Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Enjoying a mellower approach to drugs

13»

Comments

  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    surely you knew that posting a thread like this was going to bring up opposing views? If you didnt want to hear people with strong opinions against yours, then you should have just taken the drugs and not bothered to bring it up in here.

    (btw.. Im not on one side or the other, just making an observation before everybody gets all riled up)
    Exactly but drug users well these ones anyway, can't handle someone not agreeing.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,287 Skive's The Limit
    Marmite wrote:
    The majority of street crime is drug related, is that good to you?

    And a very large proportion of violent crime and domestic violence is drink related.

    It's all about responsibilty. You can be a good parent without being T-Total, you just need to be responsible and moderate in how much you drink, and whether you like it or not the same can be said for drugs. A couple of lines of coke or a few pills everynow and again at dinner parties is hardly going to get in financial problems or locked up.

    Do I want my kids growing up to be users? When they're old enough it'll be up to them to make an informed decision. I just hope that the enviroment for taking drugs is a lot safer for them then it is right now. As long as theses outdated and seriously silly laws are enforced by ob such as yourself, drugs will be more dangerous than they need really to be.

    I think it's severely narrowminded to thing that drugs use automatically makes you a bad parent, CoT is aware of his drug use, he's doing something about it - that show responsiblity.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Tweety wrote:
    Exactly but drug users well these ones anyway, can't handle someone not agreeing.

    No, they just don't tolerate judgemental arseholes and idiots.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Addict wrote:
    No, they just don't tolerate judgemental arseholes and idiots.
    People didn't like what i said an i wasn't being judgemental, just stating my view on it all.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,287 Skive's The Limit
    Tweety wrote:
    an i wasn't being judgemental,

    You wern't but your other half seems to have made up his mind already i.e parents who use drugs equate to bad parents.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote:
    You wern't but your other half seems to have made up his mind already i.e parents who use drugs equate to bad parents.

    But thats his view and hes intitled to it isn't he?
    Mine and his views don't match alot of the time but i respect that it's his view.
    Not quite sure why people can't accept that.
    Even on this we don't agree entirely, but it doesn't matter.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,287 Skive's The Limit
    You keep bangin on about the fact your entiltled to you views, yet nobody has said your not???
    Tweety wrote:
    Not quite sure why people can't accept that.

    What you have to accept is that if you put you views up on a public discussion board expect people to disagree with them, and possibly label them as stupid.
    OK you've had some insults thrown at you here, but you've both expressed opinions that have almost certainly offended others.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote:
    You keep bangin on about the fact your entiltled to you views, yet nobody has said your not???



    What you have to accept is that if you put you views up on a public discussion board expect people to disagree with them, and possibly label them as stupid.
    OK you've had some insults thrown at you here, but you've both expressed opinions that have almost certainly offended others.

    By throwing insults, thats what makes me think i am not intitled to my view.
    Sure disagree with me, but leave it at that.
    I consider what some people have said on here stupid, very stupid but i don't feel the need to throw insults at them.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Marmite wrote:
    This is an open forum, as such it's a place for people wth differing opinions to express them. If you can't handle someone having a difference of opinion, I suggest it is you who should stop posting.

    Sorry, get down to earth? Right open the prisons, let the pedo's, murderers and rapists go! It is 2006 and not 1906 after all :rolleyes:

    Muppet:wave:


    Get down to earth? Since when did that mean peodophilia and killing was right?

    Look right yeah, the law is there for a reason and has good reasoning in simple terms i.e getting life for murder etc. Laws from a moral standpoint I'm sure most people on here will back 100%.

    Everyone is entitled to their own opionon. Though you come across as if every drug user irresponsible, bad parents etc and like someone said always the "worst case scenario" and the "stereotypical" view of people who use drugs. This I disagree with, this is not an opinion, this is your take on everything. Which if going by FACT is WRONG. You get me? You come on a drugs forum slating people who use drugs, which is getting you nowhere.

    Not being funny but you sound like an old product of government propaganda and to be honest it's boring. Stick around and see what you learn.

    Come on here with a totally open mind and see what you think, thats what we're here for? Take in what other people have to say and think about it, there's some interesting people on here.

