Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Copycatting

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Am I the only person who truly hates it when you buy something (fashion wise) and then someone you know buys the same thing after seeing yours?

I can't cope with it, I get so so territorial about my style, because I'm proud of it. I hate people copying me.

Is anyone else like that?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Nope.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
    Not really, though I can imagine being annoyed if it's something really special (though I haven't had that happening).
    That said the people whose style most resembles my own, I only see 3 times a year, and my English friends adore the high-street stores, which I truly find disappointing.
    No. I bought the coolest shoes ever that a friend and I were looking at last year. So I went half and got them for her birthday also. We were both cool then. As long as you don't call eachother the night before asking what you should wear the next day so you can be twinsies, then its all good.

Besides, clothes sell in bulk. Theres bound to be somebody, friend foe or neutral who wears the same exact thing as you. Its alright. You should think, hey, maybe I'm not as blind and ugly as I think... somebody else wears it too ;)
    no, not really. they obviously like your style so be flattered! its not that likely you'll be wearing the same thing at the same time anyway.
    no it doesnt bother me, i'll happily tell them where i got it from so they can get one. as long as we dont wear the same thing at the same time it doesnt matter
    doesnt bother me in the slightest. Its up to my friends what they wear/buy, and if thats the same as something ive worn then who am i to get annoyed with them, i didnt design it or make it.

It would only annoy me if someone copied my entire wardrobe, because then we'd look like twins.

I would be flattered if a friend tried to look like me. But i would be worried about them if they were trying to be me because they're insecure in themselves, and probably have a quiet word.
    I don't mind wearing something that someone else is wearing it's not like I've done it to copy them.
    It only pisses me off when my sister does it. What a cowbag.
    im the same as you ilora, i hate it when people buy the same stuff as me because i like to dress as originally as possible.
    I do not find it a problem really. Unless you make your own clothes or have them made for you, someone out there will be wearing it.
    It only pisses me off when my sister does it. What a cowbag.

I don't like that either. But thats usually because she'll end up taking mine and then try to pass off thta it is hers when I quite clearly know that its mine :p
    icey wrote:
    im the same as you ilora, i hate it when people buy the same stuff as me because i like to dress as originally as possible.

The combination of clothes you wear can be original, but the items themselves cannot be. I really do not like it when people try SO hard to be 'original' just be yourself, so what if someone else is wearing the same top.
    my_name wrote:
    I don't like that either. But thats usually because she'll end up taking mine and then try to pass off thta it is hers when I quite clearly know that its mine :p
    The worst is when I buy something at uni, and come home to find that she's bought the same thing as me. She has so many clothes, she should let me have the things that actually look nice on me!
    cowbag.
    :o

Stealing my word, how dare you.
    no 'cause i'm always gonna look better in it. ;)
    Glittery wrote:

Its a good word, I"ll go steal it too ;)
    Can't say I'd be bothered. If I was that concerned about my personal style, I'd make my own clothes.
    I don't think it'd bother me, though my friends and I tend to have completely different ideas of what looks good anyway so it's unlikely to be an issue between us. I reckon it'd be very hard to copy my "style" (ha) anyway since I shop pretty much entirely in charity shops these days -- they'd have to be a super-sleuth.

On a barely-related note, I lived with a girl in my first year at uni who used to steal my clothes though, and that pissed me off hugely since she'd appear on nights out in my stuff and the like. Bloody brass neck on that one. I shouldn't mention that though as I remember mentioning it on here once before though and getting a pasting because she apparently did it because of "low self-esteem" etc, ha ha :p
    I don't mind it if I buy something then my mate buys it too.

What REALLY gets my goat is when I mention that I like something and that I'm going to buy it - and then my best mate jumps in there before me. Even though she knows I'm going to buy it... it's like GRR.
    Glittery wrote:

It's because I love you that I copy what you say.
    It's because I love you that I copy what you say.
    So you're copycatting me? Im offended :mad:

:p
    it doesn't tend to happen with my friends so i can't say. My friends are more gothic but i just buy whatever i feel like buying/wearing.

A few years ago i had a friend who kept copying my style, but she was buying everything the same or similar. That got annoying, so i changed my style in the end cause i got bored. If its just the odd item then i don't care. Loads of other people buy them so why can't my friends?
    The worst is when I buy something at uni, and come home to find that she's bought the same thing as me.
    That often used to happen with me and my sister too (she's older).
    What about if it's an item you had to have shipped from another country, or that took you weeks to get hold of?
    I'm not sad enough to do things like that, so the situation wouldn't occur.

And Glittery, I am copycatting you. It's because you are fab.

ETA - Ilora, are you trying to tell us (again) that you spend a lot of money on clothes and other fashion items?
    \
    What about if it's an item you had to have shipped from another country, or that took you weeks to get hold of?
    And your friend got it down the market? That would make me laugh not get angry.
    I think id probably feel a bit flattered actually.
    Im not particularly territorial about my style. Ive got better things to worry about, and thats with not even having that much to worry about in the first place!
    ETA - Ilora, are you trying to tell us (again) that you spend a lot of money on clothes and other fashion items?
    Lol, no I'm not. :lol: I'm simply venting frustrations of something I've bought specifically different from the masses, and the fact that someone I know has decided to do the same. :grump:
    Well that's what I'm thinking haha. They're my trademark, so I'll be dead annoyed if she looks better in them than I do. :sour: