Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Periods after coming off pill

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was just wondering for those of you who have come off the pill, how long did it take before you had your first period after coming off the pill? Also, how long did it take for your periods to get back to normal/regular?

Thanks x

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It was about 3.5 months for me before my first period, and after that they settled down pretty quickly.

However, one of my college friends didn't have a period for a year and a half after coming off, so it can vary. And I've heard of people just having one in 4 weeks, as normal.
    i'd been on my pill for 4 years when i decided to come off it. i got my next period at exactly the same time as i would have done if i was still on my period and they stayed regular.
    I didnt get my first period for about 3 months. I have now been off a year and they are still not bad to normal. stupid thing i will never go back on it ruined a big chunk of my life
    I have been off the pill for a few months and my body is well and truely fucked up, I'm getting bouts of pmt and cramps randomly at the moment. I was on the pill pretty much constantly for 7 years (with just a few breaks here and there) I also had a habit of doubling up packets quite a bit and not taking them regularly so that probably did me no favours.

I don't think there are any rules about when everything gets back to normal as everyone is different, so I wouldn't worry if its taking a while.
    I was on the combined pill for two years then came off it for a year - had one period about three months after coming off it, then nothing. Then I went back on it for a year, came off it and had nothing for about eight months until I went on the mini pill. I've been on the mini pill for two and a half years now and have only had about six bouts of bleeding (but they have usually only started a couple of days after a night of seriously energetic activity.. ;) - I don't think they count as proper periods!).

I dread to think what'll happen when I come off the mini pill! Don't think that'll be until I plan to have kids, so I'll probably be on it for another four or five years at least.
    Okay, well it is good to hear that it is different for everyone. Just very annoying that I don't know when to expect my next period, I keep feeling like I am going to come on but then I don't, I guess I should expect to wait a couple of months.

Thanks for your replies! x