Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Feminist mouths off Steve Irwin.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've read the thread from the beginning and not commented for the same reason as Senor Miguel. I'm afraid there's a slight difference between implying someone is not telling the truth and telling someone to throw themselves under a train.

My own personal thoughts on the thread so far - I'm unsure as to why you don't like feminists. Could you explain that further?

Regarding Steve Irwin, I don't have any particular feelings either way. I never saw any of his programmes and I don't really care what anyone else thinks about him. I don't think he'll be held up as some kind of martyred icon for future posterity, purely because no one will remember him in 10 years. That's just life.
    As I repeatedly told other members which they still carried it on. I never heard of this Greer women, nor was I at all familiar with feminists. I used feminist as a title because the link I posted said she is best known for her feminist book. As I also told them, there's a million titles you can use like "top mp" etc. (even mok has choose to use one) because its what they are known for. If the link I posted said she was best known as a comedian, I would have wrote that. Now after days of explaining to them, & other members also have explained, he has moved on to calling me a liar.

I said I dont like feminists now because if this thread is this thread is anything to go by. Last week I never really acknowledged them.

In Australia & those that are familiar with him around the world, Steve will always be remembered, they even want to hold a state funeral for him. He ain't no one that will be forgotten in time, he done alot to raise awareness on the environment & helped animals.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Kermit wrote:
    Why mention the word feminism then?

You have to consider that the word was intended as HIT has claimed all along, in a purely descriptive manner. As with HIT I wasn't particularly familliar with the name Greer, or with any Feminists/Feminism come to that, and with that view the title makes perfect sense.
    Kermit wrote:
    HIT doesn't like feminists and is trying to use this as a rather pathetic cheap shot.

This is what I don't understand, your inablilty to stop telling others what they're thinking and what their opinions are, putting words into others mouths, you've done it to me before and it's fucking annoying. It's not good.
    Weekender Offender 
    Regarding Steve Irwin, I don't have any particular feelings either way. I never saw any of his programmes and I don't really care what anyone else thinks about him. I don't think he'll be held up as some kind of martyred icon for future posterity, purely because no one will remember him in 10 years. That's just life.
    I reckon he will be remembered to be honest. In purely televisual terms, he revolutionised wildlife documentaries, before you take into account his conservation work. And because he is a worldwide star as well, I would imagine he'll be more remembered in 20 years time than any other documentary maker (with the exception maybe of Michael Moore).

Oh and everyone else. Unless you're discussing Germaine Greer or Steve Irwin, shut the fuck up.
    I just cant understand how people think I had it in for feminist(s) from the start. Why would I have it in for them even after reading that article? One women who happened to be a feminist (not feminist(s)) wrote that. Unless now she speaks on behalf of all feminist(s)?

I'm sure someone Kermit will give a statement on my behalf. :rolleyes:
    you guys are getting all riled up over nothing....

Yes, she she was speaking ill of the dead but to be fair you do get people like that but you should just let it lie.

Steve Irwin: yes, good entertainer, raised animal awareness ,ran a zoo, saved some animals. that was it. he didn't do much else but then he won't be forgotten either. His death was real sad but we all knew the crazy fucker was gonna get himself killed one day. as the saying goes "play with fire, your gonna get burned".

I know the OP put feminist in his title but it wasn't his intention for all this shit to happen. however I've noticed that it pissed off a few board members so if he put her name then mouths off Steve Irwin then it would have been OK. However, why all this for just a word, a name for a belief even?
    Well, why not do a bit of research into it, then make your mind up whether you agree with them or not? :) I happen to be of the opinion that everyone should be a feminist and to be honest, if they're not they have some explaining to do.

Don't be absurd.

How can you expect men to be feminists when the likes of Greer call them "freaks of nature"?

It's like asking a black man to support the KKK.
    HIT wrote:
    do you family (to be) a favour & throw yourself in front of a train.

wtf?

A little criticism and you suggest suicide. Nice step.
    YET YOU STILL CANT READ PROPERLY. POINT OUT WHERE I REFFERED TO FEMENISTS AS A CULT, BEFORE I FULLY UNDERSTOOD WHAT THEY WERE?

1. Again, shouting at me makes no difference

2. So it's only after you understood that feminism is about equality for women, that you decided it's a cult. :chin:
    This sounds far more offending than using the word feminist? So whats wrong with Scottish people?

Read the thread again (i'm assuming that you can read). You will see that I talk about Scottish MPs, not scotsmen. It's about the right of English voters to select the people who rule over English issues - it's about democracy. Not that I would expcet you to understand.
    Doesn't sound much like a man hater to me.
    C'mon, if a man had said the exact same thing above but replaced male/men with female/women you'd be up in arms, now I believe in feminism but I don't like people, feminist or otherwise calling me a freak of nature. She's a silly old hag, not a silly old feminist hag, just a silly old hag.
    I wonder when they'll be a group fighting for mens rights. :chin:
    When women get more rights and positions of power than men. Unfortunately, that probably won't be any time soon.
    They already have more rights than men in some areas. And just because men are in positions of power that doesn't mean that ordinary men have the maximum rights a person can have.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Lifeless wrote:
    They already have more rights than men in some areas.