    *Sorry if it doesn't make sense much I've had no sleep.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,287 Skive's The Limit
    Tweety wrote:
    By throwing insults, thats what makes me think i am not intitled to my view.
    Sure disagree with me, but leave it at that.
    I consider what some people have said on here stupid, very stupid but i don't feel the need to throw insults at them.

    Some people have been offended by some of your's and Marmites opinions. There's a implication that parents who use drugs are bad parents and that drug users don't deserve any respect. That's offensive, judgemental and narrowminded.
    If you post those sort of opinions on a drugs board don't expect happy responses.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote:
    Some people have been offended by some of your's and Marmites opinions. There's a implication that parents who use drugs are bad parents and that drug users arn't worthy of respect. That's offensive, judgemental and narrowminded.
    If you post those sort of opinions on a drugs board don't expect happy responses.

    True.



    Would you go into a wine forum and start labelling them all alcoholics that aren't worthy of respect and are bad parents?

    I dont think so.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Not once have I said that they're bad parents! I take a hard line, yes that's true but it's understandable. I've said it's something I deem irresponsible and stupid. So why are people getting so irate, after all who gives a toss what I think?!

    Alot of people have clearly different views on drug use, fine, but to resort to insults over it is ridiculous. If a few words on a forum can get people so steamed up they want to smack somebody, then surely they should seek some professional help!

    I see drugs like drink tbh, there's a shedload of drink related problems out there, why add to it with drugs? You hear all these horror stories of parents doing stupid things whilst drinking, why add to it with drugs?

    I just don't think it's fair on the kids, is that so wrong? Being slated for being protective, that's absolutely ridiculous.

    Cheeseontoast stated himself he'd been to the depths with it all, what's to stop it happening again? He even said a relationship breakdown would be dire and from what he said it seemed to me that his drug use could cause that.

    Is it such a terrible thing to say, oi knock it off, it could end up with some horrid consequences for your family, not just yourself.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote:
    Some people have been offended by some of your's and Marmites opinions. There's a implication that parents who use drugs are bad parents and that drug users don't deserve any respect. That's offensive, judgemental and narrowminded.
    If you post those sort of opinions on a drugs board don't expect happy responses.

    Happy no, maybe a bit of reasoning tho and it's pathetic to just start throwing insults.

    I have a personnel view that it's not good for a parent to take illegal substances, so? If somebody breaks the law, why on earth are they going to give a stuff what I think?

    Somebody doesn't deserve respect on the merit that they use drugs, no. They can still earn it on other things. However from all the insults and childish behaviour i've unfairly generalised, I am truely sorry. The drug users who have posted silly insults on this board are not worthy of respect in this matter. Not drug users aren't worthy of respect full stop.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,287 Skive's The Limit
    You have said that drug users are 'irresponsible', 'not respectable' or 'worthy of your respect' and implies that parental drug use is bad parenting . And throughout this thread you've given examples of worse case scenario's and refused to accept that drugs can be used responsibly.

    Most of the drug users here know that drugs can be used responsibly in moderation, and that's why they're biting back.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote:
    You have said that drug users are 'irresponsible', 'not respectable' or 'worthy of your respect' and implies that parental drug use is bad parenting . And throughout this thread you've given examples of worse case scenario's and refused to accept that drugs can be used responsibly.

    Most of the drug users here know that drugs can be used responsibly in moderation, and that's why they're biting back.

    Like I said, and I apologise, I've generalised and taken a eyes closed approach as a result of insult hurling. When somebody such as yourself puts thing more reasonably then I will put things more reasonably.

    The majority of drug users i've met have been unworthy of my respect, as such i've let that coupled with the general insults here tarr my words. Yes there are cases where drugs have been used responsibly, i'll freely say that and yes i've used worst case scenario's, but to completely dismiss them is wrong. Drug use is on the rise and so are the horror effects.

    I stand by the fact that there may be responsible drug using parents out there, but there are some damned bad ones and it would be better to lead a better example.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Skive wrote:
    Some people have been offended by some of your's and Marmites opinions. There's a implication that parents who use drugs are bad parents and that drug users don't deserve any respect. That's offensive, judgemental and narrowminded.
    If you post those sort of opinions on a drugs board don't expect happy responses.

    I didn't say anything about drug users not deserving respect. I would alsp be greatful if you didn't put mine and Marmites views in the same box as they are not the same.Ta
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What on earth is wrong with some of you?

    Do you need LadyJade to be here to police your comments?

    I think this is the good reason why we dont get many anti-drug people in the drugs section. There are thousands of good reasons and debating points, but calling someone an arsehole is not one of them.

    Marmite; I think you are confusing recreational use with abuse of hard drugs, they are seperate issues with very different risks. However, I will agree that when purchasing drugs users are funding crime, which is one of the main reasons why it should be legalised.

    As for parents and drug use, abusing any drug (be it anything from caffiene upwards) in front of your kid sets a really bad example.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    budda wrote:
    Marmite; I think you are confusing recreational use with abuse of hard drugs, they are seperate issues with very different risks. However, I will agree that when purchasing drugs users are funding crime, which is one of the main reasons why it should be legalised.

    No I don't think he's confusing it. I think he actually believes recreational drug use is hard drug abuse. It's very hard to explain to someone who's never taken a pill before that every now and again, when the son's away at their grandparents and you have the night to yourself, that taking one pill does the minimalist of damage to your body, others around you, your pocket and organised crime which as you said is just another reason to legalise them. He's even said he busts his ass off every week to provide for the family so why not let him unwind now and again?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,287 Skive's The Limit
    Tweety wrote:
    I didn't say anything about drug users not deserving respect. I would alsp be greatful if you didn't put mine and Marmites views in the same box as they are not the same.Ta

    Sorry.


    With regards to the original subject, I think CoT is being responsible. The very fact that he's well aware of his drug use show maturity and responsibility. I accept that parental drug abuse is a seriously worrying matter, but in this case that's not what it is.

    Apart from the weekend just gone, I havn't been taking anywhere near the amount of drugs I used to. I knocked weed on the head almost 2 years ago, I've only taken pills on a handful of occasions in that time aswell, and I've never really enjoyed speed or cocaine. When I hopefully become a parent I may have knocked everything on the head altogether but you won't ever find me saying 'I'll never take such and such again', because I don't want to commit myself, I'll take something if I think I'll enjoy it.

    What I hope my experiences with drugs will do is help me educate and inform any future little skivers better then I was. I've had to teach myself over the years and although I've never had any problems (touch wood) I've done some pretty stupid things simply because I didn't know any better.

    You and Marmite are right in that I wouldn't be too keen on my kids taking drugs - at least before they're old enough to make that decision for themselves anyway.

    You won't find me encouraging people to do drug but you won't find me telling others not to try them. I don't regret trying anything save for maybe tobacco, and I've had some of the most rewarding experiences I've ever had whilst using drugs.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,287 Skive's The Limit
    Yerascrote wrote:
    No I don't think he's confusing it. I think he actually believes recreational drug use is hard drug abuse.

    Marmite knows the deal mate, he's sound - for a copper. :p

    As he said the fact that we in here were so quick to defend ourselves with Tweety didn't help and as Budda says we don't often help our argument. I suppose people just get passionate about the subject. :D
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    budda wrote:
    What on earth is wrong with some of you?

    Do you need LadyJade to be here to police your comments?

    I think this is the good reason why we dont get many anti-drug people in the drugs section. There are thousands of good reasons and debating points, but calling someone an arsehole is not one of them.

    We're not here to be a welcome party for anti-drugs people into the drugs forum. If I feel someone is being a judgemental arsehole, whatever their opinion on drugs, I'm not going to bite my tongue and keep quiet. Just because they're anti-drugs I'm not going to welcome them with open arms.

    If anti-drugs people want to come in and make a valid point that's totally sound, but when people come in saying things like drug users don't deserve respect they can fuck right off.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,287 Skive's The Limit
    Addict wrote:
    when people come in saying things like drug users don't deserve respect they can fuck right off.

    He's apologised for that and admitted he was a bit hasty, and given a valid reason - maybe we were a bit unreasonable too?

    http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showpost.php?p=1783612&postcount=78
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Maybe some of my comments were a bit out of place but one thing I will not have judged is my parenting.

    And as I said back to my original point, I didn't ask for anyones opinion on whether or not I was a bad parent...

