Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Copycatting

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Lol, no I'm not. :lol: I'm simply venting frustrations of something I've bought specifically different from the masses, and the fact that someone I know has decided to do the same. :grump:

Reminded me of a t-shirt I saw not too long ago. :razz: ;)

though I couldn't find it online so I had to recreate.
    Well that's what I'm thinking haha. They're my trademark, so I'll be dead annoyed if she looks better in them than I do. :sour:
    What item was it? Not that I'm about to copy you...
    Lol, no I'm not. :lol: I'm simply venting frustrations of something I've bought specifically different from the masses, and the fact that someone I know has decided to do the same. :grump:
    unless you buy it tailor made though or make it yourself, thats gonna happen sometimes. maybe someone saw it and liked it as much as you did, or maybe they even had it first?
    unless you buy it tailor made though or make it yourself, thats gonna happen sometimes. maybe someone saw it and liked it as much as you did, or maybe they even had it first?

yeh the thing with "copycatting" is that its not really copycatting. For example, there could be something my friend just bought that i like, but i'd of liked it anyway if i had seen it elsewhere rather than on her- like in a magazine or in a shop.

Obviously its copycatting if the only reason she went to the effort of getting it, is to copy you, when shes doesnt actually like it, but why would she go to all the effort if she didnt like it?
    It used to when I was younger but not now. Me and my mates even sometimes go out and buy the same tops on purpose. Bit wierd! :shocking:
    no 'cause i'm always gonna look better in it. ;)
    haha same.

that happened with my housemate. she saw my new waisted belt (this was back in february) the day i bought it and asked where it was from. then the next day she went and bought it herself. i wasn't happy because shes loaded, whereas i was poor and so it would be the only new item i had for a while. then we all went out for dinner and she wore it with an identical outfit. i just had to think 'well you probably look beter in it so nevermind'.

mostly i don't mind though.
    Am I the only person who truly hates it when you buy something (fashion wise) and then someone you know buys the same thing after seeing yours?

I can't cope with it, I get so so territorial about my style, because I'm proud of it. I hate people copying me.

Is anyone else like that?

Nope. Nobody copies my clothes though... they find it amusing when I compare their jeans to loaves of bread or tanks of petrol. I spend little money on clothes as I get more pleasure from riding my bike or listening to music - the money I save on clothes is well used on the things that are important to me. If a friend wanted the same bike or amplifier as me, I'd not have a problem with that. I'd actively encourage it - nothing wrong with other people wanting quality gear :).
    Mr M had an admirer who I see at school. And she kept copying me. It got to the point where it really was beyond a coincidence. If I coloured my hair, within a week she had hers the same. And she was always trying to dress like me. We had a joke that I would start going to school wearing a rainbow coloured afro fright wig, and see what she does then. Haha.
    It only pisses me off when my sister does it. What a cowbag.

So. Imagine how it feels when it's your nearly 70 year old Mother in Law. :no: :rolleyes: :impissed:
    my_name wrote:
    As long as you don't call eachother the night before asking what you should wear the next day so you can be twinsies, then its all good.

:yes:

i dont mind pppl buying the clothes i wear because the chances of us wearing it on the same day is very slim, and loads of ppl willhave it aswell it doesnt matter weather you know them or not, and vice versa, i will buy a top a friend has got if i like it
    You still didn't tell us what it was that was so unique that she copied...
    Am I the only person who truly hates it when you buy something (fashion wise) and then someone you know buys the same thing after seeing yours?

I can't cope with it, I get so so territorial about my style, because I'm proud of it. I hate people copying me.

Is anyone else like that?

All my favourite clothes are the ones I got hand made for me on holiday so there's no chance of that ever happening. And all the clothe I hand picked after visiting numerous textile shops.
    Oh god I hate that! I bought this black/white scarf. When my friend sees the scarf she goes of and buys the exact same one. She then wears it to school the next day and when I tell everyone that I have one of those they stare at me and go "Oh my god, you're such a copycat!" :banghead:
    How old is everyone at your school? 13?
    my_name wrote:
    How old is everyone at your school? 13?
    If you meant me then, I meant the ppl in my class, and yes they are 13 :blush:
    Not really, my style is so damn eclectic that even if someone bought the exact same thing I bought they'd probably wear it with a totally different combination of garments & accessories. Throw in the fact that there would be differences in bodyshape/hairstyle & colour/general demeanour, & the odds are we wouldn't look that alike.

Plus I know I look much better in it than they do anyway. :thumb:
    What about if it's an item you had to have shipped from another country, or that took you weeks to get hold of?
    Depends. If I'd imported it specially & they got it cheap somewhere, I'd be pissed - but at myself for not price-checking thoroughly enough, rather than at them for the high crime of DARING to have the same taste in clothes as me.

As for the other person, I'd probably make friends - if someone liked the same brands as me to the point that they went to the trouble of importing the clothes we would obviously have at least a few things in common (though that would depend on the brand really & whether there was any style subculture associated with it). Plus if we planned ahead we could get discounted shipping from ordering together. :thumb:
    I'm so relieved, got a message from the person who wanted the same item that I've got, and she said she tried it on and it doesn't suit her :hyper:

Yes, I'm evil, but I don't care :D
    I'm so relieved, got a message from the person who wanted the same item that I've got, and she said she tried it on and it doesn't suit her :hyper:

Yes, I'm evil, but I don't care :D
    Everyone's evil when it comes to clothes, girls just might be a bit more than guys :p
    yeah it pisses me off to the fullest.

about two years ago i bought a jacket from London. it was black, normal length with red/yellow stripes/featuring down arms, collar and waist, and everyone i knew complimented me on it.

about two months later i see absolutely loads of imitations of it, everywhere i go, so then i'm just one of those plebs with one of those jackets. :yuck:

I'm like 'ffs i was cool way before you chumps! bastards!!' :mad:
    i'm a bloke btw, it pisses us off too