Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

disabled living allowence

13»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sofie wrote:
    He said that he thinks his benifits are compensation because of the way the public are to him.

I read that as tongue in cheek myself. Posters with a history of having a go at benefits claimants took it otherwise.

Maybe Sovereign could clarify what he meant?
    Well, to be honest I think it's incredibly difficult to understand the situation the OP seems to be in unless you have been in it yourself or had first-hand experience of it. The stories we're fed by - admittedly deeply undesirable - publications and media outlets are bound to influence people's opinions and I think certain people's purposes would be better served by explanation and education rather than slinging insults.

I would never judge anyone on any kind of benefit, but at one point I probably would've - and harshly. But since those days I've grown up and my world has opened and mind has broadened and I've known a lot of people in situations I would have never have imagined knowing three-four years ago, who at first glance would appear to be undeserving or manipulating "the system". Some people do, some people don't... I've come to realise that it's none of my damn business either way. I don't make any assumptions as I will admit to having been proven wrong in the past after having jumped to a conclusions about people and situations. But it's [letting go of the immediate inclination to judge] easier said than done, and since we're all human with a bizarre immediate reaction to want everything to be "fairly" "distributed" (whether either of those words actually apply is a different story), I think we sometimes get it wrong and don't take the time to understand why someone would be able to - for example - have a job and be receiving benefits as on the surface they seem to be mutually exclusive. It doesn't make the people making the assumption a bad person, I hate these barbed comments and I don't think they do anyone any favours.

It's so easy to sling insults and tell people that they are prejudiced. Hey, we're none of us perfect.
    Even if he didn't mean it tongue in cheek - well he is entitled to DLA even if working. It is there to help people overcome disabilities. Maybe his particular mental health problem marks him out in some way. Maybe the DLA goes some way to compensating for this. I can't see why people have such a problem with that? :confused::confused::confused:
    briggi wrote:
    I think certain people's purposes would be better served by explanation and education rather than slinging insults.

Yes, you're probably right. But when after seeing these attitudes over and over and over and over again on the boards I get a little tired of reasoned arguments after a while, especially when it often falls on deaf ears.
    I can understand that. But I can also understand that it's easy to become very disillusioned about people on benefits when such a "them and us" mentality is created by stories in the rags about "dole scroungers" and "benefit cheats" etc. I can understand why people immediately jump to conclusions and I can also understand why people (like yourself) are sick to your back teeth of the conclusions that are reached.

People do change their minds about these things though, absolutely. I did - for one, completely :thumb:
    mental illness like scitzophrenia or depression is a very personal reaction to a whole bunch of emotions caused by the actions of others and this person's emotional reaction - hence symptoms such as isolation, lack of sucessful relationships. psychiatrists in their infernal idiocy have chosen to isolate one part of the brain (??) and say 'well that BIT isn't working right and we need to do a labotomy or regulate naturally occuring chemicals in brain. no wrong.

people get schitz because of the way others around them treat that person. not enough touch, respect, being ignored, lack of understanding.
    because we're all equally sensitive to the actions of others, the generality of the human condition means that some put these expressions down to themselves being inadequate, the less forgiving choose to rub alongside and 'keep up', others use their sense and judgment to find different and nicer people.

your average mentally ill in my experience (i was detained in hospital for over a year and live with 10 psychotic blokes) lack those skills with which to meet a better sort of person, and thus sit around believing themselves to be at fault.

society can be a great place to live, but when you lack the skills to fit, or are overly sensitive (like me) then it's really horrible.

for anybody reading whose thinking about seeing a psychiatrist, myself and my psycho flatm8 agreed you should never goto a psychiatrist to pour out your emotions. they're looking for brain functionality and will 'read-in' a brain disorder from pretty much anything you tell them. they're also equally useless beacuse for any 'delusions' you might be encountering they are strictly bound by rules of conduct not to ask you questions about these delusions as it will only re-enforce.

psychology is different ofcourse and well worth reading about or seeing. i don't think i've answered the quesiton, but i thought you might be interested to know a bit more seeing as many are ignorant.
    I agree - a pyschiatrists job isn't to listen to your emotional stuff. That's the job of a counsellor or psychotherapist.
    people get schitz because of the way others around them treat that person. not enough touch, respect, being ignored, lack of understanding.

Surely it's alot more than that?
    um well seeing as you asked no i don't think it is. i suppose REA chemicalL imbalance in the brain regarding dopeamine levels could be caused by severe mental shock or trauma. i doubt hustle and bustle of normal life would be sufficient to set off such events if they indeed would ever occur.

we all know ourselves and what parts of the brains we like to use. we do this automatically without thinking about it, when something goes wrong with the brain you will personallly know about it im sure.
    um well seeing as you asked no i don't think it is.

