Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

School money

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How does it work there? I'm so confused. I read on here all the time the students with no jobs, but they get some money each month? Is that it?

How expensive is school?

Does this money you get, supposed to go to school but you can spend it any way?

Is it just money to you?

Any help would be awsome :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    This site is aimed at people in the UK, so the school money thing might not apply to you (your profile indicates that you live in the USA).

From what I understand, the government offer money to people who stay on in education. The better you perform, the more money you get. Also, school education in the UK is paid for by the government for everyone upto the age of 18.
    The situation is basically:
    - anyone whose parents earn under a certain amount of money (about 30k) gets given money by the goverment.
    - in order to get this money, they have to be full time students (students who do 12 hours + at school)

Pendari Champion is technically right about the better you perform, the more money you get. In that, if you reach certain targets, you get a bonus at Christmas (both years), summer (both years) and when you return to Year 13.

The amount fo money you get each week is determine by the amount your parents earn.

Also, you can't miss lessons else you get no money for that week unless you have a valid excuse. (such as being off ill or a driving test)
    Schooling is free to children up to the age of 18. If you leave school at 16, you can go to college or 6th form and be 'payed' to attend (which is £10-£30 a week, off the government, which can be spent on anything.)
    When you've finished school/college/6th form at 18 and are entering University you can apply for a student loan off the government. Is this what you're referring to? You get a set payment each term to cover some of the costs of living/attending uni. It's not enough to live on, thus students needing to find jobs.

Is this what you mean?
    Schooling is free to children up to the age of 18. If you leave school at 16, you can go to college or 6th form and be 'payed' to attend (which is £10-£30 a week, off the government, which can be spent on anything.)

It is really meant to be spent on stuff for college, but nearly everyone I know. spends their money on clothes.
    When you've finished school/college/6th form at 18 and are entering University you can apply for a student loan off the government. Is this what you're referring to? You get a set payment each term to cover some of the costs of living/attending uni. It's not enough to live on, thus students needing to find jobs.

Is this what you mean?

Don't some places give you grants? And doesn't the goverment pay for tution fees if your parents under a certain amount of money?
    This site is aimed at people in the UK, so the school money thing might not apply to you (your profile indicates that you live in the USA).

From what I understand, the government offer money to people who stay on in education. The better you perform, the more money you get. Also, school education in the UK is paid for by the government for everyone upto the age of 18.

Yeah, I'm asking because I am not in the UK therefore I do not understand. I want to learn. Thanks though, I should have been more descriptive.

Thanks Illora, thats exactly what I was looking for!

So does this money given each week go to the actual cost of school too? I dont' even kow what to ask here :p Does school cost x amount per sememster or somethign similar? Can this money go to that or is that something totally different?
    Sofie wrote:
    It is really meant to be spent on stuff for college, but nearly everyone I know. spends their money on clothes.

Don't some places give you grants? And doesn't the goverment pay for tution fees if your parents under a certain amount of money?
    Haha yeah, well it's always meant to be spent on something productive, but who does that these days? Actually spends money on school stuff and not clothes/magazines/makeup lol.

And yeh, you can get a grant as well as a student loan, if your household income is below a certain amount.
    my_name wrote:
    Yeah, I'm asking because I am not in the UK therefore I do not understand. I want to learn. Thanks though, I should have been more descriptive.

Thanks Illora, thats exactly what I was looking for!

So does this money given each week go to the actual cost of school too? I dont' even kow what to ask here :p Does school cost x amount per sememster or somethign similar? Can this money go to that or is that something totally different?
    Depends what type of 'school' you mean. We have schools for children, colleges for teenagers and university for adults lol.

The cost of running a school is why we pay tax :thumb: We don't pay to attend school.
    Errr... "University", I guess it would be I'm most curious about?
    my_name wrote:
    Errr... "University", I guess it would be I'm most curious about?

We have to pay for university and if someone was to decide that they didn't want to go to their local uni, then they have to pay for their accomidation and everything else they need.
    University education in the UK is one of the best world-wide.

Also, from what I remember, It can cost upto $25,000 per year in tuition in the USA, where as in the UK, about $17,000 will get you a 3 year university education.
    I've just been curious. I see things of how people don't work whilst they go to school but they have a certian amount of money still. I didn't understand how it worked. But Illora answered it perfectly for me. Thanks :)
    I started university 9 years ago (i've obv finished now) and I was the last year where you didn't have to pay for your tuition and if your parents earned under a certain threshold you got a grant to help out with your accomodation and living costs (or were divorced - for some reason everyon i know who was divorced got one).

This meant it was much fairer and everyone could go to university who wanted to. However when my sister started university the year after me she had to pay tuition fees and you couldn't get a grant either so some of her friends didn't go to university becasue the cost was too high.

They have now brought back in grants and waiver tution fees for the poorest students - but additionally universities are now allowed to charge "top up fees" on top of the basic tuition fee and I think though i've not looked properly into it that the universities with a better reputation will charge more than those with a less well known name - certainly when I was looking at MA's LSE was charging twice as much as Imperial (where i ended up going) for the same course because it had a better name internationally.
    Incidentally, student loans are nowhere near enough for most people. Most students to have jobs, too.

I have 2. I'm still broke! But that's 'cos it's summer.
    piccolo wrote:
    Incidentally, student loans are nowhere near enough for most people. Most students to have jobs, too.

I have 2. I'm still broke! But that's 'cos it's summer.

But whilst you were in 6th form/before you went to uni, did you save up any money?
    Actually getting the loans/grants you're entitled to is another matter though. In theory it's great, in practice it's bullshit.
    How does anyone except the very rich elite get to go to uni in america? Thoses fees are beyond ridiculous.
    How does anyone except the very rich elite get to go to uni in america? Thoses fees are beyond ridiculous.

Loans, schlorships, grants, various financial aid; theres tons of options. My brother got a full ride schlorship (everything paid for except his books) for playing football. I'm only taking 2 classes but my tuition per semester is $3,300. I've got a stafford loan for $2,750 per semester. (Stafford loans, you don't start paying back until you finish school or drop below 6 credits) I've also applied for several schlorships, ranging from $200-$1000.

School is actually very affordable if you take advantage of the options out there.

Many US universities have needs-blind admissions so the ability to pay is not considered in the admissions process. As has been said there are lots of financial aid programmes, scholarships and bursaries. And some US universities even offer generous financial help with fees to international students - in contrast to the UK where financial help for int'l students is basically unheard of and where unis simply see int'l students as an extra source of revenue (since they pay higher fees). The quality of the top US universities is also unmatched, only Oxbridge comes close.