Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Richard Branson

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Insane or great?

Comments

• Options
    Hes great!
    I :heart: Richard Branson.
  • Options
    i think its guna take a lot more than that to make any siginificant difference in global warming n what not. But its a start in the right direction!
  • Options
    Insane or great?

I suspect a tax lawyer and/or tax accountant would give the best answer ;);)
  • Options
    I love the look on Bill's face.
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    i think its guna take a lot more than that to make any siginificant difference in global warming n what not. But its a start in the right direction!
    Thats not the point though
    The Virgin boss said he would commit all profits from his travel firms, such as airline Virgin Atlantic and Virgin Trains, over the next 10 years
    If more of the worlds big rich business heads were like him, we wouldnt have half the problems we do.
  • Options
    Tough one.

If he really cared, why not stop flying altogether? having said that, if 200m people (for example) are going to fly each year, then it makes better sense for them to fly with a company who will contribute something major back for the climate...
  • Options
    LOVE! He is so nice in person. I live in the same village as him
  • Options
    Insane or great?

Well some of his stunts are a bit insane, but he's a risk taker and that's what got him to where he is today.

Al Gore is really having a huge impact with his slideshow .. They said Arnie introduced tough new legislation after seeing it and now Branson, must be some pretty powerful slides he's got.
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote:
    I love the look on Bill's face.
    looks like he's trying to look down the shirt of the lady standing next to him...
  • Options
    It's a welcome development, but we need many more businessmen like him to do likewise.

Especially when you have cunts like these around...
  • Options
    Doesn't Bill Gates dnate money to this cause too?
  • Options
    looks like he's trying to look down the shirt of the lady standing next to him...

That's Richard Branson, dear. ;)
  • Options
    Nice to see someone who's shit rich spending it on something worthwhile, rather than 300million on building a super-yahgt/yaught/yught (none of those are right fucking hell, how is that spelt?!) and easily 30million a year on upkeep of said super-fuckingstupidwordanyway.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Good idea.

I still think he could be greener by glueing lots of pidgeons to the wings of his planes instead of engines.
  • Options
    What i did find interesting, at the bottom of the link the OP posted was Bill Gate's donation of $287 million for the research into an HIV/AIDS vaccine. Ta Bill.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Nice to see someone who's shit rich spending it on something worthwhile, rather than 300million on building a super-yahgt/yaught/yught (none of those are right fucking hell, how is that spelt?!) and easily 30million a year on upkeep of said super-fuckingstupidwordanyway.

yacht, me thinks

would be cool to have one though :cool: but maybe a slightly cheaper model for me...

I can't decide whether he's being nice or has other motives.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Good idea.

I still think he could be greener by glueing lots of pidgeons to the wings of his planes instead of engines.

fly07.gif
  • Options
    I hope that Branson will eventually go into politics but I fear he's probably too sensible. But he should get along with Cameron now he's a signed up member of the climate change brigade so hopefully the Conservatives can woo him.
    Aladdin wrote:
    Especially when you have cunts like these around...

What's the problem? There are some respected scientists belonging to those groups who disagree with some aspects of the global warming theory. Scientific academic freedom would surely be infringed if funding of such research were forbidden. Now, I don't want to get into my beliefs on this subject but I do think it is quite misleading that global warming is spoke of as absolute fact, I also question the claim that it is reversible if we take a few 4x4s off the road and stick windmills up everywhere.
  • Options
    Its not really a donation is it, and its not really charity either.

He is wanting to invest the profits of one business into another, surely thats just what loads and loads of other companies are doing every day.

Yes, if he can make some new wonder bio-fuel which helps us great, but do you think he'll give it away free?
  • Options
    What's the problem? There are some respected scientists belonging to those groups who disagree with some aspects of the global warming theory. Scientific academic freedom would surely be infringed if funding of such research were forbidden. Now, I don't want to get into my beliefs on this subject but I do think it is quite misleading that global warming is spoke of as absolute fact, I also question the claim that it is reversible if we take a few 4x4s off the road and stick windmills up everywhere.

