Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Thank you, TheSite.org

This is a deeply personal thread for me. It won’t be relevant to some of you. However, I’ve got a lot to say to TheSite.org’s members. Since there are so many of you, I’ve decided to write it up publicly for all to see. I’ll try to keep this brief.

As most of you know, ever since I said I wanted to go to university, I’ve been worried sick about it. Whether it be threads about me not knowing how to cook, (which nicebutdim23 very kindly responded to by starting a cookery thread) or me fighting with 1983 and countless others over my university worries, it’s been an utterly mad rollercoaster. At times, I’ve felt that it’s all getting on top of me and that it isn’t worth the hassle. Indeed, last Friday, when I tearfully said goodbye to my work colleagues on my last day at Haven, I wondered whether this step into the unknown was really the right way forward. I’m not especially likely to be online tomorrow, so I’ve decided to post this now.

To those of you who have posted advice to me on the boards about university in countless threads dedicated to the subject – thank you. It may not seem like it at the time, but your advice is hugely appreciated. I’m well aware I’ve upset some people by throwing their advice back in their faces, but often they’re words that I need to hear. In some senses, I’ve lived an incredibly sheltered life, so such words are sometimes interpreted as harsh and reacted to in a hostile way. I do understand you’re saying it for my good, though – that’s one thing I’ve learnt about TheSite.org boards in the near two years that I have now been a member. When I first started here, I didn’t know how long I’d last. Much to my surprise, and probably to everyone else’s, I’m still here two years later. Thanks also to the moderators. I’ve had more than my fair share of criticisms for you in the past, but I understand you’re here to help us.

Right, down to business. I’m off on Friday morning. It’s a trek of over 200 miles or so, which will take several hours. Whilst packing, I get the feeling I’m taking half my life with me at the same time! I’m nervous about meeting my new flatmates in BS1, about working out my way round a new city, and about working out my way round campuses and to lectures. Above all, I’m concerned about how quickly I’ll learn to cook and look after myself. There are some who’ve supported me the whole way, and doubtless will continue to – you know who you are!

There’s countless numbers to thank. However, special mentions go to Kermit for being surprisingly patient with me on some threads, despite my often less-than-appreciative tone, Littlemissy who helped me out a great deal a few months ago, and to Icey, whose words last week in a PM to me were very thought-provoking. However, the biggest thanks are reserved for two young women. They’ve been there for me every step of the way, their support is unflinching. Malteser Monkay and Nicebutdim23, this is for you. You’re truly the best mates I've ever had. Thank you.

EDIT: Nearly forgot to mention one other girl who helped out a lot, mainly because she'll be at UWE too, albeit on a postgraduate course - Bunny_0_. Thanks, babe.

Love you all. xxx
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Good luck and have fun and most of all, just be youself.
  • Options
    Aw shucks :blush: You'll be fine, I see good things for you Danny! I remember our friendship started when I pm'd you when you were getting a hard time during a thread. Probably warranted at the time, probably one of your wee scampish moments but you've come so far and I'm glad to be able to call you a firm friend. Your support is priceless as are you, love you xx

And good luck untill the nets up and running, text me if you need x
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    :yuck:

Only joking. ;) Have a good'un at uni. Get laid and get wasted - I hear that's what it's all about.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    :yuck:
    Only joking. ;) Have a good'un at uni. Get laid and get wasted - I hear that's what it's all about.
    Cheers. With some luck, both will happen soon enough.
  • Options
    Have fun, mate :)
  • Options
    Good luck SG. Hope it all's goes great for you. Good to chat tonight :)
  • Options
    university is a great experience and although it can be tough in the 1st year just try to have fun and remember that everyone is in the same boat.

btw.. i thought you was going to manchester?
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    We've rarely seen eye to eye but I'm glad your going ahead with it. Just remember, take a chill pill and a beer and let the good times roll :D
  • Options
    You'll be fine mate :) If all else fails you still have us :p
  • Options
    Good luck matey. Have fun and make the most of the first month to get to know people
  • Options
    Have fun in Bristol bro!!
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Have fun mate! ou should enjo it - get ot know folk, have a laugh, have a J with some lads, and most of all - take it easy! (Except for the work, try your hardest!).

Good luck with it and all. Im sure it'll go faster and easier thank you think!
  • Options
    Have fun! :)
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    :thumb:

Have a great time. Try not to worry as much and just enjoy yourself.

And remember to study ;)
  • Options
    Work hard, play hard mate. Try and override your instincts from time to time; let loose and have a bit of fun with all the interesting people you're going to meet. I'm sure you're going to love it if you give it your best shot, honestly!

Best of luck :thumb:
  • Options
    remember to roll with it hun, sometimes just going with the flow is the best option - DON'T overthink things too much like you have a tendency to do, relax and just go with it xx
  • Options
    cheese.jpg

;) good luck!
  • Options
    Good luck, i will be hiding :p
  • Options
    Good luck, SG. It's been a difficult few months, but the end is in sight! :D
  • Options
    good luck. :thumb:
  • Options
    Good luck man, hope you have a great time :)
  • Options
    good luck. im sure youll be fine :)
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    btw.. i thought you was going to manchester?
    No. MMU was my second choice, which I declined. I'll be going to Bristol. Well, I say I will be going, of course. But not yet.

Today, I visited the bank to check on a couple of things, and there are some very serious problems. As a result, Unite haven't received my accommodation payment. The account I'm using as a student account was dormant for a long time, so the bank made the decision to close it - right after I'd put a significant amount of money in it to pay for my accommodation. My money is now stuck in a central bank and won't be released until an auditor approves, hopefully tomorrow. I won't go into any more details right now. Sufficient to say, however, that, until this matter is sorted out (which I'll be doing tomorrow morning) I won't be leaving tomorrow. I'll probably be here now until next week. Knowing that I'm going to miss part of Freshers week is a disappointing setback, but I suppose it may not be as bad as it seems.

Meantime, cheers for the messages of support, some of them are from particularly unexpected places, but welcome all the same.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    No. MMU was my second choice, which I declined. I'll be going to Bristol. Well, I say I will be going, of course. But not yet.

Today, I visited the bank to check on a couple of things, and there are some very serious problems. As a result, Unite haven't received my accommodation payment. The account I'm using as a student account was dormant for a long time, so the bank made the decision to close it - right after I'd put a significant amount of money in it to pay for my accommodation. My money is now stuck in a central bank and won't be released until an auditor approves, hopefully tomorrow. I won't go into any more details right now. Sufficient to say, however, that, until this matter is sorted out (which I'll be doing tomorrow morning) I won't be leaving tomorrow. I'll probably be here now until next week. Knowing that I'm going to miss part of Freshers week is a disappointing setback, but I suppose it may not be as bad as it seems.

Meantime, cheers for the messages of support, some of them are from particularly unexpected places, but welcome all the same.

Thats a bit shit innit.

Anyway you'll enjoy Bristol. It's fun. Do you know whereabouts your accomodation is?
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    Anyway you'll enjoy Bristol. It's fun. Do you know whereabouts your accomodation is?
    Don't want to get too specific publicly, but it's in the city centre.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Don't want to get too specific publicly, but it's in the city centre.

Well i wasn't asking for a full postal address. I just meant the area.
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    Well i wasn't asking for a full postal address. I just meant the area.
    It's not far from Brandon Hill and in BS1, if that means anything.
  • Options
    Near park street then
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    Near park street then
    Even closer to where I'll soon be living!
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    It's not far from Brandon Hill and in BS1, if that means anything.

Ah. So it's near the red light area :p