Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Can a bank charge you

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
£125 for going over your overdraft
(by about £100 without even warning you?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    In one big charge or several smaller ones?
    Tweety wrote:
    £125 for going over your overdraft
    (by about £100 without even warning you?

I have been charged by a bank 30, because I was about to change accounts and wanted to drain the one completely. When they wanted to collect my handy fee, and could not the mobile network operator was charged 30€ I guess and they wanted the money back from me. I said screw you, it was accidental and that I am not running out of cash. I told them to instantly transfer the amount of the last bill to their account and never had to pay the 30€.

Just fight for every penny, many times they surrender.
    There was a thread made in Home, Law And Money about this. David and I have just received £890 back from our bank as we demanded all of the unfair charges back.
    Yeah saw that but he was more than £30 OD so it won't count will it?
    Char_Baby wrote:
    In one big charge or several smaller ones?

One big lump.
    But couldn't they argue that it cost them say however much he was overdrawn, say £300 or something?
    £890
    :crazyeyes
    remind me not to bank with your bank :p

tweety, i think £125 is a bit much tbh.
    although i only have a student a/c i think my bank would charge me something like £35 or some similar figure and then would put interest charges ontop of that.
    unless they are charging you back the £100 you overdrew + £25 for telling you about it, rather than a charge of £125???
    Ok thanks, hes been speaking to someone whos told him what to write etc and that if that doesn't work where to take it from there.
    Stupid fucking banks. How the hell do they expect you to get out of debt with charges that fucking steep?
    otter wrote:
    :crazyeyes
    remind me not to bank with your bank :p

tweety, i think £125 is a bit much tbh.
    although i only have a student a/c i think my bank would charge me something like £35 or some similar figure and then would put interest charges ontop of that.
    unless they are charging you back the £100 you overdrew + £25 for telling you about it, rather than a charge of £125???

No its £125 overdraft fee it says.
    It's hsbc btw.:banghead:
    Tweety wrote:
    No its £125 overdraft fee it says.
    It's hsbc btw.:banghead:
    loads of people say hsbc is crap (+ natwest)
    if i were you i'd switch banks.
    co-op is pretty good imo :) ~ tho' at the end of the day they are all after your money!
    It was the Co-op that have just refunded our charges :p
    :shocking: i didn't know that.
    Tweety - the banks don't want you to get out of debt, it isn't profitable for them.
    ...... charging you £125/£890 probably makes it profitable for them to put you in debt!
    Tweety - the banks don't want you to get out of debt, it isn't profitable for them.

True. What a bunch of wankers though. Urgh i thought lloyds were bad enough but at least a few years back when i got in shit they AT LEAST sent me a letter EVERY time i was in shit you know, to warn me.
    Ask for it back. All the banks that have charged you within the last 6 years, ask for it all back. Going off this, HSBC has returned over £374,000 to people who bothered to fight back.
    Ah it was about 4 1/2 years ago now, don't wanna be dragging all that shit back up as i was with my ex then.

We will be claiming from HSBC though.
    I have been charged in the past, however I haven't really kept record of what I have been charged, do I need this to claim money back?
    Check out the section in Martin's Money tips for information on the process, you can kick off with a data protection request for a list of previous charges - however do bear in mind people's warnings about how some banks have reacted.
    Jim V wrote:
    Check out the section in Martin's Money tips for information on the process, you can kick off with a data protection request for a list of previous charges - however do bear in mind people's warnings about how some banks have reacted.

yep. my bank sent me a snotty letter and told me that they will close my account if I am unhappy.
    Co-op are actually the biggest pile of shit. Don't bank with them.

I'm with HSBC and I think they're spot on.
    I have to say that I'm quite happy with the Co-Op again, because they had the good sense not to fight us.

Anyone would think they knew where Ellie worked and were a bit scared :chin: