Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Longest week of my life.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I went for a job interview in West Sussex last week. The job would be perfect, I have really really set my heart on getting this. However its now been a week and I havent heard anything. The interview was good, but there were some hard questions!:shocking:

Im going out my head expecting a rejection letter to come thru the post any day.

Has anyone else had to wait so long to hear back from a job ?? How do you stop yourself getting totally absorbed into your perfect job, incase that rejection letter comes thru the post soon :chin:

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    depends on the job i suppose, but i would have thought you'd have heard back by now.......do people even get rejection letters anymore? never had one personally, lucky if i even get a call from the agent with the bad news these days.....i never get my hopes up too much as i've had a lot of interviews that didn't go anywhere so i see it as a numbers game, if i didn't get it then it wasn't the right job, i'll learn from the experience and move on to the next one.......good luck tho.
  • Options
    I waited three weeks to hear the results of the interview for the job I've got now. I also saw the lady who interviewed me twice in those three weeks as she was my college tutor, but she couldn't tell me anything.

In the end, she called on a Sunday afternoon! She told me they "wanted to progress my application further" and so I went for a medical on the Tuesday and had the offer by Friday.

I really really wanted the job as well as being desperate to leave the one I was in so that didn't help much!

Hope you hear something soon!
  • Options
    do people even get rejection letters anymore?

We always send out "thanks but no thanks" letters to unsuccessful applicants if they've applied for a specific job (not just speculatively) and "unsuccessful on this occasion" letters to applicants that made it as far as interview.
  • Options
    I had an interview for a certain mobile provider, really was so desperate to get out of the job I was in.

Gutted when I got the letter through knocking me back, kept looking though and got a job with a different mobile provider with a better location and more money.

All is not lost if the worst comes to the worst :yes:
  • Options
    Yeah, I finally heard today, and i didnt get the job!:banghead:

Im so pissed off, even more so they dont give feedback!

What was that saying...... every cloud.... :) only joking. Something positive has got to happen soon.

Thanks to everyone who wished my luck

Cheers

:thumb:
  • Options
    Lost Soul wrote:
    they dont give feedback!

Does the letter actually say that they don't give feedback, or does it just not give any in the letter?

If it was a big company, call the reception and ask the receptionist for the interviewer's email address. Drop them a quick email, asking for feedback - say that you don't want to take up too much of their time but you would appreciate some feedback on the interview in order to build on the experience for the next one you have. I did this for a couple of jobs I got rejected from and always got a response.

Emails are usually better than phone calls as you don't want to put them on the spot and for them to have trouble remembering you and then fobbing you off with something generic. Emails give them chance to dig the notes out and consider their reply before answering. Hence why it's easier to call the receptionist who won't know who you are and always gives out email addresses willy-nilly! (I was one!).
  • Options
    It does say in the letter that they dont provide feedback. However i really want to work for this company so I want to re-apply, but I just want them to say if re-applying would be like pis*in! into the wind. As i dont want to waste my time.

Yeah its a big airlines, so they say with all the applications they can not give feedback.

Im just thinking maybe I should still send an email, I havent really got anything to loose (well apart from my reputation :) )
  • Options
    Like you say, nothing to loose. I'd still say contact them - a letter might be better if you're expressing a desire to work for them. It's easier for them to keep on file.

Just state that despite you not getting further than the interview stage this time, you are still very interested in working for the company because <reason why that particular company and what you feel you could offer> (bit of honest flattery probably wouldn't go a miss!) and that you would very much appreciate being contacted when they are next recruiting if they are interested in meeting with you again.
  • Options
    Yeah I just feel the least they could have done was offer me some feedback.

I did spend 9 1/2 hours traveling to and from the interview and over £200 in costs to get there, and few words of advice from the wouldnt kill them.

Cheers