Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Gah, am very nervous!

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Glittery wrote:
    Well technically I failed cos I stalled going up a hill cos I got distracted by a girls boots :o
    :lol: sounds about right :p
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    :lol: sounds about right :p
    :o What's that supposed to mean?

:p
  • Options
    To me, it seems like an attempt to make a fail into something less than it is, and to derive some form of consolation from the statement.

Thats exactly what it is though. You don't go around saying "all the best people pass second time" all the time, its usually to someone after they just failed their first as a consolation, making them feel a bit better about the fact that not everybody passes first time, even people who are now competent and experienced drivers.
  • Options
    Thats exactly what it is though. You don't go around saying "all the best people pass second time" all the time, its usually to someone after they just failed their first as a consolation, making them feel a bit better about the fact that not everybody passes first time, even people who are now competent and experienced drivers.

Exactly. It's like me consoling my cousin last week "Don't worry babe - NO ONE passes GCSE R.E unless they're doing it at A Level!" totally regardless of the fact that I achieved an A at the exact same school and on the exact same course last year (And I tended to spend R.E on the phone).

It's not people stating fact, it's people trying to make me feel better. And thankyou everyone for that btw :) It helped. I also got taken out for lunch and was given presents for me and my car because my boyfriend couldnt be bothered to hide them for a month so now I'm not overly bothered :) Give it 3 weeks and I might be though!
  • Options
    Sorry for being an ass, but when people say it, it always seems as if it's serious. Maybe I'm just too serious for my own good :(
  • Options
    I have mine next Thursday :nervous:
  • Options
    nicx1811 wrote:
    It's not people stating fact, it's people trying to make me feel better.

And maybe a little bit of people stating fact :p

Nah, just kidding. The thing is that just because you don't ace your test first time round doesn't mean you won't be a good driver. Good driving comes from experience and thus good judgement, and 99.9% of that experience comes from what you do AFTER you pass your test.

Trust me - driving didn't come naturally to me AT ALL, and I really had to work my ass off to pass my test, but now I consider myself to be pretty good. Much, much better that my scary-ass brother who had like 10 lessons and then passed first time, and some years later has smashed up 2 cars and has 9 points on his license. :chin:
  • Options
    Jazza wrote:
    I have mine next Thursday :nervous:

Ohhhhh good luck!!!

And Kaffrin I know what you mean. My mate passed first time in May and has since crashed her own car, TOTALLED her boyfriends and nearly hit a cyclist.

I'm not a natural driver, I panic, but it's mainly the pressure of the person criticizing me in the passenger seat. I could drive my self I'm pretty sure. Unfortunetly, doesn't work that way.
  • Options
    nicx1811 wrote:
    I'm not a natural driver, I panic, but it's mainly the pressure of the person criticizing me in the passenger seat. I could drive my self I'm pretty sure. Unfortunetly, doesn't work that way.

That's a lot to do with experience too. I was the same, and you'll get there in the end, don't worry. Because I wasn't a natural, I had to learn how to react to situations, and the more you do things, the more you'll just know what to do, and do it instinctively, rather than getting in a bit of a flap about it. It's experience, and it's confidence and they're both linked.