Where?

The only area I can think of is custody of children.
    Weekender Offender 
    Actually, I just found this:

http://www.ukmm.org.uk/issues/synopsis.htm

I'm not sure if I believe all of it but a lot of it I've heard of elsewhere.
    :crying: Radio 4 doesn't have a man's hour and swimming pools have women only times.

Yeah, us men are so disadvantaged I'm going to throw myself under a racehorse in protest.
    NQA wrote:
    Yeah, us men are so disadvantaged I'm going to throw myself under a racehorse in protest.

Emilly. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :D
    Read the thread again (i'm assuming that you can read). You will see that I talk about Scottish MPs, not scotsmen. It's about the right of English voters to select the people who rule over English issues - it's about democracy. Not that I would expcet you to understand.

The irony, sheer irony.

Perhaps you should read this thread. Its just you could have used the names of Scottish mp's, but you choose not to. To me that sounds like you dont like Scottish people. Care to explain why? :yeees:
    HIT wrote:
    The irony, sheer irony.

Perhaps you should read this thread. Its just you could have used the names of Scottish mp's, but you choose not to. To me that sounds like you dont like Scottish people. Care to explain why? :yeees:

You want to talk about the other thread, then take it there.

Seconds thoughts, I wil.
    Lifeless wrote:
    I wonder when they'll be a group fighting for mens rights. :chin:

...any in particular?

Maybe the right to earn 17% more - details here
    You want to talk about the other thread, then take it there.
    This thread seemed to be off topic from the word go. I just used your post as an example. I cant use the word feminist because people think it describes them as a whole group, yet you chose Scottish, which describes a whole group of people.
    To be fair to MoK the word Scottish is in the title because its directly relevant to the thread.
    I think putting that quote into context would help a little. What Greer was actually discussing was the fact that one man can impregnate many women so statistically the human race could get by with far fewer men around. She then proceeds to discuss the fact that patriarchal societies illogically tend to rid themselves of most of their male populations, and how women cope perfectly well without them. Doesn't sound much like a man hater to me.

So what if the human race could carry on with far fewer men around? How exactly does this make men "freaks of nature" when the human species would also be able to continue with fewer females giving birth at a higher rate?

How does males being sent off to war relate to this either? The ruling elite is obviously going to use males to fight wars because males are better suited...again, how does this make us "freaks of nature"?
    Anyway, your point is completely null and void because the feminist movement is the equality movement. Unless you don't agree that women deserve equality then I'm afraid you're a feminist whether you like it or not.

Let's have a look at more of what this "equality movement" has to say.

"I feel that 'man-hating' is an honorable and viable political act" - Robin Morgan, "Ms Magazine" editor.

"To call a man an animal is to flatter him; he's a machine, a walking dildo" - Valerie Solanas, Authoress of the SCUM Manifesto

"I want to see a man beaten to a bloody pulp with a high-heel shoved in his mouth, like an apple in the mouth of a pig." -- Andrea Dworkin

"The institution of sexual intercourse is anti-feminist" - Ti-Grace Atkinson

"All sex, even consensual sex between a married couple, is an act of violence perpetrated against a woman" -- Catherine MacKinnon

"The proportion of men must be reduced to and maintained at approximately 10% of the human race" - Sally Miller Gearhart

"The simple fact is that every woman must be willing to be identified as a lesbian to be fully feminist" -National NOW Times, January, 1988

Hmmmm....
    Spliffie - do you accept that there are always extremists?
    NQA wrote:
    To be fair to MoK the word Scottish is in the title because its directly relevant to the thread.
    But its still describing a group of people. And according to him, its wrong.
    HIT wrote:
    I cant use the word feminist because people think it describes them as a whole group

No, th eobjection was because you seemed to use it as an insult.
    yet you chose Scottish, which describes a whole group of people.

Again, other thread, but to answer both Gordon Brown and John Reid (both frontrunner to replace Blair) are Scottish MPs, and therefore it is directly relevant. Even you argue that feminism isn't relevant to the title of this thread.

If my objection had been about Scotsmen then I would have been arguing that Blair shouldn't even be in post now - he is, after all, Scottish.
    Spliffie - do you accept that there are always extremists?

Some of those quotes undoubtedly come from fringe feminists, but Greer, Dworkin, Ti-Grace Atkinson and Catherine McKinnon are certainly not fringe characters.
    They aren't exactly mainstream either.

You might as well argue that Farakhan represents the enthic equality views in the US, or that Bin Laden represents view of Muslims.

Extremists get the publicity because their comments are sensational, that doesn't mean that they are even close to the majority stance. Feminism came about at a time when rights were few and far between - most feminists don't not subscribe even to the views of those you mentioned.