Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Feminist mouths off Steve Irwin.

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    Kermit wrote:
    Spliffie's argument is basically that Greer is a big nasty man-hating bigot, and anyone who doesn't immediately call for something nasty to happen to her because of three deliberately controversial words taken out of context from a newspaper opinion piece is a big nasty man-hating bigot who should have something nasty happen to them.

There you go telling other people what they think AGAIN. It's a speciality of yours.
    Kermit wrote:
    It isn't me who started foaming at the mouth about Greer and then started comparing any man who calls himself a feminist to the KKK.

You've taken that out of context yourself mate. Spliffie did not liken feminists to the KKK and you know it.
    Kermit wrote:
    He also argues that HIT couldn't possibly have anything against the "cult" of feminism, and all the "bitches" that follow it, because feminism is just a word

Adnyou fail to recognise that HIT may not have used the word feminist as insult, becasue your too busy looking for an argument.

Kermit wrote:
    A word that he too thinks means "big nasty man-hating bigot", of course.

Again I don't think anybody has said. Speaking for other people again?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote:
    There you go telling other people what they think AGAIN. It's a speciality of yours.

WTF?

That was his argument.
    You've taken that out of context yourself mate. Spliffie did not liken feminists to the KKK and you know it.

No, its not out of context.

He likened men fighting for female equality to black people fighting for a white supremacist organisation.

If he wasn't trying to argue that feminists are as bad as the KKK why on earth would he choose that particular similie?

If he wasn't trying to argue that female equality is as bad for men as white supremacism is for blacks then why on earth would he choose that particular similie?
    Adnyou fail to recognise that HIT may not have used the word feminist as insult, becasue your too busy looking for an argument.

Give me an example of when "cult" is used in any other context other than derogatory.

And why on earth would he attack all feminists because of the ramblings aof a few extremists and attention-seekers if he wasn't trying to imply that all feminists are extremists and attention-seekers.

As I say, if I've misrepresented him I'm sure he'll be along to tell us what he really thinks.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    WTF?

That was his argument.

Can you point out where he said that anybody who fails to criticize Greer is a man hating bigot who deserves somehting nasty to happen to them?
    Kermit wrote:

He likened men fighting for female equality to black people fighting for a white supremacist organisation.

If he wasn't trying to argue that feminists are as bad as the KKK why on earth would he choose that particular similie?

If he wasn't trying to argue that female equality is as bad for men as white supremacism is for blacks then why on earth would he choose that particular similie?

This is what he said...

I'm not saying all people who define themselves as feminists believe such bigotry, much in the same way not all BNP supporters are hysterical white supremacists

Kermit wrote:
    Give me an example of when "cult" is used in any other context other than derogatory.

And why on earth would he attack all feminists because of the ramblings aof a few extremists and attention-seekers if he wasn't trying to imply that all feminists are extremists and attention-seekers.

As I say, if I've misrepresented him I'm sure he'll be along to tell us what he really thinks.

Yes, with 'cult' his choice of words may have been poor, but he has repeatedly stated that's he quite ignorant, as I am, of feminism and what it means to be a femininst. Instead of atticking him for using a word inncoently, why not try and explain why it might not have been appropriate.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

No he said men fighting for feminism when people like greer and others say misandrist things is like a black man supporting the kkk.
    Kermit wrote:

No he didn't argue that feminists are as bad as the kkk, that's you taking it out of context.
    Kermit wrote:

In movie criticism, "Donnie Darko the cult movie has been widely acclaimed by critics and audiences alike" :)
  • Options
    Somebody who admits to not knowing much about feminism gets jumped for the missuse of the word cult, but Greer is defended for calling men freaks????
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I'm quite tempted to take the whole animal thing further actually but I suspect it's probably a bad idea. It doesn't really matter anyway - it wasn't my argument, I was just trying to explore it. Whether Greer was right or wrong about the facts, if she was implying men were freaks for the reasons I mentioned then she was not spewing random vitriolic bile against blokes as Spliffie suggests. Although I don't actually know why I'm bothering to disprove that either - I don't like Greer, or really care what Spliffie thinks.

She didn't imply anything - she stated it exactly as i quoted it. If you don't like the woman and don't give a fuck why not just condemn her comments instead of continuing to provide excuses and distorting the facts?

You haven't provided any reasons either which haven't been shot down without response.

