Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Thank you, TheSite.org

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    lipsy wrote:
    he just cant seem to face any of lifes challenges. i think a lot of people had hopes that university would be really good for sg because he has a lot of growing up to do and a lot to learn about life. he gets his chance and then off he slinks back to the comfort of home.
    I actually find the claim that I "can't seem to face any of life's challenges" downright offensive. I have faced a hell of a lot already in my time. Then again, you're entitled to your opinion. Similarly, I am entitled to point out that I thoroughly look forward to the prospect of proving you wrong, and watching you eat your words in 2007.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    You're entitled to your opinion. Similarly, I am entitled to point out that I thoroughly look forward to the prospect of proving you wrong in 2007.
    i hope you do!
  • Options
    Lipsy, I think you're being a bit quick to insult him here. I'm sure he didn't take this decision lightly, and personally I'd rather make the same decision and be happier for it than stick it out and be really miserable, not make the best of my course etc. Try to remember that not everyone can deal with difficult situations well, and SG has made the right decision for HIM. As it's him that has to deal with it an not you, I really think that you are out of order in calling him pathetic and lacking in balls.

Give him the benefit of the doubt - he's said he is reapplying in November and will be working until 2007 entry.
  • Options
    i dont care what you think! i have a right to my opinion and even sg recognises that. especially considering i have spent time giving him advice and wishing him luck in previous threads.

i hope he does prove me wrong though!
  • Options
    Oh, well thanks for that. I know you have a right to your opinion, just as I have a right to disagree with it.

I'm sure SG is grateful for the 30 seconds you spent wishing him luck in previous threads.

I hope he proves you wrong as well.
  • Options
    Personally I think it was a hasty decision, maybe you should have got a better feel of the uni before coming to this conclusion.

Most people I know have trouble with money, my loan still hasn't come through but I'm managing without. Just get a lend of it with the promise of re-paying or get an overdraft from the bank.

As for accommodation, nowhere's perfect. There'll always be wee nigling things but that's half the buzz, it's supposed to be challenging, it's all about showing you can live independantly from home.

Maybe you're not ready for that now and I respect your decision, I'd just advise you do stick at it next year and don't let the small things get too you too much!
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    because i think hes pathetic! he's admitted what his real reason was -he didnt like his accomodation. i bet if you asked all students they would all have had some sort of problem or stress that they've had to deal with.
    oh and yes he has such balls to tell people on the internet that he quit.. yeah if he had balls he wouldn't have given up so soon. he just cant seem to face any of lifes challenges. i think a lot of people had hopes that university would be really good for sg because he has a lot of growing up to do and a lot to learn about life. he gets his chance and then off he slinks back to the comfort of home.

You really are one angry little person aren't you. Oh and if you're going to quote me, then quote me properly and not put in your own random shit.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:
    You really are one angry little person aren't you. Oh and if you're going to quote me, then quote me properly and not put in your own random shit.
    lol no im not angry :D
  • Options
  • Options
    I'm sorry to see how things worked out SG, people handle situations differently and hopefully you'll find a situation that you are comfortable with in the future.

And as to certain other posters (sorry did I say posters, I meant poster) whilst everyone is entitled to an opinion there's a difference between voicing your views and taking an opportunity to judge or even attack someone.

Regardless of where that agression or bitterness might be from, I suppose it might be best to consider that it wouldn't be apparent if someone didn't care about your situation SG.

Still I guess all the world's problems would be resolved if we could all just be called pathetic and told to pull our socks up when we didn't manage to succeed at everything we tried.
  • Options
    /
  • Options
    Thats a shame :(

I know how you feel, moving away miles from home. I had a cack freshers week, I didn't get into halls, I was in a horrible mouldy house with a load of chinese people who hardly spoke english and 1 2nd year, further from the campus than i would have liked. my loan didn't come in for 3 weeks so I couldn't go out. I ended up sitting in my lectures for the whole of the first term on my own cos I was too shy to talk to anyone, and everyone had friends after freshers week. So believe me I know how you must have felt! it was AWFUL. I was on antidepresants by the end of the 1st year.

HOWEVER. People in my house swapped around and I ended up sharing with 3 girls who I'm still good friends with now. I made friends eventually and in the 2nd year got a new house with different people. I'm now going into my 3rd year in a lovely flat with my bf and the best friends a girl could ask for!

So I totally don't blame you for running a mile! I very nearly did and if it wasnt for my bf I think I would have. Its bollocks when life shits on you. Hopefully next time it'll go much better for you. Good luck :thumb:
  • Options
    I have some idea where Lipsy was coming from on this. After all, I've done God knows how many threads about the subject of university. Whether it be issues with student debt, the student life or indeed, a recipe thread that another user started for me, it's been debated. If she felt a sense of frustration after learning that, after all that, I was no longer going ahead with it, that would be understandable.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I have some idea where Lipsy was coming from on this. After all, I've done God knows how many threads about the subject of university. Whether it be issues with student debt, the student life or indeed, a recipe thread that another user started for me, it's been debated. If she felt a sense of frustration after learning that, after all that, I was no longer going ahead with it, that would be understandable.
    naa im sorry i was harsh but i'm the type of person to just say what i think and not sugar coat it. i just think its a real shame!
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    naa im sorry i was harsh but i'm the type of person to just say what i think and not sugar coat it. i just think its a real shame!
    A side of me also feels it's a damn pity. I won't know for certain whether I made the right decision until the end of 2007. I'm not sure where I'll end up - it's unlikely to be Bristol again, lovely a city as that is. I turned down Manchester once, and I'm not at all sure why. It's a serious consideration.
  • Options
    No point moaping (sp?) about it now, the deed is done. Get on with it and reapply for next year.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    No point moaping (sp?) about it now, the deed is done. Get on with it and reapply for next year.
    Soon as my LEA get back to me to confirm that I've left my studies, that's exactly what I intend to do.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Soon as my LEA get back to me to confirm that I've left my studies, that's exactly what I intend to do.
    Why do you need to wait until then?:confused:
  • Options
  • Options
    I believe it's because you can only be at one institution at a time.

But wasn't he gonna get a job this year?:confused:
  • Options
    How can you give up on uni when you haven't even started? That puzzles me.

It seems like a rather hasty decision, and in my opinion, to be honest, it never seemed like you'd stick at it anyway, and i doubt you'll stay in 2007 either if your that quick to leave now.

Anyway good luck with what you do.
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    It seems like a rather hasty decision, and in my opinion, to be honest, it never seemed like you'd stick at it anyway, and i doubt you'll stay in 2007 either if your that quick to leave now.
    Looking forward to proving you wrong there.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Looking forward to proving you wrong there.

Well i hope for your sake you do. But whats to stop you doing same next year? If your getting all worked up about something so minor, then your heart obviously wasn't in it from the start. The money etc is an excuse.
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    But whats to stop you doing same next year? If your getting all worked up about something so minor, then your heart obviously wasn't in it from the start. The money etc is an excuse.
    I'll tell you what's to stop me from repeating this. Experiences from this year, that's what. By September 2007, I will have thousands of pounds being me, I will be stronger than I am now, and I will be proving cynics like you wrong. I've done it before, and I'll do it again.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I'll tell you what's to stop me from repeating this. Experiences from this year, that's what. By September 2007, I will have thousands of pounds being me, I will be stronger than I am now, and I will be proving cynics like you wrong. I've done it before, and I'll do it again.

Didn't you say this before you went this year?! :chin:
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    Didn't you say this before you went this year?! :chin:
    I may well have done. But I've told you why I will be going next year, and why that will be successful. I look forward to seeing a post from you this time next year saying "sorry for doubting you Stargalaxy, you were right all along".
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I may well have done. But I've told you why I will be going next year, and why that will be successful. I look forward to seeing a post from you this time next year saying "sorry for doubting you Stargalaxy, you were right all along".

Mate, whether you go or not, it's hardly likely i'll be posting crap like that is it.

To be honest sounds like a bunch of vague excuses, but good luck to you. Maybe one day you'll actually do it.
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    To be honest sounds like a bunch of vague excuses, but good luck to you. Maybe one day you'll actually do it.
    You mark my words, LacyMay. I've never been more determined.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    You mark my words, LacyMay. I've never been more determined.

What the fuck? Are you for real? Noone actually says "mark my words".

Will you go back next year? Who knows. Was it a mistake to drop out this year? Probably, but quite a lot of people do, really.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    What the fuck? Are you for real? Noone actually says "mark my words".
    :lol: "mark my words Lacymay" - thought it sounded like something out of an old western!