Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Muslim anger at vatican

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/5347876.stm

What does everyone think of this?

I am becoming further increasingly alienated with Islam and Muslims themselves.

It were a comment which intended to have no offence what’s so ever.

We have dictators in the Middle East, especially Iran, who can state they wish to blow Israel off the map, if there is any condemnation to this from Israel, they’re accused of wanting to destroy Muslims and Islam. Double Standards!

In addition to this, many Muslims have expressed their anger over a few words. I find this very disrespectful of western principles. The Vatican is in Italy, a democracy, freedom of speech. The words did not promote violence as opposed to Islamic extremists in the mid east. Second to this, many Muslims probably will get violent over this, just like they did over the cartoons. They have already started to be very disrespectful toward the catholic religion with their insults and burnings of the pope as a modal.
Muslims and Islam peaceful? I’m not so sure.

Comments

• Options
    Seriously, you think that the Vatican is in any position to make this kind of statement?
  • Options
    It's the Catholic Church, anything goes!
  • Options
    deleted cos its luke and hes not worth debating with.
  • Options
    Muslim leaders could start a fight in an empty room.

You'd never guess that their religious culture is more than 800 years younger than Christianity. We got past this in about 1500.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    We got past this in about 1500.

On paper we did, from the Inquisitions to the troubles in N.I there's still a lot of infighting.
  • Options
    Seriously, you think that the Vatican is in any position to make this kind of statement?
    Why shouldn't they? The statement isn't as extreme as Muslims are perceiving it.
  • Options
    deleted cos its luke and hes not worth debating with.
    Why bother posting this then is beyond me.
  • Options
    Does anyone think this could prove something more serious or will it die down like the cartoons eventually did?
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    Why bother posting this then is beyond me.
    because i wrote something and then deleted it, but you cant actually properly delete posts anymore.
  • Options
    luke88 wrote:
    Why shouldn't they? The statement isn't as extreme as Muslims are perceiving it.

..and the Catholic Church isn't pure enough to bandy about any such allegations.
  • Options
    Both sides are slightly in the wrong i think. The pope should have found a better way to say what he was trying to say. These muslims groups kick up a fuss over anything.
  • Options
    Reading the BBC article it seems that the 'offensive' remarks were merely something the Pope quoted and not an opinion the Pope endorsed...Meh, maybe the Pope was slightly out of line - just a shame the Muslim community can't kick up such a fuss over far more inflammatory stuff from Muslims.
  • Options
    Yeah he just quoted something, and then apologised for any offence caused afterwards, which is fair enough. But tbh, if you witness what happens in certain parts of the Catholic and Christian community over something they've heard about a film, book or play, without actually seeing/reading it themselves, then the Muslim reactions are no different tbh.
  • Options
    Did anyone actually read the speech?

He quoted what he did simply to prove a point about the theological differences related with philosophy between Christianity and Islam; and from there he proceeded to speak about the relationship of Catholic theology and Greek philosophy. The speech is ultimately about this subject imho.

Though admittedly not very tactful he wasn't using the quote to express his opinion of Islam, but as a starting point for a theological statement.
  • Options
    ...if you witness what happens in certain parts of the Catholic and Christian community...
    Thank you for that :thumb:
  • Options
    I'm not religious at all, But I am considering becoming Cathlic now, It's about time someone told it as it is!!!! :yippe:
  • Options
    But tbh, if you witness what happens in certain parts of the Catholic and Christian community over something they've heard about a film, book or play, without actually seeing/reading it themselves, then the Muslim reactions are no different tbh.

Well they are different. One would have to go back to medieval times to see a religious Christian response comparable to Muslim behaviour during the cartoons 'controversy.'
  • Options

Thankyou, case closed.
  • Options
    Well they are different. One would have to go back to medieval times to see a religious Christian response comparable to Muslim behaviour during the cartoons 'controversy.'
    What, you mean like people protesting that God hates gays at gay weddings, or claiming that September 11th was God punishing America at the funerals of soldiers returning from Iraq. Here. Not much difference between that and the marches regarding the cartoon controversy if you ask me. Obviously in countries that lack religious freedom and are less developed than Western countries in that respect, the reaction is going to be more extreme.
  • Options
    I think the new pope is a complete cunt, but what do you expect from an ex-nazi?
  • Options

Correction - the behaviour of some Muslims.
  • Options
    I think the new pope is a complete cunt, but what do you expect from an ex-nazi?

Very informative. :rolleyes:

From 1936 Hitler Youth membership was forced through law, he had to attend it.

He is a cunt though, so is most of the Catholic hierarchy. Nothing the simple layman like myself can do about it.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:

I didnt know that bit.
  • Options
    What, you mean like people protesting that God hates gays at gay weddings, or claiming that September 11th was God punishing America at the funerals of soldiers returning from Iraq. Here. Not much difference between that and the marches regarding the cartoon controversy if you ask me. Obviously in countries that lack religious freedom and are less developed than Western countries in that respect, the reaction is going to be more extreme.

Fred Phelps and his Church is a cult that doesn't even have a thousand followers. Their disgusting behaviour is thankfully limited to a tiny fringe within Christianity, the same cannot be said of the disgusting behaviour of thousands of Muslims during the cartoons controversy. Unfortunately, even 'moderate' Muslim groups were trying to justify the actions of angry mobs in the Arab world...
  • Options
    Until you kick up a fuss, check the context. It was part of an academic speech and was a referenced quote as part of that. It's the journos we should be complaining about, taking something out of context and reporting it to make a good stirring story.

Benedetto (the current pope) isn't a bad guy and there are over 1 million young people across the world who heard him speak in a rather large field in Germany last summer who would vouch for that.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:

No different than all the other coerced "education" throughout the ages; and modern day state education.

Indoctrination by another name.

I think it was the Jesuits who used to say "Give me the child and I`ll give you the man".
  • Options
    Fred Phelps and his Church is a cult that doesn't even have a thousand followers.

Whilst I`m dropping quotes, how about one from Frank Zappa ?

"The only difference between a cult and a religion is the amount of real estate they own"
  • Options
    I think you'll find it's also linked to number of followers and establishment.
  • Options
    Some outraged Palestinians have responded to the Pope's remarks by attacking Churches.
  • Options
    Some outraged Palestinians have responded to the Pope's remarks by attacking Churches.

I love the way you get all outraged at stuff like that, yet support Israel's murder and starvation of Palestinians.