Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Pain in the arse!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Why can I not go shopping in my local shopping centre, without being harrassed by various different companies trying to sell me their latest, car insurance/loans/credit cards/double glazing and dentistry. Why don't these shopping centres realise that they are losing customers because of these people. Although I love shopping, I find it stressful enough without trying to fight off people who are so persistant, and don't take NO for an answer. I'd rather just go somewhere else and save myself the hassel. I hate people trying to push things at me, especially credit cards, I find them people so false, knowing that credit cards get the average person in to debt and they try to look as if they are doing you a favour :mad:
..not to mention the fact i don't need any of this shit, and if i did, I would just look in the phone book!!!
:banghead:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If you look look fairly young, a good way to get them to leave you alone is to tell them you're under 18. Even if they don't believe you, what can they do?

Works for me :thumb:
    lol i should try that, people are always saying i don't look very old.
    kaffrin wrote:
    If you look look fairly young, a good way to get them to leave you alone is to tell them you're under 18. Even if they don't believe you, what can they do?

I find that "How are you today?" "Busy" usually works. Failing that "Fuck Off."
    The ones like british gas etc who are trying to get you to change or something i just tell them i am already with them. Same as rac etc.
    kaffrin wrote:

yeah i do look underage, that's a great idea, That will shut them up :lol:

Oh and what about the Personal injury people, They say "have you had a trip,fall or been in a serious accident?? Do i look like i have been in a serious accident for gods sake. Then they say, "has your son had an accident in the past 5 years" bearing in mind my son is only 3, Are these people very stupid as well as annoying?!
    Wear headphones, even if there's no music on the other end. They probably wont approach you in the first place, if they do you cant hear them! ;)
    I think i should get a custom made t-shirt, saying something along the lines of F off, and point to it? Or would that be anti-social? :)
    I usually just tell em i'm going through bankrupcy. :)
    noog wrote:

would that not make them more keen? credit card/loan companies.

I get pissed off for feeling like I have to explain myself to them
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Wear headphones, even if there's no music on the other end. They probably wont approach you in the first place, if they do you cant hear them! ;)

:yes: This works a treat.

It's the same situation down any high street you walk down too. I've gotten used to them a bit now, though.
    noog wrote:
    My other half does that!

When I was last down in Newcastle I got harassed walking around Asda doing my shopping by a guy trying to get me to get a credit card.
    They really don't bother me particularly, I just don't stop walking and say "No thank you." What bothers me more are people handing out nightclub flyers when I'm out in the city centre, as they aren't just wasting their breath, they're wasting paper as well.
    Can you not just keep walking and not even acknowledge them? Thats what I do to the harassing lotion and cell phone people in the malls. It's very simple and very effective :thumb:
    my_name wrote:
    Can you not just keep walking and not even acknowledge them? Thats what I do to the harassing lotion and cell phone people in the malls. It's very simple and very effective :thumb:
    Yeah but it's like dealing with trolls. Everyone know the best thing to do is just ignore them, but it doesn't prevent everyone from wanting to come up with a witty way of telling them to fuck off.
    i always just say "im not interested, thankyou"
    They never perservere, especially when im halfway down the street.
    The ones that really annoy me are the people working for like Save the Children or something, trying to recruit you to donate money etc....if i want to give to charity then i will, but not through someone stood on the street, who leaps n you as you're walking past, and who gets commision for recruiting you!! also hate the people who try nd recruit you for consumer surveys...:mad:
    The one's I hate are Big Issue sellers. If you refuse to buy a big issue, they say 'well thankyou very much, I hope you have a lovely day' in the most sarcastic tone. Bastards.
    The ones that really annoy me are the people working for like Save the Children or something, trying to recruit you to donate money etc....if i want to give to charity then i will, but not through someone stood on the street, who leaps n you as you're walking past, and who gets commision for recruiting you!! also hate the people who try nd recruit you for consumer surveys...:mad:
    It's technically illegal for those people with a tin to rattle it isn't it? So how can it be legal for them to stop you in the street? That's far worse.
    The one's I hate are Big Issue sellers. If you refuse to buy a big issue, they say 'well thankyou very much, I hope you have a lovely day' in the most sarcastic tone. Bastards.

Yeah they also looks as if they are going to murder you.
    No offence to them, but I really don't wanna buy a magazine that they have had their grubby mitts on.

I've never had this happen to me. The last time someone tried to sell me the Big Issue, I told them (what I said was actually true) I had no money adn they left me alone.
    I just say 'no thankyou' as soon as they approach me, and they say 'no, sir..' and then repeat 'no thankyou'. Same on the phone, at the door, everything. Just don't let them get a word in :D and they give up soon enough! Someone said on the phone he'd already sent a free phone to me or something and I just 'byeee'.

Tres annoying, just ignore them matey.
    lol avoiding eye contact is key because that is the first thing any person trying to get your attention will do, if they do catch your eye contact you almost feel obliged to hear them out, maybe i'm just too nice......and as mentioned headphones work a treat......if they still approach i just smile and say 'no thanks' with one hand raised so it's clear i'm not interested, that's never failed to work for me, no need to be rude really and i do occasionally stop for the charity folks, it really depends what kind of vibe i get from them, if they're at all forceful it does put me right off.
    i always just cut sales people/charities/beggars off with a blunt 'No thanks.' and keep walking, if they persist in annoying me i'll just turn to them and say something along the lines of 'look mate im not interested yeah so fuck off!'
    The Big Issue sellers around here are always very nice, not at all pushy or rude.
    Walk faster and tell them you're late for something, also very effective.

And I know a couple of people who pretend to be foreign, although I suspect this is as much to entertain themselves as to fend off the people. This works best if you actually can speak a relatively obscure language.
    No offence to them, but I really don't wanna buy a magazine that they have had their grubby mitts on.

Im glad I'm not the only one who thinks that ;)

However, I'll always give them a couple of quid if they've got a dog with them, I'm a softie for all that.

What pisses me off the most is attendants in nightclub toilets, so fucking obnoxious, but then again I would be if I had to sit around in the bogs all day.
    kaffrin wrote:
    Walk faster and tell them you're late for something, also very effective.

I sometimes do this.
    I also tell them Im only 16. Tough shit I'm not gonna give them money if theyre getting 8 quid an hour, and I also deeply dislike students and many of them are that certain breed.
    My dad repeateley asks the phone people what their selling until he hangs up. The favourite at work my boss uses for the cold callers is to tell them that it is his last day.
    kaffrin wrote:

That is what I do. I do not think they believe me though. But it seems to work