujone doesn't actually do anything, but the aniseed and some of the other ingredients do. That's what Wikipedia said anyway...
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Like I said in an earlier post, you can't vouch for the accuracy of Wikipedia. Ever eaten a load of aniseed balls and seen a fairy?

Have you had a look on Erowid? This site, La Fee Verte, looks reasonably good to....
  • Options
    hm, depends where you live, but I think la fee Parisian is exclusive to eabsinthe.com. I think most la fee brands are exclusive to their store, which only ships to the UK. I would suggest Tabu Strong 73 ($32) or Versinthe la blanche ($28) and they are available anywhere. Versinthe has a slightly better taste/smell and Tabu is slightly stronger, especially with the insane alcohol content (a single 1/2 litre bottle took me AGES to finish). People have told me that Vision and Trul are VERY strong as well, but I've never tried it. Also, the new Bainsfather bitter is max thujone (only $52 for a 1 LITRE at absinthe-order.com!) has gotten very positive customer feedback. And as I expained in my other thread, Absinthe de Extreme is ULTRA concentrated so you only need 10 DROPS to get the effect !

ladyjade, I typically think Wikipedia is fairly accurate, but in this case, yes, I would certainly have to disagree. The difference is very obvious between high and low thujone levels, although admittedly other herbs probably do make SOME difference...

...you'll never know unless you pick up a bottle, ha ha.:D