Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

1st Driving Lesson

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Got my first driving lesson tomorrow. Getting a bit nervous now.

Tips? What did you do? Anything I should expect?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Listen to what the instructor says, and if you don't understand something ask them to repeat it.
    Listen to what the instructor says, and if you don't understand something ask them to repeat it.

:yes: Relax as well.
    The first lesson is pretty tame, I think you only drive up a road in first gear. They drive somewhere, switch seats, show you the 'cockpit' as they like to call it and get you to do some basic stuff.
    Captain wrote:
    Anything I should expect?

Usually some driving. :p

Sorry, had to. :p
    first driving lesson? dont wqorry about it your instructort wont expect you to be perfect ro anything, like others ahve said just listen to what they have to say and you'll be fine
    My first lesson was learning to change gears, stop the car, which mirrors to check and when, and by the end of the lesson I was able to drive at least part of the way home. The worst part was on my second test when I drove through a huge puddle at about 50mph, which went all over the windscreen. We hadn't done windscreen wipers yet. :grump:
    Sofie wrote:
    :yes: Relax as well.

definately... relax, stay calm, breathe :)
    It's only a lesson. :rolleyes:

You're there to learn. He's certainly taught worst.

I passed mine a few weeks ago.
    Captain wrote:
    Anything I should expect?

To stall the car :D Don't be embarrased by it though, it's fun (not necessarily good, but hey, my mum still stalls on a frequent basis and she's been driving since the dinosaurs)

:yes:

My first lesson invloved showing my biting point, driving in first gear up my road, stopping. Showing me mirrors, gears etc and then driving back in wait for it, second gear.
    You're there to learn. He's certainly taught worst.
    If you get the same instructor I had then they would definately have taught worse... I was TERRIBLE at learning to drive.

First lesson should be pretty straight forwards - they shouldn't push you into doing anything you don't feel comfortable with.
    was like that myself the very first time, the best thing is to stay cool dont be worried as there nothing to be worried about, the instructor will teach all u needa know and with in months u will be driving a wee car ;);) hope it makes u feel btter..
    i used to really look forward to driving lessons :hyper:

then again, i had a lovely instructor, he was really patient and explained things well, and always praised me when i did things well. Always had a giggle with mine too :D

I think its important to have an instructor who makes you feel comfortable