Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Ear piercing

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Please please don't go to claires. Go to someone who knows what they're doing. A real body piercer has studied anatomy and physiology, and should hold certificates in health and safety and know how to use an autoclave. I can't stress it enough, don't go to Claire's Accessories - it's a kids jewellery shop, not a place to be pierced.
    No, I wouldnt get it done at Claires either. Seems a bit of a shambles, and I wouldn't sit on a stool getting my ears done with loads of ten year olds milling around me :yuck:
    Claires and other places is scary for exatcly what Illora says. Its just some scabby teenager with a piercing gun. They don't know anything. I used to know someone who worked at one. They have an extensive peircing procedure knowledge.

Put a mark where they want it, put the gun near that and pierce. Twas all she was told, and she could go pierce.

:S

I got my lobes done at a Claires-like place in a mall. I didnt' know any better but it is shady to look back on. Luckily nothing has gone wrong.

Proper piercing places should bring down their price, imo. Get your ears pierced in a mall ~$7 Get your ears pierced properly ~$40-50. When you think about it, how many early/pre teens and their parents are going to spend half a hundo getting their ear lobes pierced when they can get them for under a tenner.
    Claires is about £10 proper places can vary from £20 - £30 for a pair of earrings. I know I'd perfer to pay a bit more to get it done properly. I'm sure its because of the gun peircings I have a nasty nickel allergy and can only wear surgigal grads stainless steel earrings. Plus I have to change the lobe ones about once I year or I get a lot of infections. I've only changed the rings once and that was because I had an operation and cba to put a bcr back in, the cartlidge peircings went back in about two hours after the operation.
    gun piercings = "blow outs" & infections = unhappy holes :(

needle piercings = less damaging & less painful = happy holes :)

my mate's a piercer and the amount of times she's seen peoples ears that have been fucked by gun piercing is stupid :yes:
    i had my ears done with a gun, even my cartilage piercing, which took about a year to heal.

I was too young at the time to know i should do my own research into the ways of piercing, i dont think i even knew that a needle could be used, i was at the age where i trusted that it was safe if it was allowed to be done. My mum didnt know guns are bad either, as she had hers done with a gun and had no problems so had no problem me letting me have mine done in the same way.

Nowdays i cant wear earrings anyway as every time i do, my lobes swell and go itchy. Im not bothered- i prefer myself without anyway but it would be nice to wear them for a special occasion. Im able to leave the cartilage one in, ive had a BCR in it for years with no problems now.

Im completely totally against babies and toddlers having their ears pierced. And even without the welfare implications, i think it looks cheap and tacky.

I think there should be regulations that the minimum age for ear-piercings is 14, and i think piercing guns should be banned.
    I'm WTFing at the people saying needles hurt less & heal better than guns. I had my first ear piercings done with a gun - it hurt for literally a split second & then it was over (I remember I let out a weird yelping noise that probably freaked ut the piercer LOL), healed up with no problems. I had a 2nd pair of ear piercings just a bit further up my earlobe than the first lot. They were done with a needle - it hurt like shit going through my ear, & they were throbbing for ages afterwards. They never healed right & I ended up getting sick of them & taking them out a few months later. It's almost a year later now & the scar tissue has only just gone (used to be that when I pinched my lobe between 2 fingers I could feel a hard lump of scar tissue). Admittedly I did go to a gig a few weeks after the second lot, but they weren't healing right anyway, & they didn't get caught on anything while I was there. *shrug*