Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Mouse in the the House

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
There is a freaking mouse (or meeces) in my kitchen this very minute. We've got had them for months and we'd finally thought we'd got rid of them until last night when I thought there was something in the kitchen which turned out to be a mouse attempting to eat a beer can. It was so loud I thought it was a rat!

Anyway, I don't know what to do. We keep the house clean but there is always going to be a bin and some teeny weeny bits of food. The pest control people have been time and time again and I'm at the end of my tether. The pest control guy said that the most they could do was leave chemical traps (which have led to nothing because people in my building (all the flats are connected) leave shit all over the place. We've bunged up all the holes etc and I don't know what to do.

I want to go into the kitchen for an ice-cream and although I'm not standing on the table screaming and shouting I don't like how quick and darty they are and don't want to go in there.

I've just spent ten minutes standing in the doorway with a coat hanger shouting "FUCK OFF YOU FUCKING RODENTS!"

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ask kermit if you can borrow his cat for a bit, or failing that any other friends you know that have a cat.

The kitty will no dount relish in the oppertunity, and is often the most easy/cost effective way of getting rid of the little blighters.
    yeh get a cat, ours plays with and eats mice on the regs.
    MrG wrote:
    The kitty will no dount relish in the oppertunity, and is often the most easy/cost effective way of getting rid of the little blighters.

That's a very good idea. :) I'd imagine it's all the rubbish that your neighbours are leaving lying about that's atrracting them in the first place, then making their way to yours for those biscuits you bought for that good film on telly saturday night :D

Plus, if you get a cat, you can make endless Slocombesque comments about your pussy ! :D
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Or traps. You can get some humane mouse traps if you don't want to kill them off.
  • PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
    Hey, I posted on this a few months back actually as we had a similar problem in my old house and the only thing that worked was plugging in those high pitched noises which scare them off, they can't stand the noise (humans can't hear them) Could be worth a try! (and it means no dead mice or having to let them out).

See here: http://www.cuttingedgeconsumerproducts.co.uk/4_in_1_Pest.php

http://www.petfoodstore.co.uk/acatalog/Pest_Control.html

I got mine for £20 from a hardware shop though...

Good luck!
    I'd get a cat if my landlord would allow it and I wasn't allergic. My mate brought her ferret around this evening but she ran away from it scared......

The high pitched noise things only work for a little while then they become accustomed to it.

And as for humane traps...to be honest. I'd rather they were dead, no offence to the little mices but I am sick of them coming back.

I bought a snapper trap today but it's a really complicated one and I managed to snap my finger in it...and it bled. So at least I know should I work out how to use it it should work.

They somehow manage to avoid all the traps all over the place.....fucking clever blighters...grr
    :lol: and i was just about to suggest a ferret!!

try a different ferret, ooo borrow my ferret she'd love it. And she can fit into those pesky holes!!
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I'd get a cat if my landlord would allow it and I wasn't allergic. My mate brought her ferret around this evening but she ran away from it scared......

The high pitched noise things only work for a little while then they become accustomed to it.

And as for humane traps...to be honest. I'd rather they were dead, no offence to the little mices but I am sick of them coming back.

I bought a snapper trap today but it's a really complicated one and I managed to snap my finger in it...and it bled. So at least I know should I work out how to use it it should work.

They somehow manage to avoid all the traps all over the place.....fucking clever blighters...grr

If you're not worried about it being humane and stuff, you could get poison for them.
    Dont use poison, they eat it then go back into their holes, die and rot.

Buy the old fashioned spring traps, buy a lot and dont bother re-using them, they are only about a quid a pop.
    I'd agree with the majority and get a cat. I have a real fear of mice and instances that have happened in the past have been resolved by getting a cat. They really do love running after the little shitters and usually eat them after they have killed them.

Boy I dunno how u stay in that place with them in your kitchen, ur proper brave because if that were me I would be out.

Anyways good luck.
    I have the same problem! :(:(
    we have mice EVERYWHERE. we saw one and then within a couple weeks we seem to have millions. they are even running about in our bedrooms - ewwwww!!! I cant even sleep properly cos i have visions of them crawling on me in my sleep.
    we told our landlord and he said he was gonna bring traps around but hasnt yet (that was only a few days ago though but these mice are driving me mad). we rang pest control from the local council but they charge £65 per visit (so if they are not gone after the first visit, you gotta pay another £65 if you want them to come back and try again). I have looked in Asda, Tesco, Poundland, Costcutter, and 2 little household shops in our area and not one place had mouse traps or poison or anything. I am allergic to cats and we are not allowed one in the flat anyway. what can we do???
    watch this and you'll know what you shouldn't try :p