The problem is that:

- Those scientists are not 'respected'- they're corrupted to the core and/or have sold themselves and their expertise for cash

- For anyone to still claim today that global warming does not exist or that man had no part in it is equivalent to suggesting the earth is flat. End of.

- Exxon are a bunch of corrupted lying cunts prepared to bribe anyone to get what they want, and then lie to the world about the consequences of their actions (global warming, drilling in the Artic, etc etc etc).

You'd have to be fucking insane not see a problem with that- and you'd have to be the world's thickest man to actually still question the existence of global warming and the catastrophic consequences this planet faces in as little as 10 years if we don't start acting more responsibly.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    The problem is that:

- Those scientists are not 'respected'- they're corrupted to the core and/or have sold themselves and their expertise for cash

I find that a lot of people just don`t like questions.

I always thought that "science" was about asking questions, not making proclamations from on high.

Could you name some "scientists" that haven`t "sold themselves" to someone ?

A recent survey showed that 80% of "physicists" are employed by the military.:shocking: :eek2:
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    The problem is that:

Well the Scientific Alliance has some pretty eminent supporters...And the Scientific Alliance like the IPN also mentioned in the article you posted is an independent organistion, neither accept donations with conditions.
    Aladdin wrote:
    - For anyone to still claim today that global warming does not exist or that man had no part in it is equivalent to suggesting the earth is flat. End of.

No, it's not. Those talking of the effects regarding global warming are putting forward a theory - it isn't indisputable fact. Why else do we have vastly differing vague beliefs on what the future consequences will be even amongst scientists in agreement on global warming?

And like it or not plenty of people far more qualified than me and you question some aspects of the global warming theory...
  • Options
    Yes- a very small minority indeed amongst the scientific community, whose ideas raise universal eyebrows and many if not most of whom are directly or indirectly supported by the likes of Exxon.

Let's not kid ourselves please.

WTF is it with right wing people and the environment? :confused:
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    WTF is it with right wing people and the environment? :confused:

Well I don't know any right wing people that supported John Prescott's trashing of the green belt.
  • Options
    However most right wing people appear to make some of the most absurd claims ever uttered by humankind, and deny hundreds of thousands of tons of scientific evidence in true Christian fundamentalist style. And all for the 'right' to make as much money as possible and to drive as pointless and selfish machines as they please, and everyone else be fucked.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    hundreds of thousands of tons of scientific evidence in true Christian fundamentalist style.

I think it's unnessecesary to include the end of that. Plenty of people deny scientific evidence, your anti-christian attitude is too much, and against the rules of this forum.

budda - no, he won't give it away for free, but that's capitalism. At least he's doing something.
  • Options
    Hes great!
    I :heart: Richard Branson.
    He would womaniserise you if He heard you say that.

Genourous though.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I think it's unnessecesary to include the end of that. Plenty of people deny scientific evidence, your anti-christian attitude is too much, and against the rules of this forum.
    What on earth are you talking about? :rolleyes:

The Christian fundamentalist mention is a comparison, and a rather valid one IMO. In case you didn't know it, Christian fundamentalists are in the habit of denying overwhelming scientific evidence regarding the age of the Earth and the Universe, claiming it's only a few thousand years old rather than the several billion years it is.

By comparison, some right wingers are denying equally compelling evidence regarding climate change and man-made global warming in what amounts to an equally absurd position.

If you think criticising claims that the Earth is 6,000 years old as ridiculous is an attack on Christianity itself you have missed the point by about 5 billion light years- but by all accounts, please report my post if you think I have broken any rules. :rolleyes:

Did you misunderstand my analogy? Or do you believe the Earth is a few thousand years old only and are offended by my skepticism?
  • Options
    I'm offended by your unnecessary inclusion. It was completely unrelated, and I have reported you for it. Everyone here knows what you think of christianity. Why you bring it into everything is beyond me. What did it have to do with the unethical business tactics of exxon/esso? Nothing, that's what. I'm not interested in discussing it, I know what you were driving at. I'm fed up of you getting away with it.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I'm offended by your unnecessary inclusion. It was completely unrelated, and I have reported you for it.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Fundies deserve all the pisstaking they can get IMO. Muslim, Christian, whatever - fundies are loons and should be mocked.