Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Thank god I'm not Asian

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Arent you just relieved youre not Asian or Muslim.

Comments

• Options
    sk8er boi wrote:

How do you know I'm not one or the other or both?
  • Options
    sk8er boi wrote:

:yuck:

Bet's you're gone by the morning...
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    :yuck:

Bet's you're gone by the morning...

Maybe he's not trying to offend anyone, maybe the original poster just didn't think his staement doesn't apply to every single user of this site.

Through out history people who weren't white have been through a period of being treated different, for instance the non whites in South Africa or in the USA after slavery (i.e. having to sit on the back of the bus, use different toilets and go to different schools, etc), The Japanese in World War 2, the people in India under British Rule. And there's even a recent example of whites being treated differently in Zimbabwe and being expelled from their farms.

Racism happens in all sorts of places all over the world.

Yes but to answer the original post if you're Asian then in recent times life has become somewhat tougher.

I remember even during the Gulf war seeing white kids in the playground spitting at Asian kids and calling them Iraqi's, when in fact the kids were born in the UK and their parents were from India - which is nowhere near Iraq.

But when the skin colour fits and the features fit most racists don't even bother to actually find out a person's true background.
  • Options
    sk8er boi wrote:

I think you should clarify exactly what you meant - I'm obviously willing to believe you're saying right now it's not pleasant to be Asian or Muslim (especially if you want to fly) - but obviously people could misunderstand what you meant.
  • Options
    sk8er boi wrote:
    ...You're on thin ice there kid. Say something useful.
  • Options
    If I wanted international air travel, then I suppose at the moment yes. Otherwise, it's not really any better or worse than being any other race or religion I guess. As everyone has said, you're on shaky ground here - please clarify your point.
  • Options
    im not racist in any way.

in fact, i only realised this when my asian friends told me im lucky to be white cuz i wont have to worry about being discriminated against.

besides are you guys saying that youd want to change places with an asian lad?

i didnt think so.
  • Options
    What do you mean by Asian?

Indian, Syrian, Chinese, Cambodian, Indonesian?
  • Options
    The op probably means members of islamic or muslim faith.
    While i'll agree that given the present situation i would imagine they are recieving a lot of prejudice, i think the comment by the op is actually part of the reason behind the pre-judging. "they're not like me so they must be terrorists"
  • Options
    sk8er boi wrote:

Yes. Why the hell not...?
    Can I remind you that the UK is not the only country in the world...

Also, being told you were lucky to be white is not a compliment.
  • Options
    Why the hell not? well possibly due to the fact a sizeable part of the populace thinks just cos of hoe you look you're gonna murder them and their children is why not.

UK isn't the only country in the world but being posted by a brit on a brit messageboard, the assumption is that it'll be mainly british people reading this, oddly enough.

Yerascrote - does it really matter what ethnicity it is? the majority of people would not be able to tell the difference between people from the indian subcontinent or the middle east.

It's not great to be asian now, the same way i would imagine it wasn't great to be a young white male with a strong irish accent back when the ira were blowing stuff up.
  • Options
    sk8er boi wrote:
    im not racist in any way.

in fact, i only realised this when my asian friends told me im lucky to be white cuz i wont have to worry about being discriminated against.

i didnt think so.

You might not be rcaist but your command of the English Language isn't exactly spot on.

Maybe your title should have read "I'm thankful not be in the position some Asian people are in at present"

What you actually wrote in your title is offensive to some memebers of this site, some of which wil be Asian so your title does not apply to them now, does it?

You've hardly made very many posts on this site, and one thing you'll find is most regulars go out of their way to not to be offensive to others.
  • Options
    Why the hell not? well possibly due to the fact a sizeable part of the populace thinks just cos of hoe you look you're gonna murder them and their children is why not.

UK isn't the only country in the world but being posted by a brit on a brit messageboard, the assumption is that it'll be mainly british people reading this, oddly enough.

Yerascrote - does it really matter what ethnicity it is? the majority of people would not be able to tell the difference between people from the indian subcontinent or the middle east.

It's not great to be asian now, the same way i would imagine it wasn't great to be a young white male with a strong irish accent back when the ira were blowing stuff up.

Actually there are people here from the US, Malysia, China, Canada, rest of Europe...
    How do you know sk8erboi is a brit? Perhaps you know him?
    Sizeable part of the population doesn't think because you look asian you will murder them and their children. Think about what you are saying.

Of course it matters what ethnicity he meant.
    And of course you can differentiate a hindu from a saudi. If you can't, you don't know much.
    :rolleyes:
  • Options
    You might not be rcaist but your command of the English Language isn't exactly spot on.

:p
  • Options
    yes i'm glad i'm white tall slim male ...definitye advantages.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Rolly! Yer fine, I hope? Where you been, or shouldn't I ask?
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    Actually there are people here from the US, Malysia, China, Canada, rest of Europe...
    How do you know sk8erboi is a brit? Perhaps you know him?
    Sizeable part of the population doesn't think because you look asian you will murder them and their children. Think about what you are saying.

