Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Whats the best way forward?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Im stuck. I currently am at college doing A-Levels, but because of a few problems I'm not able to carry on. Just due to some bad things. Carrying on at college is really out of the question, and I can't see it happening.

I'm 17, and I really need to move out also, I can't manage all the harshness at the moment and it's not helping anything. My question is really is it possible / wise to go into a full time job now? I have 3 AS Levels, Psychology, Music Tech and Computing. Do employers value AS Levels? or will I be seen as a quitter? I really want to go into the sound engineering business, and I have a fair amount of experience in this area for my age. Should I aim to get a job doing engineering or should I go for somewhere worse, but easier to get a job like McDonalds? It's really confusing because I can't talk to my parents about it because they will not let me leave college and I can't explain how I am feeling to them. A brief overview of the main problem to set the background is basically my mum has terminal cancer and the time has come if you know what I mean.

Any advice / experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Lawton.

Comments

• Options
    In my experience, qualifications do not have as big an impact on job interviews as you'd think, obviously depending on what role you're going for.

If you show employers that you're enthusiastic, willing to learn, hard working and have initiative etc, then that good impression will go far.
    Don't settle for something you know you won't enjoy or be worthwhile at this point in your life though, you'll regret it forever and a day.
  • Options
    Is it not possible to get a job (for exmaple in Child Care) without the qualification and do the qualification whilst on the job?
  • Options
    You could quit college, do some monkey work for a while, then go back at a later date?

Quite common when people are going through a bad time.
  • Options
    I'm thinking I could carry on in a few years when stuff has moved on, but I would have to pay. But I could save with the money I make in the meantime.

I think thats the way forward.

Thanks for all the help so far also, means alot :)

Lawton.
  • Options
    Do you have any career adviser people at school you can talk to about this?
  • Options
    Most probably. I think I'll talk to them.

I decided to talk to my parents about it, and the end result is I've been kicked out. The next few days will be odd.

Cheers,

Lawton.
  • Options
    +Kirsten++Kirsten+ Deactivated Posts: 49 Boards Initiate
    Hi Lawton

Sorry to hear your situation. Hope communication with your parents gets easier when some time has passed. TheSite has some guidance around leaving home as well as a bunch of articles on finding work.

According to the Learn Direct website no specific qualifications are required to find work in the sound engineering industry, though it's recommended you get technical experience through a higher education course. A-levels are usually needed for such degrees, but you can always take a break from your education. (And, as you've some experience your previous employers/clients might be able to point you in the right direction.)

In the meantime, your career advisor at school might be able to help you sort out options for a new job and new home.

All the best.
  • Options
    you want to go for engineering so go for something similar and may be work towards an nvq or similar whilst in the workplace. experience counts for a lot with employers generally. :yes: