Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Scared of flying

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I'm going to florida in just under 7 weeks, and i'm really shitting myself about flying now after all this terrorist stuff. I know its probably unlikely now as its been found out and they'll probably be planning something else. But the security will probably have been relaxed now and i'm just going to be terrified. I've never liked flying in the first place either.
Plus i've just started 6th form and i'm worried about missing work. While i'm away, and last time i missed alot of work i got really stressed.
I suffer from panic attacks and anxiety aswell. Is there anything i can do to try and relax myself before flying? Anything i can get from the doctors?

By the way this was supposed to be a surprise holiday so by the time i found out it was too late to do anything.

Sorry if i sound stupid.:blush:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    you should be right to be worried about missing work, only fools go during school times. thats about the only thing to be worried about, theres is little or no threat to you going on a plane, so just chill.

i dont like flying but do it because otherwise i wouldnt go anywhere.
    koe_182 wrote:
    you should be right to be worried about missing work, only fools go during school times. thats about the only thing to be worried about, theres is little or no threat to you going on a plane, so just chill.

i dont like flying but do it because otherwise i wouldnt go anywhere.
    Like i said, i had no idea about this holiday till it was too late. But tbh, if holiday companies would help out by not putting up costs in holidays then we wouldn't have this problem.
    In the case of the work, make sure your tutors know about it and ask in advance if there's any work you can do so that you're not too behind when you get back. I'm not suggesting you write an essay whilst lying on the beach, but if there is a book you will need to read and you like reading, you could take it with you and read it on the plane to take your mind off the fear of flighting - two birds, one stone and all that! :)
    In the case of the work, make sure your tutors know about it and ask in advance if there's any work you can do so that you're not too behind when you get back. I'm not suggesting you write an essay whilst lying on the beach, but if there is a book you will need to read and you like reading, you could take it with you and read it on the plane to take your mind off the fear of flighting - two birds, one stone and all that! :)

This seems like a good idea.
    Work wise tell all your tutors well in advance and make sure that by the time you leave you have no work outstanding and ideally have read ahead in the text books.

Flying wise, a glass of wine will help (although I'm not convinced your old enough). Depending on how sympathetic your GP is they may prescribe you a small amount of something like valium. They will also be able to give you tips for managing your fear.

Top statistic for you, your safer in the plane and the airport than you are in the car on the way there.:thumb:
    I hate flying as well but i do lots of it and when travelling alone have ended up holding hands with a variety of random people.

However its also quite useful to remind yourself that your average airplane takes off and lands at a speed only slightly faster than a car going down an autobhan.

That even if all the engines fail you can still glide for about 100 miles.

Turbulance is fine once your up in the air as your so far up even if you dropped thousands of feet you'd still be stupidly high about the ground - just think of it like being in a boat thats going up and down on waves.
    Wyetry wrote:
    I hate flying as well but i do lots of it and when travelling alone have ended up holding hands with a variety of random people.

However its also quite useful to remind yourself that your average airplane takes off and lands at a speed only slightly faster than a car going down an autobhan.

That even if all the engines fail you can still glide for about 100 miles.

Turbulance is fine once your up in the air as your so far up even if you dropped thousands of feet you'd still be stupidly high about the ground - just think of it like being in a boat thats going up and down on waves.
    100 miles isn't much when about 7 out of the 9 hours is spent flying over the atlantic! :p
    Ballerina wrote:
    100 miles isn't much when about 7 out of the 9 hours is spent flying over the atlantic! :p

If your going to florida then you actually spend only about 2 or 3 hours crossing the atlantic the rest of the flight your go down the east cost of america or your over europe.
    Wyetry wrote:
    If your going to florida then you actually spend only about 2 or 3 hours crossing the atlantic the rest of the flight your go down the east cost of america or your over europe.

How does that work out?

A plane flies about 500 MPH so in 2 or 3 hours you'd have only got half way across the atlantic?

Unless you took the concorde?
    How does that work out?

A plane flies about 500 MPH so in 2 or 3 hours you'd have only got half way across the atlantic?

Unless you took the concorde?

Because on the normal route to the US you cross the atlantic at its shortest point - the bit in the north between scotland and greenland. then you spend AGES flying down over canada and the east cost - but you do get an excellent view.

Clearly i'm the only person who is obsessed with looking at those map things on the screen whilst flying.
    Wyetry wrote:
    Because on the normal route to the US you cross the atlantic at its shortest point - the bit in the north between scotland and greenland. then you spend AGES flying down over canada and the east cost - but you do get an excellent view.

Clearly i'm the only person who is obsessed with looking at those map things on the screen whilst flying.

Nah the one time i flew to America i kept an eye on that. The view was pretty.
    I'm shit scared of flying and the doctor gave me valium. I find that a double whisky calms me down (but you probs shouldnt mix that with the valium)
    not that it has anything to do with fear...
    but remember to put brown paper bags in your bra when you fly :yes:
    when i went last time we only seemed to be flying down the coast for about 2 or 3 hours. Rest of the time it was the atlantic.

I think coming back we fly straight across though. But its always quicker coming back. Not sure if its cause we're flying in the same direction of the earth turning.
    otter wrote:
    not that it has anything to do with fear...
    but remember to put brown paper bags in your bra when you fly :yes:

i really racked my brains for ages thinking about this and then realised I needed to ask...why?!

Flying can be horrible if you're scared of it. Im not keen on the taking off bit but the rest is fine. The terrorist threat isnt too bad I dont think now! I went on three flights in one day (practically) last week and the amount of security is massive. I practically got undressed to go through the scanner thingys.

Florida will be worth it! I've just come back and it was awesome.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    i really racked my brains for ages thinking about this and then realised I needed to ask...why?!
    To throw up probably, but why in the bra and not the pockets like a normal person? Although I've never been in a plane that didn't have a bag like that for each seat already.
    rachie004 wrote:
    I doubt even a glider would glide 100miles - let alone a 'heavy' aircraft

Nope, they can and have done done 90-100 miles unpowered. You have to remember how high you are and how fast you are travelling. Bigger aircraft actually glide much much better than smaller aircraft, due to a bigger surface area of the wings which keeps the aircraft aloft for longer. 30 minutes on no engines is attainable.

You probably havent heard about the Air Transat A330 that glided 90+ miles to land in the Azores in the Atlantic, had a fuel leak and the crew didn't respond by switching off the fuel crossfeed so they unknowingly dumped all there fuel. But thankfully they 'made up' for their error by landing!