Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Camping in the desert - help!! :(

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hi

I know this might sound like a strange problem, but I'm really freaking out about it.

I'm going camping in the desert for a week soon, and it'll be first proper time camping (I camped once at a festival, but that's not the same!).

I'm normally really funny about having toilets and stuff around whenever I go out - and I'm really freaking out about spending a week somewhere where there are no toilets and no bathrooms!!!

Does anyone have any advice for me about how to get over my fear of 'going' outdoors?? Any seasoned campers (wilderness or otherwise) who have any handy tips for me??

Thanks!!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    dig a hole... with practice you'll soon get over your prudishness :p
    where are you heading?
  • Options
    Hmmm...

:yeees: Sadly, that does seem to be the only advice I've had from a couple of friends too!

I'm going to Egypt for a week - it should be amazing, but I'm worried that my 'prudishness' will overshadow the experience!! Suppose there's no 'solution' to this really, is there?? Just have to get over it....:/
  • Options
    well... best bet is to dig a hole. other than that you could always buy a 'traveling john' (portable toilet thing) which actualy isn't that hygenic, or resort to bags but i doubt you'd want to be carrying it around with you :p
  • Options
    the desert's big enough to go for a wander away from peeps
  • Options
    Just remember that everyone else will be in the same situation and will probably be thinking the same as you. I've been camping in wilderness areas and its something you just get used to.
  • Options
    I camped in the desert in Namibia. I couldn't bring myself to shit for the duration (5 days) but after the first day I could just about bring myself to wee.

You can't just pop behind a tree like in the forest. You could see for miles in every direction!

Sorry this probably doesn't really help.
  • Options
    Yeah - thanks for that randomgirl!! :p That's exactly what I was afraid of.....the desert's just big - and flat - so you could wander off for miles and people would still see you squatting away!!! Aaaaaaaa!!!! :(

Ah well - there's nothing I can do about it I suppose - but suspect I'll end up being the same.... : /