The context makes no difference as anyone can readily observe -
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/gender/story/0,11812,839992,00.html?=rss
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Spliffie's argument is basically that Greer is a big nasty man-hating bigot, and anyone who doesn't immediately call for something nasty to happen to her because of three deliberately controversial words taken out of context from a newspaper opinion piece is a big nasty man-hating bigot who should have something nasty happen to them.

He also argues that HIT couldn't possibly have anything against the "cult" of feminism, and all the "bitches" that follow it, because feminism is just a word. A word that he too thinks means "big nasty man-hating bigot", of course.

But that's OK because some of his best friends are women :lol:

Where did I say any of this Kermit? Care to provide some quotes? Oh wait, let me guess, you can't be bothered. :lol:

What a crackpot.
  • Options
    haha :D
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Interesting. Using her biological argument, women who are past their child-bearing age are also not required and in need of discarding. Hmm, now which one should we discard first?
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    She comes across as a vicious, nasty piece of shit it must be said.
  • Options
    Interesting. Using her biological argument, women who are past their child-bearing age are also not required and in need of discarding. Hmm, now which one should we discard first?

I understand YOUR logic, but is she PRESCRIBING that course of action in that article ? I may have missed it. I perceived the article to be more of a descriptive one. :chin:
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    She comes across as a vicious, nasty piece of shit it must be said.

How did you come to that conclusion ?
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    How did you come to that conclusion ?

Did you read the "article"? She talks about the genocide of the male gender. It doesn't matter if it's hypothetical, if you had a BNP member talking about the hpyothetical extermination of ethnic minorities you'd get everyone up in arms attacking them.

I find it kind of scary that people are so eager to defend her attitude! Personally, I think she should stick to womens issues rather than making grand generalisations about men.
  • Options
    Phew! I’ve just finished reading all fifteen pages off this thread and it seems a long while back since it had anything to do with Steve Irwin. :D

As for Germaine Greer, one read of the article Spliffie linked to shows she holds some pretty odd views, regardless of what she may or may not have done to further the feminist cause.

With regards to the use of “feminist” in the thread title, I think that hairs are being split. I’m guessing that a number of posters are used to adopting defensive stance as soon as the word “feminist” is mentioned and have done so again in this topic. Still, I agree with a lot of what GWST says about the fact that all men should be feminist as far as believing that women should be treated equally in all aspects of life. I can, however, understand why this riled a few posters as respecting women as equals is a given for most people, and not something that active feminists can claim exclusive rights to.

Either way, it’s been an informative read, if not somewhat off-topic!
  • Options
    Phew! I’ve just finished reading all fifteen pages off this thread and it seems a long while back since it had anything to do with Steve Irwin. :D

As for Germaine Greer, one read of the article Spliffie linked to shows she holds some pretty odd views, regardless of what she may or may not have done to further the feminist cause.

With regards to the use of “feminist” in the thread title, I think that hairs are being split. I’m guessing that a number of posters are used to adopting defensive stance as soon as the word “feminist” is mentioned and have done so again in this topic. Still, I agree with a lot of what GWST says about the fact that all men should be feminist as far as believing that women should be treated equally in all aspects of life. I can, however, understand why this riled a few posters as respecting women as equals is a given for most people, and not something that active feminists can claim exclusive rights to.

Either way, it’s been an informative read, if not somewhat off-topic!

Good post.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    I perceived the article to be more of a descriptive one. :chin:
    Desciptive of her own opinion perhaps, not of the world as I know it.
  • Options
    Lifeless wrote:
    Did you read the "article"?

I have just read it for the third time today.This time even slower !
    Lifeless wrote:
    She talks about the genocide of the male gender.

Does she ? :chin: :chin:

I guess,as always,it depends on your definition of genocide. I find a consensus among definitions that "planning"/"intent" is needed to qualify as genocide.I can`t find that anywhere in the article that I read .
    Lifeless wrote:
    I find it kind of scary that people are so eager to defend her attitude! Personally, I think she should stick to womens issues rather than making grand generalisations about men.

I wouldn`t say I was eager to defend "her attitude",whatever that is. I read an article that someone posted a link to, and I`m puzzled why some are getting their knickers/boxers in a twist.

Are you judging her on some past performance ?
  • Options
    Desciptive of her own opinion perhaps, not of the world as I know it.