    For further info. Before my girlfriend got pregnant and we had the kid I was doing 10-20 pills on the weekend + speed + half ounce of weed on the weekend (plus another 1/4 - 1/2 oz through the week) I also smoked 40 cigarettes a day and drank at least 2-4 pints a night on top of it all.

    I also used to binge drink and take drugs on the weekends.

    Since then, granted I didn't stop it all at once, I have managed to not do any class A's for over a year, I don't smoke weed now apart from once say every 3-6 months when I am staying at a mates house or something, I quit smoking cigarettes, and I go through phases with drinking either not at all for ages or 1-2 cans at home to relax in the evening.

    I have worked damn hard to get to where I wanted to be in the sense that I felt in control and doing drugs to relax and for a laugh not to escape problems, get wasted and generally be a fuck head.

    Oh well!

    Thanks for all the nice words some people have said about me anyway, much appreciated.

    Tweety - I would NEVER go back to abusing things the way I used too - What I actually said was is that is what scares me! That is why I didn't take anything for so long because I didn't think there was such a thing as enjoying something in moderation etc... Now I am learning that I can, as long as I keep things in check.

    After all, how could I possibly do anything to jepordise this (see attachment)
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yerascrote wrote:
    No I don't think he's confusing it. I think he actually believes recreational drug use is hard drug abuse. It's very hard to explain to someone who's never taken a pill before that every now and again, when the son's away at their grandparents and you have the night to yourself, that taking one pill does the minimalist of damage to your body, others around you, your pocket and organised crime which as you said is just another reason to legalise them. He's even said he busts his ass off every week to provide for the family so why not let him unwind now and again?

    And you cant explain that without insulting him?

    We will only ever get proper change on the issue of drugs when drug users actually act like adults, explain their position properly and act at least vaugely responsibly.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    .
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    budda wrote:
    And you cant explain that without insulting him?

    We will only ever get proper change on the issue of drugs when drug users actually act like adults, explain their position properly and act at least vaugely responsibly.

    I never insulted him once.

    Hold on, for the first few pages I laid out our side of the argument responsibly. It was him that came in and came out with this:
    Marmite wrote:
    Can't see much responsibility in here!

    If an opinion is not harmful, eg insulting, harmful etc, then repect it. Well that's the responsible approach.

    From my limited experience of life i'd say drugs are a big no no. Mind you I say that by and large to drink also.

    Parenting is a responsible and rewarding part of life, who in their right mind would want to throw it all away?

    Forget the whole drug debate, can't be arsed with it and it's irrelevent anyways.

    The fact of the matter is by meddling in illegal substances you are comitting a crime and by comitting a crime you risk fines and custodial sentences. Plus you are throwing money away.


    "mummy, why can't I have a bike, birthday party, go to uni etc...."

    "because daddy has snorted it all up his nose, spent it on fines, bail etc...."

    There's also


    "mummy, where's daddy? he never spends any time with us"

    "in prison, doing community service, down the police station....again, out thieving to feed his habit etc..."


    Oh and the extreme


    "mummy, where's daddy now?"

    "he's dead dear, he had a bad batch, ran a foul of the mob, overdosed etc..."



    So no, drugs and parenting do not mix, in my humble opinion. After all I only have the law and social services on my side.....oh and of course society who spawned them.


    If you want to ruin your own life, do it. But leave everybody else out!

    What do you expect us to do? Sit back and accept this wthout any sense of anger?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    and heres me been in charge of a three year old for the last two days ...it's shocking!
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    When the cats away eh?

    Thanks bong - as stated remember that this is a debate board and people are allowed to hold any viewpoint they deem fit. I'm sorry but someone posting a viewpoint that is opposed to your own doesn't justify insults.

    Naturally the issue of parenting was bound to provoke an initial reaction but now that's past I'd expect to see people respond with a little more reason and a little less fuckwittedness.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yerascrote wrote:
    I never insulted him once.

    Hold on, for the first few pages I laid out our side of the argument responsibly. It was him that came in and came out with this:



    What do you expect us to do? Sit back and accept this wthout any sense of anger?

    I totally agree, that post does completely miss the point, seems deeply childish and intended to provoke a reaction.

    Maybe we just come at things differently, because that doesnt make me angry, I'm far more liable to just roll my eyes.
Sign In or Register to comment.