Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

why is it so impossible to get a reasonable part time job?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i just quit my job, because they didn't pay me for a very long time, they treated my unfairly, and i really hated the work. now i'm trying to get another part time job...and i've given out loads of CVs and not really had much come back...

i can't even find anywhere that really advertises part time jobs. lakeside is the only place i have found where some people are willing to take part timers on, but so far i haven't had much luck....

anyone got any ideas what i'm doing wrong or where i should be looking?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It can be a really annoying process looking for part-time work - so I do feel your pain! Why not have a read of this article for some pointers.

Another thing I would say, is keep track of when and where you are handing in your CV's. Then make a follow-up call a few days later and check that the manager has recieved your CV, and find out if there is any chance of an interview.

When I was doing part-time work, I got most of my jobs through friends - so chat to any of your mates who have that kind of job and ask them to see if there are any more roles going where they work.

Good luck!
    I would imagine that most shops will begin recruiting for Christmas temps within the next month or so, if not sooner (John Lewis in our area has been recruiting since July I think). Try any bigger department stores or supermarkets as those will be the places most in need, and you are also likely to be in with a chance of keeping the part-time job after your temporary Christmas contract is up. Good luck :thumb:
    cos im not english
    Job Centre, Local Paper...?
    I'm in the same situation. Have tried the Job Centre website, but it's being odd and showing up jobs for Nottingham :rolleyes: and I can't find anything suitable. As for the local paper, can't find anything suitable, either.

If you're interested in working for a certain company (ie, HMV) have a look on their website.
  • smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    I left a job (FT) in February this year because of certain disputes i had with a training provider. I left thinking right it should only take me a good month and i will be back on my feet again. 5 months later still on JSA with no success, yes fair enough i have been picky but i just wanted something that could have good potential for the future.

Getting a job these days is not easy even if you do have it all on paper. Too many people apply for the same thing and because of the amount of CV's being sent in, alot of employers chuck half in the bin, or bin the A4 sized envelopes etc...... Not good for people who have just left education and want to persue a career.

As for PT work in a shop or what ever your best bet is to chase the employer up and show them that you are keen to work.

Lifes a bitch ! but we all get there in the end.

Edit: Im not sure but i think the job points inside the job centre have a wider range of job compared to their internet site.
    anyone got any ideas where i should be looking?

Everywhere! If you're still based in London try the Metro or Evening Standard, plus neighbouring local rags (different editions may contain different ads).

There are billions of job websites on the web. As well as the bogstandard general ones (fish4jobs etc. etc.) www.jobsgopublic.com is worth a peek for public sector jobs and you can search by part time.

As has been said, keep an eye out for Xmas retail temp jobs too.

Finally, getting a decent p/t job is possible - last November I landed a 7 hour a week admin job at a secondary school paying £286 per month :D
    i just quit my job, because they didn't pay me for a very long time, they treated my unfairly, and i really hated the work. now i'm trying to get another part time job...and i've given out loads of CVs and not really had much come back...

i can't even find anywhere that really advertises part time jobs. lakeside is the only place i have found where some people are willing to take part timers on, but so far i haven't had much luck....

anyone got any ideas what i'm doing wrong or where i should be looking?
    If your under the age of 19, then connexions can help you out. Also the job centre. TBH it is very hard finding part time work around the S.E, especially if your looking for retail. Another disadvantage I have personally seen is that students tend to get more of the jobs than others.

Whoever said John Lewis, take there advice. IMO in all the company's I have seen, they are always looking for vacancies. They pay good money, & there discount is even better. Also M&S is another good company.
    HIT wrote:
    Also M&S is another good company.

Plus you might get to do a sexy voice over to advertise a cheese and bacon quiche :D
  • smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    HIT wrote:
    then connexions can help you out

I thought connexions only do apprenticeships?
    so i can let other people know this for their future use:

the computers in the job centre don't work for part time work. they can't or won't help you if you want anything less than 16 hours.
    connextions rarely advertise part time jobs, thay can help you with full time jobs and getting training though.
    i also believe that many companies operate an unequal oppertunies policy when it comes to employing people under 18.
    i also believe that many companies operate an unequal oppertunies policy when it comes to employing people under 18.

As in they want to pay the lowest minimum wage? I've suspected that as well, although I could just have been paranoid! But when I was jobseeking and applied for a fair few retail jobs at Christmas time and other times, out of at least half a dozen or more I only got 2 interviews...and that was despite having had worked for Boots for nearly 2 years in the past (the branches of Boots I applied at this time round didn't even reply). Of the interviews I got one was a complete waste of time, as they ignored the bit I'd written in BIG FAT CAPITALS on the front of my CV or the application form stating the number of hours I was able to work, and the other company (MVC) couldn't even be arsed to phone me to tell me that I hadn't got the job.

I wouldn't mind, but these were all jobs I could have done standing on my head blind-folded! But at 22 I was obviously considered beyond the pail and far too expensive.

In the end though I got the last laugh, as my current job is 100 times better than retail, pays better and with my new line manager my role is going to have a lot more responsibility for coming up with new ideas and implementing the Extended Schools stuff at the school than the p[aper-chase it was before :cool:
    so i can let other people know this for their future use:

the computers in the job centre don't work for part time work. they can't or won't help you if you want anything less than 16 hours.
    connextions rarely advertise part time jobs, thay can help you with full time jobs and getting training though.
    Connexions do advertise part time work. They have adverts in every category of work. Alot of companies now have been doing the 18+, but there are plenty of companies that dont as well.

Smitherz, they do deal alot with apprentices, & also career advisers are on hand to help out.

In all the part time jobs I worked in, Argos had to have been the worst. When I was 16, they paid me £3 p/h.