Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Taliban 'tougher than expected'

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Darn, and we all thought they were going to be a pushover, after the Soviet Union softened them up for ten years, before leaving of their own accord in 1989...

I imagine that in some alternative reality, Tony Blair is being tried for treason, after diverting the troops needed to keep the lid on A-stan during the reforms, to the goosechase in Iraq.

Here, we wonder if he should stay in office for another full year.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    And the years and years of military training and large scale funding by the US probably made them a much easier enemy too.

If we moved all the troops we have in Iraq to Afghanistan we might have some hope of stopping the drugs trade and bringing peace.
    Are we trying to stop the drugs trade? I had no idea, i thought we were suppose to be rebuilding that countries industries after all.

I think, since most of the country is a desert anyway, and all that stuff, whats the point. Just you know, seal it up, control the boarders and do the occasional spy plane fly by.
    Bullseye wrote:
    Are we trying to stop the drugs trade? I had no idea, i thought we were suppose to be rebuilding that countries industries after all.

I think, since most of the country is a desert anyway, and all that stuff, whats the point. Just you know, seal it up, control the boarders and do the occasional spy plane fly by.

Yep, even though every country knows that supply side interventions never work, are costly in both money and lives and help the drug dealers in the western world.

Control the boarders? How on earth do you fancy doing that?
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    The Russians couldn't do it cos America trained and helped and armed the fuckers.

Now the British it seems must pa the price. We're still doing fucking well there though... notice the US are still cocking up Iraq...:rolleyes: Iraq is a no hoper now... Afghanistahn there is potential and we can do alot well there.

Mate in Royal Anglian out there next year... April... off to Helmand... 1st Battalion.. The Vikings! They'll be the only Infantr out there then.