Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Crossing caution

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Celtic goalkeeper cautioned for crossing himself.

It's not often I'm in agreement with the SNP leader Alex Salmond and the Catholic Church but this really is just an absurd decision.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Brian McBride does it every time he scores for Fulham. Okay, so he doesn't do it very often then, but he never gets cautioned when he does.
    Ha. I guess an Old Firm match is more sensitive but the symbol is as the RC Church correctly describes it a "gesture of religious reverence" - I don't see why the Celtic goalkeeper should be punished because a few Rangers fans might use it as an excuse to start trouble. Maybe a quiet unofficial word from the club that it's a bad idea and could cause trouble would be acceptable but an official caution is out of order.
    They should watch South American football, the players cross themselves like five times a match: before it starts, when they get on the field, when they score, when they leave the field (even if the game isn't over and they are just staying on the bench) and then when the match is over.
    People against this are just wankers. I remember watching a youth Northern Ireland match and a fella came ond blessed himself. Just shows that it's all a lot of bollocks. One of the main thing in personal freedom is the right to practice religion openly!
    It should be noted that he was NOT cautioned purely for blessing himself. The Crown Office report states he flicked the Vs at the fans, he made "another obscene gesture" and then he blessed himself.

I bet you wouldn't find many football supporters that would be offended by someone blessing themself but deliberately provocative gestures shouldn't go unpunished, especially in an already heated atmosphere.

On a slight tangent, if all eleven players from both teams bless themselves as they walk out on to the pitch, who does God choose? The players that did it first? The players that did it fastest? Or would the game end in a draw?
    maybe they don't only cross themselves to win, but for the safety of players and a good clean game.
    hazell wrote:
    maybe they don't only cross themselves to win, but for the safety of players and a good clean game.
    :lol:
    On a slight tangent, if all eleven players from both teams bless themselves as they walk out on to the pitch, who does God choose? The players that did it first? The players that did it fastest? Or would the game end in a draw?
    The team with the best players. God's a glory supporter. I bet he never even set foot in Stamford Bridge before Abramovich took over.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/5292656.stm

I wonder if Ruth Kelly, Alex Salmond, the Roman Catholic Church and the dozens of braindead fans that swamped Radio Clyde, Real Radio, Radio Scotland and Radio 5Live will bother to read the facts before they jump on the oppressed bandwagon next time.

It's interesting to see Salmond try to blame the Crown Office rather than admitting he was too quick to try and nip in for the vote of the West of Scotland Oppressed.

Still, with the spoon-feeding, Big Brother culture, sensationalism will always win when the alternative is for people to read and understand something for themselves.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/5292656.stm

I wonder if Ruth Kelly, Alex Salmond, the Roman Catholic Church and the dozens of braindead fans that swamped Radio Clyde, Real Radio, Radio Scotland and Radio 5Live will bother to read the facts before they jump on the oppressed bandwagon next time.

It's interesting to see Salmond try to blame the Crown Office rather than admitting he was too quick to try and nip in for the vote of the West of Scotland Oppressed.

Still, with the spoon-feeding, Big Brother culture, sensationalism will always win when the alternative is for people to read and understand something for themselves.

Gers fan eh? :p
    Yerascrote wrote:
    Gers fan eh? :p

I'd like to think anyone with a brain, regardless of their football allegiances, could see Ruth Kelly etc. were digging a hole for themselves with their ignorance. :)
    NQA wrote:
    :lol:
    looks like theres a cynic in our midst.
    I'd like to think anyone with a brain, regardless of their football allegiances, could see Ruth Kelly etc. were digging a hole for themselves with their ignorance. :)
    Is Ruth Kelly the one that sounds like a teenage boy trying to buy beer?
    Would that be Ruth Kelly, member of the religously tolerant sect "opus Dei"?