It must be because the part I quoted in my last post, I've had exactly the same thing happen to me, but haven't had any problems with my brain as such. (apart from migraine & something else, but that was because of something else)
    There was some research recently (no, I haven't got a reference, but there was an article in the Guardian or Observer last year about it) that suggests that there is a correlation between childhood abuse and later psychotic episodes. I'm not suggesting that this is the case in Sov's situation. R D Laing also had some interesting ideas (based on earlier work done by other psychoanalysts) that family relationships can lead to schizophrenia.
    there are some professions and insurance policies i will never be able to enter:

Dear Sir,

I am looking to join Her Majesty's Reserve Forces. I voluntarily visited the mental health services and owing to a climate of discussion, i felt encouraged to disclose general observations which eventually led to be detained under the Mental Health Act 1983. I was diagnosed with a psychosis owing to cannabis misuse and I was detained in hospital for 'treatment'.

accordingly as discussed with my psychiatrist whose deplorable insight summoned remarks such as 'deshelved in atire' to the more tollerable yet equally tiring 'indifference to treatment', i was discharged into the Assertive Community Team's care with immediate effect. On discharge in entirety from the services, i immediately felt brighter and one's initiative and drive picked up.

Having presented some facts before you and whilst having regard to other entry conditions, could previous detention under s.3 present a bar to joining the Officer's Training Club or the Reserve Forces.

I was and will remain of honorable character throughout and present no liability to Her Majesty's forces.

Yours competently,

Alexander Edgar
    Blagsta wrote:
    There was some research recently (no, I haven't got a reference, but there was an article in the Guardian or Observer last year about it) that suggests that there is a correlation between childhood abuse and later psychotic episodes. I'm not suggesting that this is the case in Sov's situation. R D Laing also had some interesting ideas (based on earlier work done by other psychoanalysts) that family relationships can lead to schizophrenia.
    But then there is a fair proportion of people that have psychotic illness even to the extent of being sectioned, not function normally, and there is no history of abuse. There can be many reasons.For example: My partner has split personality (well i say has, but its pretty much 100% under control and is not an issue) and has been sectioned in the past, but has no memory of abuse, yet most literature (limited) on the subject says its pretty much always because of abuse.
    Noone really can say anything definite about mental illness, because noone really understands the brain. Its so different for everyone.
    By "split personality" do you mean dissociative identity disorder?
    yes.
    Well this has come a fair way since I left for work this morning.

Personally I have been brought up to treat everyone the same, so I don't stare at people in the street or give people a hard time for any disability they may have - mental or not. None of you know anything about my personal life.

And Blagta, the one other time apart from this thread have I discussed benefits on this board was another of The Sovereign's posts. Soooo, how about you calm down a bit.
    Well this has come a fair way since I left for work this morning.

Personally I have been brought up to treat everyone the same, so I don't stare at people in the street or give people a hard time for any disability they may have - mental or not. None of you know anything about my personal life.

And Blagta, the one other time apart from this thread have I discussed benefits on this board was another of The Sovereign's posts. Soooo, how about you calm down a bit.
    You made some rather offensive remarks in that thread too. Don't forget that your remarks aimed at one person on here can be offensive to others who read them as well.
    Randomgirl wrote:
    You made some rather offensive remarks in that thread too. Don't forget that your remarks aimed at one person on here can be offensive to others who read them as well.

I haven't made any offensive remarks in this thread until one was made by the OP. Well, I found it offensive anyway. And I suppose I might have been offensive in the other thread but I wasn't the only one.

Fuck it, I'm not going to carry on explaining myself to people. I'm entitled to my opinion as is everyone.
    what's OP?
    Original Poster (Thread Starter, basically)
    And Blagta, the one other time apart from this thread have I discussed benefits on this board was another of The Sovereign's posts.

where you were just as nasty and judgemental.
    I haven't made any offensive remarks in this thread until one was made by the OP. Well, I found it offensive anyway. And I suppose I might have been offensive in the other thread but I wasn't the only one.

Fuck it, I'm not going to carry on explaining myself to people. I'm entitled to my opinion as is everyone.

You found someone with a mental health problem complaining about prejudice in society offensive? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

You got some issues girl.
    Blagsta wrote:
    a load of crap

Like I said, we're all entitled to our own opinions.
    yep youre perfectly entitled to start spouting vitriol at disabled people or people with mental health problems etc,giving them a hard time - freedom of speech etc.
    It doesnt make you a nice person though.
    Blagsta wrote:
    You found someone with a mental health problem complaining about prejudice in society offensive? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

You got some issues girl.

well, considering that he said his DLA was a form of compensation...
    oh grow up sofie.
    yep youre perfectly entitled to start spouting vitriol at disabled people or people with mental health problems etc,giving them a hard time - freedom of speech etc.
    It doesnt make you a nice person though.

Why would I give a fuck if a load of people on an internet message board think I'm nice or not?!
    My mother works full time and has a DLA entitlement. Two parts, one mobility and the other mental health. I have had alot of contact with people with various mental health issues over the years and have no problem with it, I just choose to steer clear. To be perfectly honest it's a flaw in my part as I don't like to deal with it, too close to home.

I must admit I felt the comment that 'it's compensation for societies cruel treatment' a little OTT. I'm a tax payer and i've never done anything to be cruel to someone with such a condition. Neither is it something to be taken for granted. More societies way of helping those who are deemed less fortunate. Isn't society nice, shame i've never met them!