Home Help Desk
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Why the navigation bar is a bad idea...

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
edited January 2023 in Help Desk
I've noticed that the main page goes down more often than the boards (like right now). The navigation at the top needs info from the main page, and prevents the rest of the page to load for a long time before "giving up". So one needs to wait for a minute or so for a page on the boards to finish loading, when in fact there's nothing wrong with the boards.

Could you either remove the bar or (preferably, if possible) make the boards "give up" loading it sooner if it can't be found?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've noticed that the main page goes down more often than the boards (like right now). The navigation at the top needs info from the main page, and prevents the rest of the page to load for a long time before "giving up". So one needs to wait for a minute or so for a page on the boards to finish loading, when in fact there's nothing wrong with the boards.

Could you either remove the bar or (preferably, if possible) make the boards "give up" loading it sooner if it can't be found?

It only needs information from the main page if you actually click on the links
    the slowness of loading when the main page is down is probly due to the fact that the machines that run thesite are coping at a reduced rate, so while the boards might not go down all the time, they do go slow
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    The problem right now though is because of the navigation bar, and it does need to load from the main page even if you don't click on it.
    How I know? Simple. For each page on the boards, it loads the little "thesite.org" picture and then it gets stuck at "waiting for www.thesite.org.uk" for a minute or two. If during this time I click "reload", the boards appear correctly for a second before disappearing again (to reload).
    And if I click on a link of this type (which loads a single post) it appears right away, since it doesn't try to load the navigation bar.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    vbulletin.thesite.org.uk is the message boards
    thesite.org.uk is the main page

notice the similarities

its waiting for another part of the site to load, the data is coming from somewhere thats crippled, doesnt mean the problem is with the main page, the problem might be something where the main page pulls the data from the same place that the navigation bar does, so removing stuff from main page might not help

Also there tends to be a lot more maintenance on the main page than there is on the boards
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    MrG wrote:
    its waiting for another part of the site to load, the data is coming from somewhere thats crippled, doesnt mean the problem is with the main page, the problem might be something where the main page pulls the data from the same place that the navigation bar does, so removing stuff from main page might not help
    Ok, that may be so. It still is though that as far as I can tell, if the navigation bar didn't exist, the boards would have had no problems today.