Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Private schooling

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Would you send your child to a private school?
I would for sure provided he/she was happy. Or a Drama school - royal college of music/drama etc.

how much are they per term.

set your child on the right track and mix with the best kind of people. Expect more.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Think we've had this debate before (or something similar) and I personally wouldn't send my child to a private school. Nor would I send them to a single gender school.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Nope, waste of cash to be fair, in my honest opinion.

I would send my child to a school based on its performance. If it was private, I would make damn sure it was the best private school. However, Public Schools provide much the same service.
    mix with the best kind of people.

I'd hardly say that!

set your child on the right track and mix with the best kind of people.

idiot.
    What's the difference between private and public in England?
    There was a thread about this a wee while ago, which descended into fairly unreasoned debate (which I love so bring it on!).

I'd never send my children to a private school because it is against my most basic values relating to education in that it should be free and fair to all and you shouldn't be able to hypothetically pay for a "better" education -- if that really is the case, anyway.

I have met lovely privately schooled people and horrendous ones as I have with comprehesive-educated people, so it's no reflection on my feelings about the perceived characters of either, it's just how I feel and have always felt. If anyone says I'll change my mind when I become a parent I'll give them a fat lip :mad: :p
    Dear Wendy wrote:

I always thought they meant the same thing. Could be wrong :confused:
    Dear Wendy wrote:

same thing really, except "public" schools are perceived to be posher.
    Never quite understood the reason for the term 'public'. In just about every other area it usually means state-owned. :confused:
    I went to a private school from yr 6 to yr 11. there isnt much difference between Private and Comp schools, except theres a lower pupil/teacher ratio, which i found good, and people tend to be less aggresive because it tends to be (and i don't mean this is bad, just from my experience this is the result) mainly middle class families there, and it's different morals. On the other hand, people can still be complete cunts there- there's just less of them.
    And Private and Public schools are pretty much the same. but the term is apparently "independent schools" now.
    Blagsta wrote:
    same thing really, except "public" schools are perceived to be posher.

Thanks.

And regarding the question - yes, I would.
    No I wouldn't. They are elitest and immoral and steal resources from state schools just because they can buy more and pay higher wages.
    You gotta love all those New 'Labour' ministers sending their kids to privat scholls don't ya...
    I went to see quite a posh private boarding school in England, and I was absolutely amazed by what they could offer.
    That said, I'd never send my kid to boarding school.
    Exactly. And I would give my children every stinking, unfair advantage going.

At what cost? A large chunk of private schooled people I've met at uni sometimes seem very very out of touch with the real world.
    Renzo wrote:
    At what cost? A large chunk of private schooled people I've met at uni sometimes seem very very out of touch with the real world.

Uni doesn't represent real life though.
    And with all of the prejudices I've heard about privately schooled, I was more than surprised by a group of friends of mine which has a few who have attended private schools.

I don't know, you get assholes attending state school as well as private. You can disagree with the actual private institutions, but don't think it's reasonable to generalize the pupils of these institutions as out of touch.
    Renzo wrote:
    There is an element of what i called "yar" girls, at my school, anyway. You know, the ones that say "Yar" as opposed to yes. :eek2:
    They also went to Pony club, i think that says a lot. There was also a bit of a culture of "Daddy bought me this that and the other" which was a bit weird. Private school kids also tend to be a bit naive, especially those in single sex schools. I have a best friend who i've known since year 6, and she went to a single sex school and is not at all streetwise. Guess it's also dependant on the home life they have. If you have parents which encourage independence, then school's not going to really affect that, but unfortunately the type of people that send their precious darlings to private school tended to mollycoddle, i found.
    i want to be a daddy like the one you talk of amsy
    Exactly. And I would give my children every stinking, unfair advantage going.

Even with the effect that could have on their emotional growth?

Mrs MoK works at a local private school which has four year old boarders. Mrs MoK says it breaks her heart everytime she sees them, knowing that they don't have Mum/Dad to hug them for more than half the year.

The school turns out come pretty well educated people (judging on it's old boys roster) but at what cost to the individual concerned?
    Definitely agree with you, MoK, about the emotional impact. I wouldn't send my kids to a private school. I would want to be a part of their growing up as much as possible as when they become older they will bugger off.
    My parents have been around all the time until i turned 18 and moved away, and I am better for it.
    Renzo wrote:
    No I wouldn't. They are elitest and immoral and steal resources from state schools just because they can buy more and pay higher wages.
    The total amount of money that goes into state education remains the same whether or not we have independant schools though. If all the independent schools closed and their pupils transfered into state schools then the total amount of money per pupil in state schools would be about 5-10% less and hence we would all have less resources for our education.

Also, many teachers aren't driven by the desire for higher wages (there are many higher paid graduate jobs on offer!). I was educated in a comprehensive with pupils from a range of differet social backgrounds and a lot of my teachers expressed a real desire to make a difference to the lives of the worse off pupils for whom an education will make a massive difference to their future.
    My mum was telling me about the junior doctors they get at her work. You get some who seem to have spent their entire life in education. Then they walk straight into a job, and they're shocked when they get told to fuck off when they try and order the nurses around. I don't know if this relates to public schools at all, but I think people in general tend to have a dislike to people who come straight out of education into a high position, and then act as if others are below them, despite having only been there two minutes. And I think this can be a shock to some people who haven't had the luxury of mixing with lots of different types of people.

But I don't think these type of people are exactly exclusive to public schools either. But if you've been forced to fund yourself through uni working in a bar or shop, then you're probably going to have more respect for 'lower level' workers when you finally get a well-paid job, and that can only make you a better part of the team.
    Since when did private school = boarding school?
    yeah i made a thread about private schools not long ago and it turned into a huge debate.

I think its unfair that children with richer parents get a 'better' education but thats how it is at the moment and if i had the option i would send my kids to a private school. My primary school was like a private school and alot of kids came from well off families - so alot went to private senior schools including my best friend and i remember how heartbroken i was that i couldnt afford to go.
    And for boarding school....i would wait until my kid was older and ask them if they want to board or not. I wouldn't just send them. That is all of course if i ever can afford to.
    Ballerina wrote:
    I think its unfair that children with richer parents get a 'better' education.

Agreed. It seems that if your parents aren't rich, you have to put with rubbish 'teachers' who can't teach as well. (There were 2 I had in Year 11; one was a supply but he claimed to be good at science)
    wouldn't do it through principle, i'd like to be a main role in educating any future kids i have, but i wouldn't do it to the detriment of everyone else in regards to exams and responsible for good teacher poaching

exams /= education
    I would send my child to a private school if we had the money, because they tend to have better educational resources, and a lower pupil to teacher ratio. I want to give my kids the best chance in life.

However, I think that private schools should be abolished.
    I agree with GWST.

As for boarding schools, I wouldn't send my children to a boarding school.
    I would send my children to a private school. If I did not have the money too, I would work hard to try and do it. As GWST said - they have better resources and lower teacher to pupil ratios. Just because someone goes to a private school does not make them a 'toff', 'out of touch with the real world' etc. Education alone cannot make this happen. I would try and keep my children grounded.
    Even with the effect that could have on their emotional growth?

Mrs MoK works at a local private school which has four year old boarders. Mrs MoK says it breaks her heart everytime she sees them, knowing that they don't have Mum/Dad to hug them for more than half the year.

The school turns out come pretty well educated people (judging on it's old boys roster) but at what cost to the individual concerned?

I don't suppose they take toddlers - if so I can give them a couple more pupils :D

On a more serious note I'd say 4 year old boarders is a bit young, but are there special circumstances. A lot of the boarding school pupils I knew were things like parents away with Army, FCO where it was often better for the children to go to boarding school than whatever hell-hole the parents were posted in