Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

How often do you update/balance your checkbook?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I just spent an hour pretty much copying transactions from my bank statement to my checkbook. The last time I did it was around May :\ Took me forever, I'm always a few cents off and can never find out where. I'm always surprised to find out how much I have when I do it, I never even have a guess at how much money I have until I look.

So do you update your books as soon as you use money from that account or do you just do what I do? How often do you balance it?

Comments

• JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I dont use my chequebook much so no!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    never?

online banking - tells me all I need to know!
    never?

:yes:

damn straight!
    never?

I've never got on with online banking, its just much easier to phone them. By the time my computer has turned on I can be done with the phone call.

I use this quite alot as well.
    What if the online banking is wrong though? Your receipt shows something different than what they charged, like at a resturant or some such. You just automatically believe it without records of your own?

I've only been banking for a few years and I've already had a wrong statement once.
    I've never had a wrong statement. Also, I've never known online banking to be wrong.
    bongbudda wrote:
    I've never got on with online banking, its just much easier to phone them. By the time my computer has turned on I can be done with the phone call.

I use telephone banking, too. Never looked back since I got it.
    my_name wrote:
    What if the online banking is wrong though? Your receipt shows something different than what they charged, like at a resturant or some such. You just automatically believe it without records of your own?

I've only been banking for a few years and I've already had a wrong statement once.

to be honest if it was a couple of pounds out it wouldnt really bother me otherwise i think id notice if it says ive been charged £30 for a beer and burger from wetherspoons
    I check all my card receipts and cheques once a month when my statement comes through.
    bongbudda wrote:

my computer is pretty much always on, so internet banking is the way forward for me
    As I have several bank/savings accounts I use Quicken to store all the details and reconcile it to my statements, try to update it when possible. Bit pointless know I have online banking but it still helps me.
    ive only ever wrote like 5 cheques

and 2 of them were deposit/safeguard cheques, so they never were cashed, were just ripped up