Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

CIA applies for permission to torture

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I fear there will be a cost to the actions of those championing the civil liberties of terrorists and I fear that it will be the mass murder of civilians.

Did internment and torture of IRA suspects help in Northern Ireland?
  • Options
    6% of 1.7m is a lot of people. Why don't you look up the poll in question on the Populus website before condemning it?

I've looked it up. IIRC, there was a thread on here about it at the time.
    Anybody who rejects the fact that there is among British Muslims a large minority committed to barbaric and backward ideals that include terrorism is deluding themselves.

Yes, there is a number of British Islamists. You however have a tendency to overstate the threat because you have an agenda to push.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,1874748,00.html
    Details emerged yesterday about the seven interrogation techniques the CIA is seeking to be allowed to apply to terror suspects.

The techniques sought by the CIA are: induced hypothermia; forcing suspects to stand for prolonged periods; sleep deprivation; a technique called "the attention grab" where a suspect's shirt is forcefully seized; the "attention slap" or open hand slapping that hurts but does not lead to physical damage; the "belly slap"; and sound and light manipulation.

The New York Times recently reported that Abu Zubaydah, the first al-Qaida member captured after the September 11 attacks, was kept in a freezing cell until he went blue, and later assailed with loud Red Hot Chili Peppers music.
    :eek: Tell me you are kidding, please.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Yes, there is a number of British Islamists. You however have a tendency to overstate the threat because you have an agenda to push.

I don't have any agenda, a threat exists and I can admit that - the liberal left seem to have trouble accepting the fact that within the Muslim community there's a huge minority committed to barbaric and backward ideals. To divert talk of this fact to false and baseless accusations is quite typical of you.
  • Options
    I don't have any agenda, a threat exists and I can admit that - the liberal left seem to have trouble accepting the fact that within the Muslim community there's a huge minority committed to barbaric and backward ideals. To divert talk of this fact to false and baseless accusations is quite typical of you.

But I dont think anyone is saying it isnt there, it is the scale of the threat and how we deal with it which are the issues.

Are internment and torture really good ideas in what is basically a 'war' of PR?
  • Options
    huge minority
    Nice use of the language there... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Well it is a minority...and it is huge, just small in comparisson to all muslims.

Same with KKK, they are radical minority, but large also in numbers in their given areas, ergo, extremists who are not representitive of Christianity and white people, yet there none the less.
  • Options

You do hav an agenda dis - to exagerrate the threat of Muslim extremism. You do it all the time on here. Something to do with justifying your support for the actions of Israel at a guess.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    You do hav an agenda dis - to exagerrate the threat of Muslim extremism. You do it all the time on here. Something to do with justifying your support for the actions of Israel at a guess.

But don't we all have agendas in that case?
  • Options
    Of course we do. We all have ideology. Its just that some people are more aware/honest about theirs than others.
  • Options
    Bullseye wrote:
    Same with KKK, they are radical minority, but large also in numbers in their given areas, ergo, extremists who are not representitive of Christianity and white people, yet there none the less.

I assume you are talking about the KKK as an organisation in a historical sense? While they still exist today in some form I don't think they number more than a few hundred fruitcakes.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Of course we do. We all have ideology. Its just that some people are more aware/honest about theirs than others.

But Dis is pretty open about the fact he's right-wing (look at his avatar) and from his posts it obvious that he's hostile to militant Islam, whether thats in the UK or in the Middle East. I'm just not sure why you are singling him out as being either having some agenda or being secretive or dishonest about his politics
  • Options
    I have no idea about his avatar, I have them turned off, they're really irritating. My point is that he is not just hostile to militant Islam (I'm hostile to militant Islam as well), its that he paints all Muslims as being militant to justify his support of Israel's brutal treatment of the Palestinians.

Oh, and I'm not "singling him out" - I say the same thing to others. As you're well aware.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I have no idea about his avatar, I have them turned off, they're really irritating. My point is that he is not just hostile to militant Islam (I'm hostile to militant Islam as well), its that he paints all Muslims as being militant to justify his support of Israel's brutal treatment of the Palestinians.

You make that claim unsurprisingly with nothing to support it. I always emphasise the term minority - however, unfortunately that minority within Islam is a large one. I point that out. Are you too thick to see how that differs from branding all Muslims as extremists?

Likewise I distinguish between the many decent and hardworking Muslims and those in the backward minority supporting forced marriages, honour killings, homophobia, anti-Semitism and terrorism. The behaviour of the latter is clearly incompatible with a civilised society, I don't see anything wrong with pointing that out. Many apologists on the far-left it seems have no qualms about cosying up with the Muslim equivalent of the BNP and NF. (See Ken welcoming the fundamentalist cleric, the Respect Party and the Stop the War Coalition). I would hope you have more principles than George Galloway and co.
  • Options
    You make that claim unsurprisingly with nothing to support it.

