Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Drug Education in Schools is not working

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/5344310.stm

Interesting, its the top story on the beeb and the Independant ran a big front page story similar to this yesterday. Methinks it might just be a media fad though, such as those that have come before.

But maybe, just maybe...a rethink is on the horizon.

Comments

• Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Anything in there in particular you agree or disagree with Martin?
  • Options
    An audit of why its not working would be a good idea, but then a full audit of why the whole drug policy isnt working would be a good idea too.

But then its not as simple as just drug education being crap (which it appears to still be) questions have got to be asked as to why teenagers are wanting to get wasted on alcohol and drugs so often.
  • Options
    i was more throwing it out as a topic of discussion, i'm gonna have a bit more of a think before posting any comment.
  • Options
    When I was 15 in school a drugs advisor person came in, he was talking about heroin and then said "and there's a smokeable version of heroin called crack," even I knew then that was bollocks.

Anyway, Budda is right, all the education in the world will do nothing if you don't look the causes of drug abuse. While most of us take drugs for pure enjoyment there's quite a few who do it for other reasons. Mainly because they're poor and have no formal education. What life is there for these people other than drink and drugs?
  • Options
    There was a report on BBC Scotland last night about a proposition that would see random drugs testing accompanying some new drugs education shake-up, complete with 15 year olds nodding their head in neive agreement.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    Anyway, Budda is right, all the education in the world will do nothing if you don't look the causes of drug abuse. While most of us take drugs for pure enjoyment there's quite a few who do it for other reasons. Mainly because they're poor and have no formal education. What life is there for these people other than drink and drugs?

Which is what I hate about virtually all the measures to cut under age drinking and drug use, they are largely just about criminalising the under 18's.

ASBO's and dispersal orders are not the way to integrate kids into the community.
  • Options
    I had one lot of drugs teahings at school from a copper, he only told me one bit of info that I remembered and the rest was a bag of shit. I learnt most of my knowledge from taking them myself, my mum, family and places like this.