Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Timing of a Post-Mortem / Funeral

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My great uncle (my Grandma's brother) died earlier today.

He originally went into hospital to have a triple heart bypass which went well, but he got a lot of complications from the anaesthetic and they think that's eventually what killed him. Because the heart op went well, the doctor that did it is refusing to allow that to be put on the death certificate as the cause of death and is insisting on a post-mortem (quite rightly!).

My question is, any idea how long these things take and when we can expect the funeral to be? Do "post-mortem doctors" work weekends? :confused:

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sorry for what's happened to you. Both my parent's died in the last few years. When my mum died, there we're complications with treatment so they had to have a post mortem. It was 15 days from when she died until we cremated her. I really don't know if that's an average time, or quick or what.

A few other factors will come in to play too. How busy the funeral service you're going to use is, availability of church, vicar/priest, crematorium, plot to be dug. Maybe ask at a funeral service place. They're really helpful usually and try to take as much of the burden, for a price, off your shoulders that they can.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I'm sure they try and do post mortems as soon as they can after death. Once that's out of the way they will release the body for funeral. Once it is released it depends on the area and how quickly you can organise funeral.

Really sorry to hear that you have had to go through all this. I hope the process is quick for you. xx