Your posting record speaks for itself.
    I always emphasise the term minority - however, unfortunately that minority within Islam is a large one. I point that out.

No you don't dis.
    Are you too thick to see how that differs from branding all Muslims as extremists?

I wish you could be a little bit more honest with yourself dis. :(
    Likewise I distinguish between the many decent and hardworking Muslims and those in the backward minority supporting forced marriages, honour killings, homophobia, anti-Semitism and terrorism.

You overstate the threat dis.
    The behaviour of the latter is clearly incompatible with a civilised society, I don't see anything wrong with pointing that out. Many apologists on the far-left it seems have no qualms about cosying up with the Muslim equivalent of the BNP and NF. (See Ken welcoming the fundamentalist cleric, the Respect Party and the Stop the War Coalition). I would hope you have more principles than George Galloway and co.

Ken far left? Get a grip. Oh and btw - I've been fairly vocal in condemning Galloway et al on here. I've also been fairly vocal in condemnding Islamist extremism. You however seem intent on overstating it for some reason - reasons I suspect to be to do with your unquestioning support of Israel.
  • Options
    For example
    The Populus polls I have often spoke about suggest some very worryingly high percentages of Muslims hold some very extreme views. However, even though only 6% said the 7/7 terrorists were acting according to the 'true' principles of Islam and only 13% believed the 7/7 terrorists should be considered martyrs - that is still an enormous number of people. The Muslim community is a large minority in Britain.

You state that "worryingly high percentages of Muslims hold some very extreme views". Its 6% dis. That is not "worryingly high" in anyone's book - unless you have an agenda to push. Why not state it as 94% don't think that the 7/7 bombers are acting according to true Islam? Its because you'd rather overstate the threat.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Why not state it as 94% don't think that the 7/7 bombers are acting according to true Islam? Its because you'd rather overstate the threat.

I think when you look at it like that you realise how minimal the threat really is, I was speaking to my friend last night and he was saying he can't believe we're not being bombed everyday in London, the way the media and government would have us believe we're under siege or something........fact is I'm more likely to be in a road accident, so its time to get on with life and let the intelligence services handle whatever little threat there is, like that pesky chap menezes.
  • Options
    Well, quite. Tell it to disillusioned.
  • Options
    Blagsta your hypocrisy is astounding. If anyone has an agenda its surely the person trying to subtely smear others as some sort of anti-Moslem extremist because you don't agree with their views on Israel and how high the threat of militant Islam is.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    You however seem intent on overstating it for some reason - reasons I suspect to be to do with your unquestioning support of Israel.

:confused: All rather subjective, how do I overstate Islamic extremism? I've pointed out that there's a substantial minority of Muslims that hold views that any civilised person would characterise as 'extreme' - such people are not the majority but nonetheless numerically they still constitute a lot of people. I've pointed that out, I've not seen anybody dispute any particular part of that belief - and you claiming I am exaggerating is a pretty vague denial. I don't know why you need to bring Israel into it. I was mainly thinking about extremism amongst British Muslims not Palestinians. And for the record I certainly do not support Israel unconditionally; on these boards as well as defending Israel's right to self-defence against her enemies I have criticised the Israelis for some of their policies.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Blagsta your hypocrisy is astounding. If anyone has an agenda its surely the person trying to subtely smear others as some sort of anti-Moslem extremist because you don't agree with their views on Israel and how high the threat of militant Islam is.

Pardon? Read dis's posts - I've already given an example of where he twists a poll result to his own ends. How you can accuse me of smearing him for that, I really don't understand. :confused::confused:
  • Options
    :confused: All rather subjective, how do I overstate Islamic extremism?

Well I've just pointed out one example. I can go through the rest of your posts if you like.
    I've pointed out that there's a substantial minority of Muslims that hold views that any civilised person would characterise as 'extreme' - such people are not the majority but nonetheless numerically they still constitute a lot of people. I've pointed that out, I've not seen anybody dispute any particular part of that belief - and you claiming I am exaggerating is a pretty vague denial.

I repeat - I've already pointed out one example of you exaggeratting.
    I don't know why you need to bring Israel into it. I was mainly thinking about extremism amongst British Muslims not Palestinians. And for the record I certainly do not support Israel unconditionally; on these boards as well as defending Israel's right to self-defence against her enemies I have criticised the Israelis for some of their policies.

I brought Israel into it because I was thinking about why you feel the need to overstate the threat from Islam. The only reason I can think of is because of your support for Israels policies of near genocide in Gaza, your support of their indiscriminate bombing of Lebanon and your exagerration of the threat to Israel from its Islamic neighbours. If you brand Islam as a religion of extremism and violence then you're justified in your support of the indiscriminate murder of Palestinians and others who may (or may not) support groups such as Hamas and Hezbollah.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    You state that "worryingly high percentages of Muslims hold some very extreme views". Its 6% dis. That is not "worryingly high" in anyone's book - unless you have an agenda to push. Why not state it as 94% don't think that the 7/7 bombers are acting according to true Islam? Its because you'd rather overstate the threat.

6% of over 1.5 million people is a huge number. Or can't you do the maths?

And 6% wasn't the only worryingly high percentage.
    Thinking about the Jewish community in Britain, how far do you agree or disagree with the following statements?

They are legitimate targets as part of the ongoing struggle for justice in the Middle East

Very much/ Somewhat agree - 37%

See the December 9th - December 19th 2005 poll from the Times on the Populus website.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Pardon? Read dis's posts - I've already given an example of where he twists a poll result to his own ends. How you can accuse me of smearing him for that, I really don't understand. :confused::confused:
    The Populus polls I have often spoke about suggest some very worryingly high percentages of Muslims hold some very extreme views. However, even though only 6% said the 7/7 terrorists were acting according to the 'true' principles of Islam and only 13% believed the 7/7 terrorists should be considered martyrs - that is still an enormous number of people. The Muslim community is a large minority in Britain.

My bold -

There's about 1.5m Muslims in the UK - thats 90,000 people who believe that the 7/7 terrorists were following the true principles of Islam and 195,000 who believe they should be considered martyrs. Given that it only takes a few people to make and then plant a series of bombs on the underground I'd agree with Dis and say 90,000 people who basically say they were right is an enormous number of people. Even if only 1% decide that they too will want to follow the 'true principles of Islam' that's still 900 people.

So who's twisting what here? Is Dis twisting a poll or are you twisting his words?
  • Options
    6% of over 1.5 million people is a huge number. Or can't you do the maths?

Yes, I can do maths, thanks for your concern.
    And 6% wasn't the only worryingly high percentage.

6% is not a high percentage. 6 out of 100 is quite low. What was that about maths? Yes, I'm aware it amounts to 90,000 people. However, i94% (now that is a high percentage) don't think that the 7/7 bombers are true Muslims. That amounts to 1,410,000 people.

People in polls often answer untruthfully or exaggerate to make a point. Anyway, even if they all answered truthfully with no exagerration - so what? People can believe what the hell they like. What % do you think are likely to act on those beliefs? See, its the fact that you concentrate on only one interpretation of things like this that leads me to think you have an agenda.
    See the December 9th - December 19th 2005 poll from the Times on the Populus website.

Yes, I remember it - there was a thread on it here iirc.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Yes, I remember it - there was a thread on it here iirc.

Pretty worrying don't you think?
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    My bold -

There's about 1.5m Muslims in the UK - thats 90,000 people who believe that the 7/7 terrorists were following the true principles of Islam and 195,000 who believe they should be considered martyrs. Given that it only takes a few people to make and then plant a series of bombs on the underground I'd agree with Dis and say 90,000 people who basically say they were right is an enormous number of people. Even if only 1% decide that they too will want to follow the 'true principles of Islam' that's still 900 people.

So who's twisting what here? Is Dis twisting a poll or are you twisting his words?

He is being rather contradictory there. He is saying its a high percentage (it isn't), then claiming that its "only" 6%, then getting worried about how many people it is. Yes, its a lot of people - but its a small proportion of people who believe that. So what if they believe it? They can believe whatever the hell they like. Are 90,000 people likely to act on it? Are the 1,410,000 people who don't believe that the 7/7 bombers are true Muslims going to have any influence? These are the things we should be discussing, not getting hysterical about the results of opinion polls.

btw, if anyone is interested, here's the complete poll

http://www.populuslimited.com/pdf/2006_07_04_Times_ITV.pdf

and a summary

http://www.populuslimited.com/poll_summaries/2006_07_04_Times_ITV.htm
  • Options
    Pretty worrying don't you think?

Its not good that people believe that. But people can believe whatever they like. Its whether they're likely to act on it that is the proper subject of debate.
  • Options
    It's not just the 6% that concerns me.

If 37% of British Muslims believe the Jewish community in Britain are 'legitimate' targets that is very serious.

Whether it's 6% or 60% doesn't matter - it's the actual number of people holding those views that shapes the threat. Were there only 1000 Muslims in Britain then 600 people would not pose a huge threat - but 6% of 1.5 million equates to a lot of people holding some very extreme views. (And 37% is well frightening).
  • Options
    It's not just the 6% that concerns me.

If 37% of British Muslims believe the Jewish community in Britain are 'legitimate' targets that is very serious.

Really? Where do you get that figure from?