Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Feminist mouths off Steve Irwin.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/09/06/death.irwin.greer/index.html

It takes alot of bravery to attack a dead man. *Sarcasm*

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    HIT wrote:
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/09/06/death.irwin.greer/index.html

It takes alot of bravery to attack a dead man. *Sarcasm*
    Yeah, and i bet only the weak insult Hitler too :p
    well what more do you expect from a scraggly old feminist cunt eh!
    Doofay wrote:
    Yeah, and i bet only the weak insult Hitler too :p

Well I've always been the first to question the methods Hitler used to film his nature documentaries.

Who can possible watch Adolf Walks With the Elephants and not feel slightly uneasy?

Or the Third Reich of the Penguins?
    \
    sophia wrote:
    Damn those pesky feminists eh, when will they learn to keep their mouths shut and get back to the kitchen....

sounds about right :D
    Shes a whiney old bag anyway, I can't say I've ever been fond of her.
    Why has this been moved to the p & d?
    And my post has been deleated. She is an out of order bitch.
    I read this in the Guardian, she wasn't "mouthing [him] of" (whatever that might mean) or speaking ill of the dead; she makes very valid points, as usual.

I :heart: Germaine.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    HIT wrote:
    Why has this been moved to the p & d?

Because you are talking about a viewpoint - ultimately it's a debate about whether or not anything in the article was valid, or as you believe, it wasn't justified at all.
    **Helen** wrote:
    Because you are talking about a viewpoint - ultimately it's a debate about whether or not anything in the article was valid, or as you believe, it wasn't justified at all.
    This thread wasnt intended as a debate. It was a rant. Hence why I posted in the anything goes section.
    Its nothing to do with feminism and more to do with Germaine Greer feeling a desperate need to keep her name in the public eye at all times, plenty of men do the same.

She's a sad, desperate old hack, who may or may not have once done some good things about feminism, but now is more like a leftwing version of Richard Littlejohn
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    HIT wrote:
    This thread wasnt intended as a debate. It was a rant. Hence why I posted in the anything goes section.

But people have the right to respond as it's a discussion board, and then when they do it becomes a debate - Anyway I don't want to distract this thread anymore so feel free to submit a rant to our editorial team ;)

ETA: http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?t=105051
    Er, of course it's nothing to do with feminism, who said it was? Just because she is/was (depending on your view) a feminist voice doesn't mean she can't comment on issues that have sweet fuck all to do with issues relating to women.
    NQA wrote:
    ...who may or may not have once done some good things about feminism

Goes without saying that you haven't read The Female Eunuch. If you have, I'll eat my hat.
    \
    Just because Germaine is a feminist, what has that got to do with anything. Shes also a celebrity and pretty outspoken. Just because she said it, doesnt make it a feminist viewpoint. It makes it a Germaine Greer viewpoint.
    I :heart: Germaine, but I also :heart: steve irwin
    sophia wrote:
    However, she's as entitled to an opinion as anyone is.
    Of course she is. But as usual, as soon as someone talks about something they don't have a clue about, bullshit ensues.
    \
    That article reminds me of people who criticise our zoo for making the tigers climb huge poles to get thier food off the top, which is actually really good for them. And of course it does make a good tourist attraction, as Steve Irwin feeding a crocodile did, but the fact is that the more visitors you get, the more people you educate to your cause and the more money you make to help animals in the wild, which is what most of Steve Irwins life was about.
    i agree with you. I think Irwin was a great conservationist, but the fact is some people did find him annoying, and its got nothing to do with whetehr GG is a feminist or not.
    i agree with you. I think Irwin was a great conservationist, but the fact is some people did find him annoying, and its got nothing to do with whetehr GG is a feminist or not.
    But she is a feminist. I used that as the title. If I wrote a women etc. etc. would that mean its strictly targeting women?
    briggi wrote:
    Er, of course it's nothing to do with feminism, who said it was? Just because she is/was (depending on your view) a feminist voice doesn't mean she can't comment on issues that have sweet fuck all to do with issues relating to women.

My point was more to do with the thread title - she was actually being a rent a quote hack rather than writing as a feminist, so the title is a bit misleading.
    Goes without saying that you haven't read The Female Eunuch. If you have, I'll eat my hat

Nope I haven't. That's why I don't take a view on whether she did or didn't have some useful or interesting ideas on feminism.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    HIT wrote:
    But she is a feminist. I used that as the title. If I wrote a women etc. etc. would that mean its strictly targeting women?
    So you could write a title like "A pet shop owner speaks about his neighbour's house being broken into"?
    So you could write a title like "A pet shop owner speaks about his neighbour's house being broken into"?
    But I wrote femenist.

This isnt about the title, its about whats been said.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Renzo wrote:
    Shes a whiney old bag anyway, I can't say I've ever been fond of her.

True that.

Stupid Bitch, he hasn't been dead that long... let the fucking time pass a little.

But do we expect any more from her to be fair?
    HIT wrote:
    Shes lots of things. Why did you choose feminist?
    Why didnt you say 67 year old, or why didnt you just say Germaine Greer?
    Shes lots of things. Why did you choose feminist?
    Is that not what she's most famous for being though? Like if I was mentioning Jeremy Clarkson I might say "Loudmouth car journalist...." even though he does plenty of other things.
    Is that not what she's most famous for being though? Like if I was mentioning Jeremy Clarkson I might say "Loudmouth car journalist...." even though he does plenty of other things.

Yes, but the journalist bit does suggest that part of those other things he does might be writing in papers. It tends to go with the job description.

feminist isn't a job, but a set of political beliefs and I suspect you wouldn't say 'supporter of the death penalty' mouths off because it isn't really relevant.
    the fact is some people did find him annoying, and its got nothing to do with whether GG is a feminist or not.

Exactly.

She might talk nonsense most of the time but I think she's right here.
    NQA wrote:
    feminist isn't a job, but a set of political beliefs and I suspect you wouldn't say 'supporter of the death penalty' mouths off because it isn't really relevant.
    Well it's no different from saying "Muslim leader says....." for something that isn't a religious issue. Thier religious beliefs might not be relevant to the issue, but if that is one of the defining characteristics of their public image, then journalists will refer to them using that characteristic.