Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

I'm in desperate need of help!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
posted here because the sports board is incredibly slow

ok so for 7 years i've been playing baseball. that was until my eyesight degraded rapidly and i became legally blind with a vision in both eyes of 100/20. I could get by with only wearing glasses to read the board in class and watch TV but good luck trying to hit or field a fly ball. putting on glasses while playing baseball gave me a massive depth perception problem when hitting which went against everything i knew about batting. last year i went to the school baseball tryouts to try and make the team and in one of the more embarrassing moments in my life swung and missed every single ball that came my way. obviously i did not make the team.

this left me highly depressed for awhile and i decided i would not play any more sports because baseball was the only thing i was really good at. my interest in baseball basically vanishing.

my eyesight has since improved a small bit and we're looking in to getting me lasic surgery. now, i'm pretty skinny and since my favorite position in baseball by far was outfield i good at catching stuff (provided i can see it). I'm decently fast and play football once a week or so during lunch, making a pretty good reciever. EVERYONE keeps saying how i should join the football team but i keep frantically declineing for 2 reasons. 1, because of my inabitions from my disasterous school tryout and 2, because i always assumed that if i suddenly started playing football now, i would be way behind everyone, not know any drills, etc.

but then we had a huge family camping trip a couple weeks ago and me, all my cousins (all of whom play on football teams, and all my uncles were football stars as well), my cousin's friends and kids from other camp sites. we played a huge football game. i assumed i would suck balls compared to all these kids who are experienced at the game. but to my great surprise i played wide reciever, caught the ball everytime and made 4 out of the 7 touchdowns our team made.

since then i'm beginning to think, do i really stand a chance in hell entering football this late in the game? its to late for this year but now i'm considering going for the school team next year (i'll be a sophmore). alot of my friends who haven't played football before and are less psyichally fit then I am sya they are trying out next year. could I really do it?

I figure the only way I stand a chance is if I start practiceing NOW. i'm already working out but my question is, what can I do by myself in my own free time to get better at recieveing? is there any drills I can do to help my recieveing even if I don't have any friends to practice with at the time?

any help/advice would be GREATLY appreciated, you have no idea.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Heya. Firstly, I have no idea about your particular sports- are you tlaking baout american football? I do, however, understand when a large part of your identity and cinfidence is related to your sporting prowess and acheivements. What I would do is try to prepare yourself mentally. Repeat a mantra in your head of how ready you are and how you won't let your eyesight difficylties hold you back. As for the drills, ask the current coach of the team, and/or go and watch team practice and see what you can pick up that way.

good luck.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    its american football. and ya I was thinking I should start attending the practices/games