Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Ebay! (Again)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So I bought a mascara the other day, although the actual listing didnt say the size of the tube, it said that it retailed for £15 making me think that it was the 8.5g tube as this is how much it is in the shops. Also the photo on the listing was of the 8.5g tube.

So along comes Mrs Postwoman this morning with my parcel, and I open it to find not the 8.5g tube of mascara but the 4g tube. Now the 4g tube is usually in set that you buy with eyeliner and stuff and as far as Im aware you cant buy it seperately and if you can it certainly isnt worth £15 like the woman stated in the listing.

What do I do now? I feel like I've been misled, I've emailed her to say basically what I said here, am I screwed it she just says "tough luck"?
I've never had a dispute before, advise me people!

This is the listing here - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=006&item=160022310554&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Comments

• Options
    I'd say you're stuck with it unless the one in the photograph is a different size to the one you bought. :)
  • Options
    It is, the one in the photo is the bigger one, she sent me a teeeeeeny one.
  • Options
    Then yeah, you have a reasonable basis to feel that you have been deliberately missold as the written description wasn't complete, leaving you to go by the image used.

She'll still probably tell you to sod off though - she has little feedback to worry about. If you've paid with PayPal then make some kind of complaint - I rarely touch it, so I'll be out of touch with the process. But my understanding is that once you lodge a complaint then that amount will be frozen in the sellers account until their 'investigation' is complete - which gives you a greater chance of getting your money back than if her account is empty as a result of your email query to her ;).
  • Options
    I don't think you will get a refund via PayPal dispute process, not even partial refund. Maybe you can come to some sort of arrangement before it gets to this stage! There was no explicit mention of the item being 8.5g tube just implied from the picture (which looks like a photo from the Internet or from another seller). I would chalk that one down to experience.
  • Options
    Seems like a clear-cut case of mis-selling to me if one picture is shown and it was not mentioned anywhere that the article in the picutre wasn't what you were going to get.
  • Options
    File a "item significantly different to what was decribed" dispute.
  • Options
    For starters it does not state what size or G it is, and its always good to have information before you buy a product.

So if you buy more make-up you should check it out;)
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote:

So if you buy more make-up you should check it out;)

but the picture shown was the bigger one making her (as it would you as well no doubt) think that's what she was getting.
  • Options
    if you have the return address, which will of course be her home im sure theres something you could send...a used condom, a rotten fish, horses head, that kind of thing..
  • Options
    but the picture shown was the bigger one making her (as it would you as well no doubt) think that's what she was getting.

I see your point
  • Options
    She replied to me saying this:

"The photo shown was actually of the same bottle but zoomed in on my camera, the 8.5g bottle actually retails for over £20 as I am a stockist and the 4g bottle sells for £14.75 (check out Boots the Chemist) I am sorry you are unhappy, I can offer you a discount on something else and I will make sure the size is clearly priced on my auctions in future"

Zoomed in my arse.

Has any of you girls bought this mascara from Boots before? I usually buy it in another dept store and pay £15 for the 8.5g tube and she's saying that Boots sell that for £20. Their website has one for £14.75 but it doesnt say the size, story of my life ;)
  • Options
    Saeed MSaeed M Posts: 270 The Mix Regular
    Unfortunately I don't think there's anything you can do in my opinion. If there was an 8.5g label or marking on the picture you would have had a chance to complain to Paypal who normally side with buyers.
  • Options
    Nothing helpful to add, but what a bitch :mad:

ETA: Also give her bad feedback, that 100% positive she has right now has obviously gone to her head. Something like 'Sold me trial size mascara at full price. Misleading and Dishonest seller' Should get her back up.
  • Options
    I doubt you'll be able to get your money back tbh, as although you say the tube shown is the larger size, it doesn't actually visibly say on it anywhere 8.5g. And as her wording is ambiguous she isn't actually saying that the one she is selling usually retails at fifteen quid. It's looking dodgy to me and I think you might have to chalk this one up to experience. I don't think you'll be able to say it's significantly different to her description.

Tell you what, pull her details and I'll go round and mash her for you.
  • Options
    Can't you email her back and say that you're not happy with your purchase and want a refund?

I'd also try an ebay dispute, under 'dramatically different from item description' and see what happens if she refuses to refund you.

Then, if all else fails, give her negative feedback (and then in future, ask questions before bidding ;))
  • Options
    I haven't got much help, other than this

First item (unfortunetly this doesn't state the size, but I'm lead to believe from the price of the next link, it is the 8.5ml tube)

Second item (containing 4ml tube)
  • Options
    I still havent replied to her, I think I am just going to have to put it down to experience.

Char - I dont want to leave her neg feedback cos she'll only do it to me aswell :/

nicx1811 - That's all I could find on Boots webby too and I thought the same as you.

Ilora - I asked about a refund when I emailed her, her offering me a discount I think is her way of saying she doesnt do refunds.

Miffy - Mashing her for me would be great, thank you :D

I've just woken up so when Im a bit less dopey I'll read up on the ebay disputes, if you dont ask you dont get I spose ;)
  • Options
    Okay... just noticed.

She said in her email that the picture in the auction was of a 'zoomed 4ml tube'?

Well, if you compare the proportions of the 8ml and the 4ml tube you can see that there's an obvious proportional difference between length of tubes in comparison to the lid/top.

8ml

4ml

and finally;

the picture she supplied for the auction

:chin: I think you have a case in a dispute, my dear!!
  • Options
    Exactly!

Im going to do the eBay dispute thingy.
  • Options
    Good. The best of luck!! Us girls and our mascara aye :thumb:
  • Options
    Ach, apparently I have to wait til 10 days after the auction before I can raise a dispute so I cant do anything til 2nd Sept. I'll ressurect this thread then and let you know what happens ;)
  • Options
    If its of any help to any ladies, I went with my mother in law to TJ Hughes ( I never normally go ) and was amazed to see the bad gal gear set retailing for £5 it has the false eyelashes, eye liner and mascara in. I bought 3 because it saves me buying the full size mascara at boots.
  • Options
    If its of any help to any ladies, I went with my mother in law to TJ Hughes ( I never normally go ) and was amazed to see the bad gal gear set retailing for £5 it has the false eyelashes, eye liner and mascara in. I bought 3 because it saves me buying the full size mascara at boots.
    Where/What is TJ Hughes? It sounds good!
  • Options
    Don't get too excited, the nearest one to you is either Maidstone or Weston Super Mare.

ETA: Ooh no, hang on, Bournemouth, Eastbourne, Crawley. I lied!
  • Options
    Char_Baby wrote:
    Where/What is TJ Hughes? It sounds good!

We have one, it's great for a bargian :p
  • Options
    Aye TJ Hughes is a goldmine for benefit stuff, you have to go at the right time though, I always seem to miss it :grump:
  • Options
    I had the Bad Gal mascara. I chucked it out as it flakes and runs off big time and gave me panda eyes :grump:

Tweety - Where is T J Hughes?!? I think I'm missing out on something!!
  • Options
    Awww my nan and grandad used to shop in the TJ Hughes in Liverpool :heart: fond memories. :yes:
  • Options
    Tweety - Where is T J Hughes?!? I think I'm missing out on something!!

Abbeywood retail park, next to what used to be big w is now woolworths.