Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Has anyone ever tried Tai-Chi before?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
The thread title says it all really. Do you guys have any experience of Tai-Chi and would you recommend it if so? I've been thinking of joining a class but it costs £30 a month so would like to hear from people who have had a go before splashing the cash!

Also how much is self-defence a part of tai-chi? I've seen groups of people doing those slow dance-like movements, but never anyone actually sparring. Don't fancy getting beaten up on my first day :eek2:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Yep I did, but as far as I know you don't beat the crap out of each other, at least not if you do it for relaxation... unless Tai-Chi doesn't mean the same thing in English andFrench but that would surprise me...

My grandfather is a big fan of it, he is the one I did sme with, it is quite quite cool and relaxing, also we were doing quite slowly as it was aim for relaxation, makethe moves faster and it is more like fighting...

Apparantly some great Tai-Chi master can hit people without touching them, just by collecting energy and such...

I have been to few clasf of Tai-Chi as well, but well a retared group, and there was never anything about self-defence...

Learning how to breathe to stop pain is excellent to learn tho, Tai-Chi can teach you a fair amount of control over your body...

I would recommend it...
  • Options
    Cool thanks for that, I'm interested in the more relaxing side of it, but have heard it was a fighting system so thought i'd check I had the right idea of what was involved! But what you described sounds like something i'd enjoy so think i'll go for it :thumb:
  • Options
    yeah if you are after relaxing it's like... the martial arts form of yoga? however i was after something more like Tae Kwondo so...
  • Options
    yeah ive done it - do a class every week at my gym. But it is more relaxing side of things like concerntrating on breathing, imagining you ae holding things, moving slowly - very relaxing. Builds up your strength too - mainly legs
  • Options
    I would like to start tai-chi, but its fitting it in. :(
  • Options
    I haven't tried Tai-Chi, but I would greatly like to try that :]
    Any suggestions if I should try?