Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

need help on loosing weight badly please,

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hiya i am 17 and am overweight, i am 14 stone, i reali want to loose weight bad as i am sick of looking fat, i just cant get the motivation to stop eating junk food and fizzy juice as thats is my main problem, i have bought an excercise bike and want to stat going on it every day and loose some weight as i will never get a gf if i keep looking like this :mad: ,,, has anyone got any tips for me like something to get me motivated, any good diet pills, I also have got stretch marks on my belly and on the sides of my belly now , will they stay there for ever even if i loose weight and will the still be red and noticible,:chin: i wont be back online until 11.30 tonight , i will be looking foward to see if i can get any help on here , thanks so much..

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    hiya i am 17 and am overweight, i am 14 stone, i reali want to loose weight bad as i am sick of looking fat, i just cant get the motivation to stop eating junk food and fizzy juice as thats is my main problem, i have bought an excercise bike and want to stat going on it every day and loose some weight as i will never get a gf if i keep looking like this :mad: ,,, has anyone got any tips for me like something to get me motivated, any good diet pills, I also have got stretch marks on my belly and on the sides of my belly now , will they stay there for ever even if i loose weight and will the still be red and noticible,:chin: i wont be back online until 11.30 tonight , i will be looking foward to see if i can get any help on here , thanks so much..

well... the only person who can help you is yourself.
    no matter how much you want to loose weight, if your not willing to change your eating habits nothing will change for you and you'll stay fat for good.
    the only way to loose weight, as i'm sure you know, is to expend more energy than your are putting into your body with food and drink and exercising.
    if fizzy drinks are the problem - swap them for fizzy water/ still water. ~
    i mean a 2l bottle of coca cola or similar sugary soft drink contains about 1000 kcals! which is almost half of your energy requirements for a whole day!!
    diet pills only work with motivation. any diet only works with motivation.
    so other than telling you that, there isn't much more anyone can say. its down to you. although i can tell you from experience that taking diet pills / being sick / starving until you pass out are not sensible methods. start by not drinking any soft drinks - thats bound to do you some good! :)
    "The mind is the body's most powerful tool, where the mind goes the body will follow."

I found it hard at first, as with kicking any habbit (including junk food) you must want it bad. Only then will you lose weight. There is no pill or anything that will ever replace dedication.

My tips for dieting are to perform 20-30mins of cardio on an empty stomach before breakfast. Then later on in the day perform another 20-30mins of cadio low intensity cardio. I would also join a gym to perform weight training as this is a great way of loosing fat & speeding your metabolism up.

No weight will be lost unless your diet is in order. Drop your calories down to 2000cals a day & drink plenty of fluids.

As for supplements I would just buy a good multi vitamin & some epa fish oil.
    The theory of losing weight is simple, you need to burn more calories than you are taking in.

In order to lose weight in a safe way and keep it off, you'll need to have the motivation to keep it up. Think of the diet as a way to become more healthy, not just to lose weight.

When i decided i wanted to get healthy after living on crap at uni, i decided to completely give up all cake, crisps, fizzy drinks, alcohol, chocolate, biscuits. I lost over a stone in under 2 months without even trying to lose weight and i found that when i got out of the habit of eating sugary snacks i didnt crave them.

But alot of people find that completely giving up these types of things is a bad way to diet for them, and some people like to reward themselves with small portions of things they like, or by having one day a week where they're allowed to eat whatever they like.

What sort of diet do you have at the moment? You said you have alot of fizzy drinks and junk food, but you'll get better help here if you could post what you eat in a typical day.

As a general rule you should cut down on your junk food and fizzy drinks, eat more fresh fruit and vegetables, and get lots of exercise.

As for the stretch marks, you can get some stuff called "bio oil" which helps fade stretch marks and scars.
    another good thing to do is write down on a piece of paper each day everything you eat. then look at it and try and improve it the next day. make sure you eat breakfast - that is really important as not having it will make you want to eat on snacks later on, and it is easily the most healthy meal of all in a day if you have cereal and some milk, a piece of toast and some fruit. and eat 3 proper square meals a day.
    Porridge is a good one for breakfast as it lasts longer. energy wise.
    Exercise and cutting the crap and you WILL see the results.
    If you really do make the effort, you will notice the results on the scales within a week or so.
    You are likely to lose more the first week than any other as most of it will be water, but keep it up and you will lose fat.
    Go for the lower fat options.
    I personally have one day a week i relax a little on what i do, that way i still get a little of what i want.
    And it's true, after a while you stop craving all the junk food.
    I think 2000 cals is a good target at your current weight, as you drop it obviously the goal posts would change!

Exercise + Dont eat crap = weight loss.

I know you say you are sick of it but if you don't basically cut the crap what do you hope to gain?
    I have to say from personal experience, throw the scales away & judge yourself by the mirror.
  • smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    Yea keep it up for a good week, then you will notice you won't crave crappy foods as much and will get full quicker when eating. IMO when starting some sort of diet it is the first week that is hard, its just a matter of adjusting to it and kicking any habits :thumb:

Good luck with it and as your 17 your still young so stay positive and you will get where you wana be in no time.
    HIT wrote:
    I have to say from personal experience, throw the scales away & judge yourself by the mirror.
    See for me they help, if i haven't lost that week, it gives me the kick i need, if i have lost, it encourages me to keep it up.
    Plus it takes longer to see the results.
    There are no short cuts when it comes to weight loss. You can't buy a 'weight loss pill' and it do all the work.