Can you give me some examples from the article in question ? I`m (genuinely) puzzled as to what I`m missing in that article.
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    Can you give me some examples from the article in question ? I`m (genuinely) puzzled as to what I`m missing in that article.
    Hmm, the last paragraph is entirely opinions and presumptions based on observations that she has made throughout the article. But maybe this would be easier if you were to point out how this article is an entirely factual account of reality though.
  • Options
    Hmm, the last paragraph is entirely opinions and presumptions based on observations that she has made throughout the article. But maybe this would be easier if you were to point out how this article is an entirely factual account of reality though.

Well I don`t think it is a "factual account of reality". (Is there such a thing ? ;) ).

What I`m failing to see is the cause of the antagonism. No-one seems willing ( or able ?) to point it out.

I read the last paragraph to which you refer (AGAIN) and I see parts of it as a kind of celebration of men,in general, from the female perspective.
    None of the spectacular male craziness we see around us every day is necessary and some of it is lethal, but much of it is wonderful, compelling, awesome.
    Women would find a world without men flat and savourless

So what am I missing ?
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    So what am I missing ?
    Oh right, I don't know. I'm not really that arsed about it really.
  • Options
    Greer wrote:
    and you can see that the human race could continue on earth if 99.9% of human males were wiped out by some sex-linked disorder.

Wiping out males. :chin:
    Greer wrote:
    The truth is out. Men are much more trouble than they're worth. Sisters are doing it for themselves. Discarded males of all ages loiter in the streets, looking for trouble to get into and finding no lack of it. Male security guards shoot male football fans in Bratislava, male fans howl racist abuse and hurl chairs at each other, males train as suicide bombers, male heads of state stroll about discussing whether they could get away with another shooting war on the women and children of Iraq, and their male flunkies zoom around the world trying to talk other males into joining in. The Beltway Sniper turned out to be a man. And those "children" ejected from school for threatening to kill their teachers are actually boys. It doesn't do to say so. A kind of mad squeamishness prevents us from quantifying the nuisance value of maleness, possibly because if you actually tell men that they are damned nuisances, they are likely to behave even worse.

Generalisation much? And that's her first paragraph which according to her...
    Greer wrote:
    Whereas the facts adduced in my first paragraph are clearly true.

What is clearly true is she knows nothing about the real world.
    seeker wrote:
    Are you judging her on some past performance ?

I don't even know who she is.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    You're back? :D
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    Apparently so! Have you missed me? :hyper:
    Of course.
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    I bet lots of people in this thread have missed me terribly...especially those who think I'm a member of some nasty evil cult that wishes to eradicate the entire male sex :razz:

But nobody said that.

I just found it funny that hairs were split over HIT's choice of words even after he admitted he knew little about feminism, yet Greer was defended for calling men 'freaks of nature'.

Nobody here said equality for men and women was a bad thing.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    :yes: You're right, no one has said that. I don't think anyone thinks it, at least I hope not.

But there does seem to be an undercurrent of feeling that feminists have got their way and now that there is this perceived all-round equality they should be happy to stfu. There definitely was the suggestion that feminists should now be content to rest on their laurels, as obviously all the work is done and the job's a good'un. So inaccurate it hurts.

I - for one - continue to think there were implications behind his use of "feminist" in the title, whether he'll admit to that or not [and it seems to be "not"]. He should've said academic... or used her name. But in the grand scheme of things, who cares? This debate on here is a bit like a dog chasing its own tail.
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    If people are really so lacking in intelligence and comprehension that they interpret the statement that "the human race could continue if 99.9% of males were wiped out" as somehow advocating the eradication of all males as a desirable move, then to continue to debate is pointless.

For FUCK sake! My point is that if she replaced males with muslims or jews or even women she would be labelled a racist and a nazi and she would be widely discredited! The fact that she's defended makes it clear that men are fair game for this kind of abuse.
  • Options
    I feel as a white, middle-class male I generally have it pretty good, and to be honest people (OK women) saying nasty things about men is like water of a ducks back to me. If I was a Sikh who been a target of racist abuse or a Jew who'd had a swastika daubed on my door I'd probably have less reason to feel so sanguine.

There may be a problem with men being disempowered, but that's got sod all to do with feminism and more to do with a lack of backbone and that some men want to join a culture of victimhood.