Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Hospital Car park

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Had to go to hospital today, nothing serious, just some blood letting. Knew i'd have to pay for the car park, but £2 for half a f*****g hour ! It's ridiculous. I can park in the city centre for 4 hours for that.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    the one near me is just as expensive. I think its how they make up some of the shortfalls in the budget.
    I've never quote understood why you should pay in advance for car parking at hospitals cos you never know if you go into the emrgency sections if you'll be there for 1 hour or 4 hours - but our local one aint that expensive I'm sure
    I paid 15 quid to park at wembley arena for 2 hours on saturday, proper rip off
    It's bloody disgusting. In a way, i don't mind paying. I get low rate mobility component DLA, and to my mind that's what that part of DLA is for, getting out and about, and parking charges are part of that. What about some poor sod on income support, which is about £55 a week having to fork out say £5 in parking charges and what for ? You just get a bit of space. There's no one going round the car park making sure evrything's ok, just 2 fat arses eating twixes and watching tv in a little office !
    I paid 15 quid to park at wembley arena for 2 hours on saturday, proper rip off

I went to London thursday in the car. We parked just by Wembley Park tube, £2.50 for the day.
    Our local hospital is £1.20 an hour.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    the one near me is just as expensive. I think its how they make up some of the shortfalls in the budget.

Tell me about it! Colchester hospital is a rip for parking, we use St.Mary's carpark (think thats it?).
    Our carpark at our local is fucking stupidly priced too.
    When i was in hospital after having James, Chris ended up getting a week one as it was SLIGHTLY cheaper.
    Our local ones quite expensive, the Doctor even advised my Mum to go home and come back to pick me up when I could be discharged due to the extortionte rates.

I think I paid a pound for twenty minutes once.

The one at my doctors is good though, its about 20p for three hours.
    local GP/Doctors is free parking where i am

and durham hospital isnt too bad actually
    Paying to park at the hospital is a pain in the backside!

When my dad was in hospital,we went to see him twice a day, for an hour, for 8 days. That works out at £32 to visit my own bloody dad when he's ill! And that was just us, add on the rest of his visitors, and I bet they'd have made a tidy sum of money out of us. My nans are ill as well, and have been in and out of hospital for the last 9 months, so it's all adding up!
    You should have to pay, but that charge is a pisstake.
    MrG wrote:
    local GP/Doctors is free parking where i am

Same here, but it's impossible to park in the car park here, which means we have to find somewhere in the street or walk down.
    rachie004 wrote:
    my mum works at a hospital and has to pay to park her car for the privalege of going to work!!

That's rubbish. We have to pay to park at the hospital, no idea how much it is though.
    Jimmies car park is actually considerably cheaper that parking in the city centre. Something like £2.50 for 3-4 hours, which I think is pretty reasonable.

My doctors is free.
    I don't think UCH in London (my local hospital) even has a car park of its own. Street parking in the area is 40p per 5 minutes (2 hours max with no return for two hours) so you have to come by ambulance or by public transport or by foot it would seem.
    I smuggle family out of the hospital car parks. Had a decent collection of tokens for a while last year :). The cost of parking at the local hospital is a complete and utter joke.
    RubberSkin wrote:
    It's bloody disgusting. In a way, i don't mind paying. I get low rate mobility component DLA, and to my mind that's what that part of DLA is for, getting out and about, and parking charges are part of that. What about some poor sod on income support, which is about £55 a week having to fork out say £5 in parking charges and what for ? You just get a bit of space. There's no one going round the car park making sure evrything's ok, just 2 fat arses eating twixes and watching tv in a little office !
    well tbh, I usually use the bus, and i assume thats partly what theyre trying to encourage people to do. People do overuse the car parks. Even nurses have a hard time finding a space usually.
    I smuggle family out of the hospital car parks. Had a decent collection of tokens for a while last year :). The cost of parking at the local hospital is a complete and utter joke.

Indeed (assuming you're talking about Stafford, I know what you're like, you'd have a local hospital in Glasgow). No where else to park nearby either so we can't even get it cheaper for a bit of a walk!
    well tbh, I usually use the bus, and i assume thats partly what theyre trying to encourage people to do. People do overuse the car parks. Even nurses have a hard time finding a space usually.

The bus can be just as bad. (well, it is if you have to go up there most days for 9 days)
    Sofie wrote:
    The bus can be just as bad. (well, it is if you have to go up there most days for 9 days)
    just as bad in what respect?
    when my dad visits my grandma, he usually parks on the side road around the corner and walks round
    Randomgirl wrote:
    I don't think UCH in London (my local hospital) even has a car park of its own. Street parking in the area is 40p per 5 minutes (2 hours max with no return for two hours) so you have to come by ambulance or by public transport or by foot it would seem.
    Yups. Unless it's the weekend and you can park around Bloomsbury for free. Tbh, it's the C Charge side of the Euston Rd anyway so even if there were parking it'd be £8 to reach it...
    just as bad in what respect?

It can be just as expensive.
    well in an ideal world, public transport would be free, or heavily subsidised for sure, but its not even nearly as expensive as owning a car, paying for petrol, road tax and car parks.
    See, we live around the corner from our hospital - literally 5 minutes walk away, maybe less. But the only time we ever really have to go is in an emergency with my Dad and in that case, we can't just walk round, we have to jump in the car. But at our hospital, it's not so much about how much it costs to park - it's finding a bloody space to park in!
    I'm not sure my nearest hospital has parking charges :confused: but I know Leicester Royal Infirmary does. Local GP doesnt though.
    But at our hospital, it's not so much about how much it costs to park - it's finding a bloody space to park in!
    Its the same in our hospital, but can you imagine how much worse it would be if they had free parking?

I think the majority of people who use the car parks could have used public transport, but they dont because once youve got a car, thats it, you never use a bus again for some reason.
    Its the same in our hospital, but can you imagine how much worse it would be if they had free parking?

I think the majority of people who use the car parks could have used public transport, but they dont because once youve got a car, thats it, you never use a bus again for some reason.

Yeah, good point. The service to our hospital from the surrounding area is amazing. I mean, if we have appointments then we walk - we only drive there in an emergency, which makes sense to me! But there's buses that cost about £2 maximum that come from as far as Manchester city centre - about 10/12 miles away!
    once youve got a car, thats it, you never use a bus again for some reason.

Yeah because the fuckers never turn up and leave you stranded.