Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

where to find good jeans

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm desperate for a new pair of jeans. But the ones about now all seem to be skinny fit, which i hate. I like jeans to be loose around my ankles (bootcut) but i can't seem to find any. Or if i do they're stone wash blue jeans and i want dark jeans.
So any idea where i can find dark bootcut jeans for a reasonable price?

Comments

• Options
    Matalan, papaya jeans £10 or 2 or £15.
  • Options
    Cherokee at Tesco, :heart: Cherokee jeans.
  • Options
    internacional or mkone.

topshop and new look normally keep their few key shapes too (inc bootcut ones), but not sure about colours.
  • Options
    I've preferred Topshop in the past, but this season's jeans are thoroughly uninspiring, I am amazed at what a poor show they've come up with. (Not that they were fabulous before, but still better than now!) River Island have a nice choice of styles, but I find their sizing is a bit hit or miss; I could fit in an 8R, 10S and 10R all in the same shop, according to different cuts, and they're often £35-45 for one pair. I find jeans shopping a nightmare as so many things have to be just right! Good luck on your hunt
  • Options
    Dorothy Perkins :hyper:
  • Options
    Just about every shop I went into yesterday had dark blue bootcut jeans.

Try New Look for a big variety of sizes and colours and no total rip-off prices.
  • Options
    For God's sake, LEVIS :D

I won't wear any other jean. Levis fit amazingly well, have the biggest range of styles (skinny, bootcut, loose, straight, flare, wide) colours (stonewash, dark blue, black, white) and sizes (up to size 16 in long, short or medium)

My last pair (which I bought 2 of because I love them so much!) cost £40. And they'll last years, in comparison to £10 pairs from New Look which last a year at the most.
  • Options
    For God's sake, LEVIS :D

I won't wear any other jean. Levis fit amazingly well, have the biggest range of styles (skinny, bootcut, loose, straight, flare, wide) colours (stonewash, dark blue, black, white) and sizes (up to size 16 in long, short or medium)

My last pair (which I bought 2 of because I love them so much!) cost £40. And they'll last years, in comparison to £10 pairs from New Look which last a year at the most.

ive never tried levis....but just wanted to point out that i have a pair of primark jeans i got when i was 17, im now 21 and they are still going strong, i wear them loads, so cheap things arent always crap quality. Ive got a few pairs from internacional when i started uni 3 years ago, that cost me between £10-15 each and they are still healthy
  • Options
    My dad has still got a (now vintage, or perhaps antique!!!) pair of Levis that he wore when he was 19, he's now 58 and still wears them :lol: :yes:

Levis are damn good quality and they're just superb. Tis all :thumb:
  • Options
    I was gonna say, New Look arent that great for quality. Its alright for a top you might wear once or twice but I'd never buy jeans in there or anything I'd wear more than a few times.
  • Options
    Do you have the store express there? Or gap? They are the only two stores I buy jeans from as they are the only two stores that have comfortable reasonably priced that actually fit. And not just me, I've heard alot of good things about those two from different sized people. And the last foreeeever.
  • Options
    I like Gap jeans the best personally. I love their long and lean style. They fit my shape perfectly (im a bit pear shaped) and are really flattering and comfortable. Theyre about £40 but i think theyre worth it.
    Different brands tend to suit different shapes, so its worth trying some different ones on, because what fits someone well on here, might not fit another.
  • Options
    And they always go on sale ;) :thumb: :heart:
  • Options
    Different brands tend to suit different shapes, so its worth trying some different ones on, because what fits someone well on here, might not fit another.

Yeah, that's a really good point actually. Fit is pretty subjective, and definitely an individual thing. Pretty much all the brands mentioned so far don't work on me, but on other people might be fabulous.

On the quality aspect - most jeans will last for years and years, regardless of brand. It's cause denim as a fabric is really hardwearing and fuck all to do with which particular sweatshop made them.
  • Options
    I dunno, I've given new looks jeans a good old feel, and some of their really cheap ones feel really... thin, like paper thin. The Levis I'm wearing now are much heavier and thicker, and feel a lot more 'sturdy'.
    It also depends if you go for jeans with lycra (stretchy jeans) or non stretch - non stretch last much longer because they hold their shape.
  • Options
    thats true. The new look jeans I had were definitely a lighter denim than my gap ones, which made them very comfy and good spring/autumn jean, but thicker denim hides more lumps and bumps and is warmer for winter, and probably last longer. On the downside, might be a bit thick for those inbetween seasons.
  • Options
    I dunno, I've given new looks jeans a good old feel, and some of their really cheap ones feel really... thin, like paper thin. The Levis I'm wearing now are much heavier and thicker, and feel a lot more 'sturdy'.

While my non-stretch Levis are heavy as anything, my stretch Levis are MUCH thinner than my stretch New Looks. Not that it's entirely relevant anyway, as quality is not defined by weight.

