Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Achieving a 2:2 degree - rant

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It isn't always down to applying yourself. I know that on my course I'll never get a first or even a 2:1 with some of my essays, because I don't agree with the lecturer's viewpoint. No matter how much I apply myself, because I don't subscribe to his historiographical viewpoint then I'll never get the higher marks. Thats nothing to do with me or my essay writing skills, other than the fact I refuse to churn out a shite essay that agrees with what his research is about.
  • Options
    How's it anything to do with luck? You luckily managed to do well in every essay you did for 2 years?

Or unluckily got hayfever for the whole of the two-week exam period? Or a head cold? Or even just didn't sleep very well the night before the exam which carried the most marks because of a burglar alarm next door?

The difference between 69 and 70 is what the point is, because that's what employers look for.

I'm not trying to say that just anybody could get a 1st, because that would be stupid, but when you get to the higher levels at university the difference often does just simply come down to how well you apply yourself. And I know very able people who missed out on 1sts because of burglar alarms and because of hayfever.
  • Options
    bacon wrote:
    Yes but you will find burglar alarms and hayfever in the real world before deadlines also. How you decide to apply yourself and cope with the trials of life is every bit as important as IQ/intelligence.

Of course you'll find everything like that in real life, but its rare that a career deadline is a three-hour exam slog.

Universities like Durham still base most of the degree on one-off exams- get disturbed the night before and it can and does affect your grade.
  • Options
    Don't give up just yet ;-)
    i dropped out from UWE after recieving several top 2:1s and one first for criminal law (coursework). nevertheless i dropped out due to 'mental health' problems HA, i now have to explain a failure on my record that i shouldnt otherwise have to comment on, you know?
    I'm doing my last course for a BSc Hons International Studies with the Open University, it looks like I will get a 2:2, as it is a lot of politics and economics in the last course and I ain't gonna get over 70 % - I just need 55-70 % for a 2:2 which I am disappointed in as I have heard of other uni's giving 2:1's for high 60 % averages. To the poster - please consider restarting your degree with the Open University!!!
  • Options
    Differences in uni's grading
    Renzo wrote:
    I want a 2:1. I have to say this year i got a 2:2 (57) and I was annoyed because in 25% of the year i only got 50 in modules and im not sure where i went wrong. However, i got 65 average in my 1st year so as long as i can manage that i will have my 2:1. I'm planning on a masters too.
    With the Open University a 3rd is 40 - 54 %, a 2:2 is 55 - 69 %, a 2:1 is 70 - 84 % and a 1st is 85 % and above. My averages are mid to high 60's and will get a 2:2. Anyone know of different scores for other uni's???
  • Options
    just out of curiosity, what university do mose of you guys go to? because im a tUCL and im finding my course very hard (its maths) and id be happy with a 2.2 i know that something like psycology or somehting is nothing compared to the amount of work we do. also with it being UCL it is addionally harder as its at a faster pace i wold expect. some people get 3 terms whilst we only get 2 which is a bummer.
  • Options
    vmong wrote:
    just out of curiosity, what university do mose of you guys go to? because im a tUCL and im finding my course very hard (its maths) and id be happy with a 2.2 i know that something like psycology or somehting is nothing compared to the amount of work we do. also with it being UCL it is addionally harder as its at a faster pace i wold expect. some people get 3 terms whilst we only get 2 which is a bummer.

How is it additionally harder? And its at a faster pace than what? I get 2 semesters rather than 3 terms, and I cope with my workload fine.
  • Options
    vmong wrote:
    why would it be additionally harder because you're at a certain place? a maths degree is a maths degree.
  • Options
    you do not understand until you have been there, i mean for example, in Queenmary or Kings College say, we cover material that they not cover in the first year or the second term. and we go onto to even harder stuff that mose unis do not even cover full stop. i mean if you would like a debate i dont mind. i mean you say a maths degree is a maths degree, but not when we do like things you can only imagine. its unbearable, i am just saying, there is a reasonw why degrees from oxbridge are so respected. its because they HAVE to work harder.
  • Options
    yeh.. degrees can be more respected depending on where you graduated from. i.e. redbrick Vs met
  • Options
    Although even your maths degree from UCL will only get limited credit until you learn to construct sentances and spell!

Someone once said to me is all I need to do is graduate and have useful skills to an employer.
  • Options
    I just found out yesterday that I got a 2:2 and I'm absolutely gutted. I did slack off for my first couple of years at uni but for my last 2 years I really pulled my socks up. My degree classification was split over my third and fourth year which I think is greatly unfair. My flatmate's degree classification was only determined by her fourth year. If this had been the case in my course, I would also have got a 2:1 as she did.

I'm really disappointed in myself as I know I could have done better. I haven't told my family yet but I know when I do they'll be pretty disappointed too.

Most employers look for graduates with at least a 2:1 so I'm really struggling to see what the point is in having a 2:2 or a third.

I know everyone on this site with 2:2s are defending this grade but if you are totally honest with yourself, the stereotypes of this mark are never going to be fully eradicated.
  • Options
    You might want to have a look at our article about grades and some of the stereotypes that surround them

http://www.thesite.org/workandstudy/gettingajob/graduates/overcomingyourgradestereotype

Personally I didn't even manage to get an honours degree, just an ordinary but can't say I've ever given it or anyone's else grade a second thought since. Though I can understand it has a big effect in certain industries and graduate schemes.
  • Options
    hmm.... i remember this thread...
    how things change:)

isn't it funny how i got a 3rd and now I have a really good job in the area i studied in, and have gained experience starting my own company, while a lot of people who got 2:1's and even 1st's on my course are working in a bank or somewhere else completely unrelated to what they ideally wanted to do.

go figure.