Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Ledger Clerk or Stockbroker?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, so i have been a Ledger Clerk (amongst all the other jobs i do at my business) for some time now. A whole year in fact. I think the work is ok, and working for my family business gives me free time when i want it and a casual dress code plus i can say i have experience in management as i am practically the Boss apart from my dad and brother.

It cannot last, however. My dad will eventually sell up or hand over to my brother to be the main boss. So, i have to start thinking about my future. I am happy to keep up the job for the next 6-12 months. Then, its serious chips down time.

Do i look into more work as a Ledger Clerk? I have experience, i can do it on small and large scale, i have experience in other areas plus working with people...well, people working for me anyway.
OR
Do i look else where, stockbrokers in the city that i know of that i have a chance with should i go after it.

Both would require me to learn more and new things and improve myself, both would be based where i live, Leeds, and both are jobs i think i can do and actually get if i apply for them. Plus, the money and benefits and 25 days a year holiday are not be scoffed at.

For now, i am just thinking out loud, using this forum as a sounding board, etc, but still, it is on my mind now and will be until the time comes to make that choice in 6-12 months.

(ironically now was suppose to be decision time, but staff shortages require my presence a little longer)

Comments

• Options
    go for stockbroking

i would go for stockbroking because:
    - it is a different role and therefore shows you can adapt
    - a wider experience in the different role
    - consider the career path of ledger clerk and stockbroking, which is more promising?
    - you could earn big money in the City of London or even in Europe or in the US

this is all secondary information - I don't know it first hand but these are the facts i have read and am passing on
  • Options
    - consider the career path of ledger clerk and stockbroking, which is more promising?

I agree with this - I don't know the answer though because of course it's a subjective thing. But what I think might be good for you is to write a list of all the pros and cons you can see of each job. Do you know anyone in stockbroking? It's always good to hear about it from the horses mouth.

You've had experience as a ledger clerk - can you see yourself enjoying it in the long term? Will it continue to challenge you, and be something you enjoy? Try and think about aspects of both roles for the short term when you're trying to find a role, and how those same paths might look in 1, 3, 5 years time. This might make your decision a little clearer (or make it more difficult - who knows!?)

Anyway it sounds like an exciting but daunting time, so best of luck with it all and let us know how you go.