Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

how much stuff to take to uni!?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
i know about plates and cutlery i got that sorted out (i think!) i'm just tryin to be organised and writing a list of outfits i wanna take and all my shoooes and i've tried to keep everything simple... probably find out i wont have enough clothes... i dont wanna keep gettin my folks to drive up with stuff lol!

i read somewhere on here that people didnt bother with hifis? surely u can live without music!?!

xfayex
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Play music on your computer, if you're in halls you prop won't have space anyway.
  • Options
    i run everything techincally off my laptop. freeview, dvds, music. saves a tv and all that shizzle. you seriously probably wont need all the random niknaks you think you will. i took so much shit with me. i now find it ridiculous.
  • Options
    I took a 24" TV, VCR, DVD Player, Freeview box, games console, desktop PC and portable stereo. In my first year I had a small room, but I could fit it all in (needed lots of extensions leads). Second and third years I had huge rooms though. In my experience, things like laundry take up a lot more room than electronics.
  • Options
    i find that about 2 weeks worth of clothes is sufficient. A variety of going out clothes that can be mixed and matched to look different. You can rotate batches of clothes when you visit home, its like having a new wardrobe every few months!

Something i couldnt have lived without is a clothes rack (from argos) and a fan heater (also from argos). The heating in our halls was a *disgrace* and if i hadnt had that heater i may have got frostbite! It was also useful for airing clothes.

A few photos of friends/family from home

Music system was important to me because i wouldnt have heard music from my laptop speakers over the top of other peoples hideously loud music playing.

Multiplug.

Tv.

Computer/laptop and printer (our uni library was always maxed out)

A reliable alarm clock.

Toiletries (obviously). Ear plugs. Some multi purpose wipes! Washing powder+fabric conditioner, toilet rolls (although stuff like this can be bought when you get there, people often go on fun group trips to the supermarket, woo!)

Slippers (uni halls floors are usually un-nice). Towels, robe

Alcohol.

Bed linen+comfy snug blanket+cushions are always appreciated for dorm get togethers/dvd watching etc.

Folders, subject dividers, plastic wallets, pens, printing paper, notebooks. Get organised early on into your lectures, or your notes will soon get out of hand and you'll be scrambling to find the notes you've lost/muddled when you have an assignment due the next day. Blank cds, memory stick (for saving work)
  • Options
    no more than you can fit in your car :p

take into account that while at uni your "stuff" will breed, and you will somehow end up with twice as much as you took with you :D

everything blah mentioned is good, although I wouldn't take a sound system in addition to a PC / laptop, using better speakers or a good set of earphones will be more compact :)
  • Options
    haha thanks everyone, i completely forget my laptop plays music and dvds, as long as my halls has a tv somewhere i prob wont bother with mine. ear plugs sound like a good investment too... hehe for nights i actually want to sleep...

xfayex
  • Options
    Posters, pins and blutack. There won't be any.

A good bottle opener, a tin opener and a decent pair of kitchen scissors.

I've got a big cushion/pillow thing I couldn't live without, with no sofa you use your bed instead and it makes sucha difference. You may want to think about getting some speakers for your laptop, saves knackering tyhe ones on your laptop which probably aren't that good anyway.

EXTENSION LEADS. Work out how many plug sockets you are going to need, and get enough sockets on your extension leads for all of them. Most student rooms seem to have one double socket. Bizarrely mine has 3 single ones...
  • Options
    FayeNewman wrote:
    i know about plates and cutlery i got that sorted out (i think!) i'm just tryin to be organised and writing a list of outfits i wanna take and all my shoooes and i've tried to keep everything simple... probably find out i wont have enough clothes... i dont wanna keep gettin my folks to drive up with stuff lol!

i read somewhere on here that people didnt bother with hifis? surely u can live without music!?!
    I should think you'd be able to take all your clothes? Unless you're a total clothes-horse. You should get a decent wardrobe in your room, & even if you can't fit all your clothes in there, you can get clothes rails for the excess. You can also get space saving hangers - I have a load from Wilkinsons which are clippy hangers for holding trousers/skirts, but with 4 rows of clips on the same hanger. Shoes - you can probably leave at least some of those behind, but as a space saving tip - keep them in boxes, then you can stack them at the bottom of the wardrobe. I would think it'd make more sense to take more clothes with you to uni & leave some behind, seeing as you'll be spending more time there. *shrug*

A lot of people have iPods with speaker docks nowadays so they can use those instead.

I'm taking all my stuff myself. But then that's cos I don't have anywhere else (mature student, so can't just leave stuff in bedroom at parents' house) so I have to take all my worldly goods with me.
  • Options
    thanks, yeah unfortunately i wont fit all my clothes in my car if im taking my other stuff lol, so i've limited myself to about 2weeks worth of clothes..i guess i can buy more if i find its not enough... lol im a bit of a shopaholic which will have to slow down a little if i wanna buy food this year...

i hope i find out what halls i'm in soon, then i'll see how much space i got to fill with my junk haha.

xfayex