I do like the Levis (although only these two specific styles, none of the others suit me) but I got them both for under £15 each, and I wouldn't have paid more.
  • Options
    well i've been treated to £20 from my gran today for 'doing well' in my exams lol, and a bit of spare money so i might try levis, but if i can i'll get some cheaper ones. Alot of jeans tend to hang off my arse and have a big gap in my back, but when i try the smaller size i can't fasten them (bloody belly even though i hardly have one).
    I'll see what shops i can find tomorrow. Thanks for all the suggestions. Jeans shopping is an absolute nightmare.

The ones i have now are the only pair ive got and ive had them since i was 13. But they were from etoms and they've closed down now :(
  • Options
    I brought a pair from Dorothy Perkins last week, and I love them, I only really buy my jeans from there. There's no way I can afford £40 on just a pair of bloody jeans, I can think of better things to spend £40 on tbh.
  • Options
    i know exactly what you mean!!1 i feel same way.....New look kids range are amazing lol.....if you are about a size 10 in womens jeans then you will fit in a kids size 14-15 then fit waist hips butt thighs and ankles really well perfect for my shape! and theyre not cheapy unstylish ones either if you can get the more "grown up" plain ones. and the most ive ever paid for jeans there is £14
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    I brought a pair from Dorothy Perkins last week, and I love them, I only really buy my jeans from there. There's no way I can afford £40 on just a pair of bloody jeans, I can think of better things to spend £40 on tbh.
    thats what i was thinking, i can probably buy several that are just as good for that price. Since losing my job this summer and not being able to find another i'm pretty skint right now.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    Alot of jeans tend to hang off my arse and have a big gap in my back

I find tis as well. Even when I've got my belt done up. And I can't get jeans that are any smaller because they don't fit.

Try looking at car boots - I sometimes get my jens from there adn they're fine.
  • Options
    Most of the time I get my jeans from Dorothy Perkins or Next, since my arse can't fit into Levis. Always lasted a long time and the prices are not too bad.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    well i've been treated to £20 from my gran today for 'doing well' in my exams lol, and a bit of spare money so i might try levis, but if i can i'll get some cheaper ones. Alot of jeans tend to hang off my arse and have a big gap in my back, but when i try the smaller size i can't fasten them (bloody belly even though i hardly have one).
    thats exactly what happens to me with topshop jeans. i swear i've tried on every make of jeans and diesel/pepe/miss sixty are the only ones that fit me but they're expensive.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    thats exactly what happens to me with topshop jeans. i swear i've tried on every make of jeans and diesel/pepe/miss sixty are the only ones that fit me but they're expensive.
    :yes: i try an 8 and i can barely breathe in them, then i try a 10 and they're hanging off me. :grump:
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    :yes: i try an 8 and i can barely breathe in them, then i try a 10 and they're hanging off me. :grump:

I'm the same. All my jeans are size 12, purely because if I wear a 10 I can't move from the position of where I fastened them. But with ALL my 12's a belt is essential otherwise I look like a poor excuse of an emo-stylee dresser. Which with my best lacy knickers is not a good look, as I discovered when I didn't wear a belt the other day at work!

Everything else I own (skirts, shorts, non-denim trousers) are a 10. Even from the same shops as the jeans I own. It's LESS than amusing.
  • Options
    nicx1811 wrote:
    I'm the same. All my jeans are size 12, purely because if I wear a 10 I can't move from the position of where I fastened them. But with ALL my 12's a belt is essential otherwise I look like a poor excuse of an emo-stylee dresser. Which with my best lacy knickers is not a good look, as I discovered when I didn't wear a belt the other day at work!

Everything else I own (skirts, shorts, non-denim trousers) are a 10. Even from the same shops as the jeans I own. It's LESS than amusing.
    are your jeans of the same make? have you tried shopping around in more expensive shops such as diesel?
  • Options
    I have that exact problem wtih most jeans but Gap long and lean are pretty much the only ones that I dont have that problem with. It really might be worth trying a pair of those. Apparently Trinny and susannah really rate them too for what thats worth.
  • Options
    i'm not a big fan of jeans shopping either. i'm so god damn fussy and i must be a funny shape!

eta: if you're wanting more expensive jeans such as diesel or miss sixty it's sometimes worth a root through tkmaxx. or just wait until the sales are on.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    are your jeans of the same make? have you tried shopping around in more expensive shops such as diesel?

Its the same in any shop I've been in.

And tbh I can't really afford to pay any more than I already do for them - the most expensive jeans I own were £36 from Topshop, with my student discount, and that's only because my dad had given me £40 because I'd done some stuff and errands for him while he was ill (and he was obviously still ill because I've NEVER been given more than £1 by him without him whining)