Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Change in organ donation laws

2»

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Question: I think they can only use your organs if your "death" is that the heart stopped beating or your brain is dead but your body is still living, is that right?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The whole opt-out system is basically trickery in my book. Can you really see the government spending the time and effort to explain to people how to opt out of the system in the same way they try to encourage people to opt in? What about those of the religious belief that organ donation is wrong - what if they have trouble opting out?

I think it takes a special kind of person to agree to donate their organs. At the moment i don't feel that it's something i wish to do due to my beliefs, but if at any point in the future that decision changes then i know where to turn to donate. I'd much rather that than have my organs stolen from me before i had made a conscious decision on the matter.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I agree with Aladdin on this one. An opt-out system is the sensible choice. I know a load of people who have no problem with organ donation but haven't got a card, which really is something needing to be sorted out.