You need to be determined and motivated to eat HEALTHILY every single day and complete an exercise regime to the letter - it's the only way to lose weight permanently. There's no point in cutting out the crap for 6 months while you lose weight and then eat crap again when you've got to your goal weight - it'll pile back on. It really is a permanent change in diet and lifestyle.

I've been on weightwatchers and lost over a stone. It's excellent because you can eat whatever you like, but in MODERATION, with the use of a points system and daily exercise. I'd definitely recommend having a look at weightwatchers.
    Another really important factor of weight loss is sleep! So make sure your getting plenty. :yes:
    you want to lose weight but you don't have the motivation to stop eating crap? err isn't your motivation to lose weight?
    i lost just over 2 stone last year over a period of about 4 months simply by eating sensibly and doing a little exercise every day.

i didnt go overboard on the dieting - just cut back on the bad stuff like chocolate and crisps and replaced them with a lot of fruit. then on top of that i went on a 30-60 minute walk every day when i had spare time. once you feel like you are able to, you could also try jogging for 5 minutes before walking for the next 10 or something like that.
    once i started that i found that the weight came off very easily - about 1-2lbs a week which is a healthy way to do it.
    so thats basically what i recommend you do :)

if you really feel you have to use diet pills then thats fine - although dont rely on them soley because its not good for you AND once youve got down to youre goal weight and go off the pills, its most likely that the weight will pile back on again!!
    How is that in any way inspirational?
    How is that in any way inspirational?
    Oh gee I dont know..
    To loose weight badly, you need to eat loads of fatty food and not exercise
    HIT wrote:
    Oh gee I dont know..

Well neither do I. Which is why I asked. It isn't inspirational to me in any way, shape or form.
    haha fair point!
    HIT wrote:

he wants to lose weight not look like a muscle-man.
    Well neither do I. Which is why I asked. It isn't inspirational to me in any way, shape or form.
    whats the thread got to do with you? i think for a guy thats very inspirational - to go from bordering on obese to looking so buff!
    To loose weight badly, you need to eat loads of fatty food and not exercise

Roffle!

Moving your arse (literally) is the key to weightloss. You need to be as active as you possibly can. Walk instead of taking the bus or getting a lift, go and play some sport or take a stroll instead of watching some film you've already seen that's on TV, the little things do count.

Drink lots of water, only eat when you're hungry and try and limit the amount of junk food you're exposed to. Both by seeing if you can reduce the amount that you and/or your parents by into the house, and also by reminding yourself when you pass the shops that you could be saving towards _______ instead of buying some Monster Munch (or whatever tickles you fancy) :thumb:
    lipsy wrote:
    whats the thread got to do with you? i think for a guy thats very inspirational - to go from bordering on obese to looking so buff!

If you're going to be like that, whats it got to do with you? I just wondered what was so apparently "inspirational" about it.
    thanks people for all the good words, as soon as i wake up on the 5/9/06 i am going to get on that excercise bike , i am so determined now to loose weight nd will kepp u informed how i am doing.
    it might help you to plan what you are going to eat and have plenty of healthy options available. snack on fruit and drink lots of water. make sure you don't starve yourself though because it will bring your mood down and probably make you rebel and eat loads of junk. its not a bad thing to have a treat once a week.

as you start to lose weight and feel all those endorphins from exercising you'll feel great.
    If you're going to be like that, whats it got to do with you? I just wondered what was so apparently "inspirational" about it.
    its pretty obvious - a guy goes from obese to buff.
    he wants to lose weight not look like a muscle-man.
    The man went from 150lb overweight, to his present image. So everyone who looses weight through aerobic & anaerobic excersise & has a healthy diet wants to look like a muscle man, opposed from looking slimmer?

Moon - Perhaps you didn't read properly, he lost a massive amount of weight & now is a successful person in the fitness industry, weather or not you could have the commitment some people do.
    thanks people for all the good words, as soon as i wake up on the 5/9/06 i am going to get on that excercise bike , i am so determined now to loose weight nd will kepp u informed how i am doing.

good luck! my tips; dont buy junk food when you go shopping.dont get crips/chocolate/fizzy pop. Also, find a picture of you looking at your biggest+stick it on the fridge door. ul see it everytime u reach for a can of coke+it'll help you to say no.
    If plain water isnt your thing, try fruit juices or vegetable juices. Also, cucumber is very good for you. when you eat it, it actually uses more calories to break it down+digest it than it contains, therefore you can lose weight abit by eating it as a snack!
    If plain water isnt your thing,
    yeh he could buy sugar free cordials. i have a glass which is a pint and a half and i fill it up and have it next to me all the time. i drink so many a day!
    HIT wrote:
    Moon - Perhaps you didn't read properly, he lost a massive amount of weight & now is a successful person in the fitness industry, weather or not you could have the commitment some people do.

Don't patronise me. I just don't see whats so inspirational about some chappy losing weight. Yes, its good for him that he was successful in losing weight and is now a successful person, but I don't think its inspiring in any way, shape or form. Maybe we just have different definitions of what is or isn't inspiring.