Of course it matters what ethnicity he meant.
    And of course you can differentiate a hindu from a saudi. If you can't, you don't know much.
    :rolleyes:

Yes i know there are people from many countries on the board but it's not a great leap of faith to presume that the majority will be from the UK.

Sizeable part of the population read the Sun and The Daily Mail and belive the garbage spouted in it, enough said really.

And sadly enought here are enough idiots who think just because you look asian, that you might be a terrorist, or at least be wary of you or "your kind" as it were.

I can differentiate between the two, did i say it was impossible? :rolleyes: but a lot of people can't. So no, just going on looks it doesn't matter what ethnicity you are. I've been mistaken for all sorts of bloody nationalities myself, chinese, thai, malasian, japanese, phillipino, and even indian and suchlike when i've gotton really tanned/dark.

Bit like if it was in an asian country and it was white extremists, i doubt the difference of whetehr they were american, scots, russians, germans, etc, would really matter if they were just going on looks.

Don't presume just because you can tell the difference that everyone else can, think about what you are saying ;)
  • Options
    at least we have one man here honest enough to admit to the fact.

asians, muslim cant behave normal anymore, especially in air travel. soon we may get a bomb scare (or worse, again) in the london tube, then well be chucking asians from our public transports. asians cant use their mobile phones while white folks can. asians wont be able to rummage through their bags, while white folks can. not that anyone will coercively enforce this. it will happen through self restraint but still it limits what they can do. just speaking in arabic is even treated with suspicion. even with all the security checks in our airports, airplanes are still being diverted, people are still being made to get off the plane.

would a pilot make two white guys get off the plane if a bunch of asian folks think hes behaving suspiciously? perhaps so, but probably not. i dont think therell be all out segregation (as we know it), because the public is too aware of its history. but it will happen in some form.

and i think those that see malice in what im saying here are reading into their own prejudice and guilt.
  • Options
    sk8er boi wrote:
    at least we have one man here honest enough to admit to the fact.

asians, muslim cant behave normal anymore, especially in air travel. soon we may get a bomb scare (or worse, again) in the london tube, then well be chucking asians from our public transports. asians cant use their mobile phones while white folks can. asians wont be able to rummage through their bags, while white folks can. not that anyone will coercively enforce this. it will happen through self restraint but still it limits what they can do. just speaking in arabic is even treated with suspicion. even with all the security checks in our airports, airplanes are still being diverted, people are still being made to get off the plane.

would a pilot make two white guys get off the plane if a bunch of asian folks think hes behaving suspiciously? perhaps so, but probably not. i dont think therell be all out segregation (as we know it), because the public is too aware of its history. but it will happen in some form.

and i think those that see malice in what im saying here are reading into their own prejudice and guilt.
    Asians tend to like to pull a race card. White folke cant! As much as I hate racists, I hate people from all races acting like the world is against them.

I can see now a future where some asians are going to start using the fact that if they get in trouble with police etc. its going be they are targeted for what happened with the terrorists.

For the record, most Asians go about there daily business acting normal. All my Asian mates act like normal people rather than acting like they cant do anything without being harassed or suspected.
  • Options
    sk8er boi wrote:
    would a pilot make two white guys get off the plane if a bunch of asian folks think hes behaving suspiciously?

Of course the pilot would...god, what a silly remark tbh :rolleyes:
  • Options
    BeckyBoo wrote:
    Of course the pilot would...god, what a silly remark tbh :rolleyes:

on what basis?
  • Options
    sk8er boi wrote:
    'It's not meeee!'

No. We're reading into your prejudice.
  • Options
    I think, to be fair, that the original poster didn't mean the comment as -'aren't muslims horrible, glad I'm not one of them' - which is they way some people have interpreted it; but rather - 'given the way muslims are treated it must be hard to be a muslim at the moment'

So probably best to take a breath and look at the comments in that light - especially since most people seem to be argueing against each other here, from the same point of view.
  • Options
    And for those that are interested - I've changed the thread title, since we do have readers who are Muslim or Asian, and if anyone is interested 85% of the board traffic is from the UK, with about 7% from the US and the rest spread pretty evenly across the world.
  • Options
    it's the internet dude, if you'er looking for good grammar and on the spot spelling you're probably in the wrong place.
  • Options
    hazell wrote:
    on what basis?

on the basis that if the pilot suspected ANYONE of acting suspicious then he's gonna intervene.....I cant see him putting his own life and god knows how many passengers life at risk, can you ?
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    Asians tend to like to pull a race card. White folke can't!
    But we can pull the racist card.
    "you're discriminating against me because of my ethnicity..."
    "yes, yes I am."

nyuk nyuk.
  • Options
    BeckyBoo wrote:
    on the basis that if the pilot suspected ANYONE of acting suspicious then he's gonna intervene.....I cant see him putting his own life and god knows how many passengers life at risk, can you ?

well it was the passengers who thought they were acting suspicious and we all know people arent idiots.
  • Options
    hazell wrote:
    well it was the passengers who thought they were acting suspicious and we all know people arent idiots.
    Well clearly they are in this case.
  • Options
    exactly