Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Will I have enough time?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The answer at Oxford would have been simple, no job, end of.

You should get a tutor at York though too.

I know, but would have liked the whole ethos of 'work hard to become brilliant' kinda thing. Outta my league, mind you.
  • Options
    :lol:

The illusions Oxbridge creates! If you want to work hard you'll do it anywhere, and if you want to dos you'll do it anywhere. An Oxbridge tutor won't stop you any more than any other will.
  • Options
    I'm aware of that :). It's nothing really, when I was little I always wanted to go to Oxford for some reason... I enjoyed it when I was there too :p though realised to do Maths there I would have needed about 50 A level As and just wasn't up to the standard. It just feels like (as in, not reality, but the impression I have...) Oxford (and Cambridge) are for 'serious' academics, whereas the others are all... part timers. Ooh I've just slagged off most of the board members. Sorry :(
  • Options
    I'll think you find on a Maths course at York there are plenty of serious academics, for starters look at the grades people had to get to get there! You'll have a great time at York and will probably have a better work/life balance on a week to week basis than you may have had elsewhere.
  • Options
    Yea, I'm glad I'm going York! :) Really I wouldn't have coped... all I meant to say was that it was a childhood fantasy to become an internationally renowned academic from Oxford :p haha! (yes, I'm sad)

But going to take the first two weeks without a job and then if I feel I'm doing ok, take on more stuff gradually...
  • Options
    Excellent plan!

Go to freshers fayre and get all the blurb on stuff you may be interested in, find out about that, then settle and sort a job.

And don't give up all hope, if it's still your dream in 5 years time, there are plenty of Oxford (and Cam) academics who did undergrad and even post grad elsewhere.
  • Options
    Possibly :) I'm just gonna work hard and see if I can get a first :p haha!

I still have no clue what I want to do... possibly a chartered accountant / acturial work as the financial rewards are pretty amazing and the works seems pretty interesting too. But then I thought, was a MMath degree OTT for this kind of work? I could try getting a job with an accountancy firm with my a levels, for example.

May end up just living in universities, doing research and getting sponsored :chin:
  • Options
    The eternal student!

See how your year at uni goes, round February time think about looking for a summer job, it's a good way to get ideas about what you want to do in the future (I slightly changed course as a result of mine).:chin: