Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Bombs on planes?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hmm, they've foiled a plot to blow up some planes at some undefined point in the future, and so the government have used it as an excuse to ramp up the fear by making out that someone is about to blow up a plane today. Well done for uncovering the plot and stopping it. Shame on them for all the bullshit that's come afterwards.

Have they ? :chin:

I still haven`t seen any evidence.
    .. How many nations, can you think of, which did not come into being with blood on their hands.

I defy you to name ten.

Perhaps a good time for the ending of the wide held belief in "the nation" ? ;)
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I tell you what, some very clever marketing by certain companies such as Virgin Trains letting people with plane tickets on trains for free.

Very clever,
    9/11 happened before Iraq,
    An oft-repeated straw man. The spectacular effectiveness of 911 and the decision of Bush's handlers to connect it to Iraq were both gifts to al-Qa'ida. One led to the other, which gave the terrorists' cause a huge shot in the arm. But still people wheedle that because 911 happened first, Iraq couldn't have caused any terrorism...
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I really wouldn't be suprised if this is part of a plan to ban liquids on board aircraft - just so people have to pay through the nose for onboard drinks...
    NQA wrote:
    *9/11 was conducted by men who were mainly middle class and way before the Iraq or Afghanistan invasions.
    And there it is again...
    *Patiently awaits the blame being placed upon Blair and Israel.*

*wears conspiracy hat* it is terribly convienient though isn't it. Blair is getting a lot of flak and the middle east is going up in flames, so lets distract the public with a foiled terrorist plot....
    I have serious doubts whether this threat is genuine, to be quite honest.

The people haven't had a little shock for a while, and now's as good a time as any to give everyone a nice little shock.

I give it a week before Blair passes another law which restricts our liberty further.
    Aladdin wrote:
    If this plot is real (and it appears to be), anyone who thinks there is no relation between Britain's continuing policy on Iraq and Israel and Britain being a target needs their head examined double quick.

This foiled plot would have taken months and months of planning, it is extremely unlikely therefore to have been inspired by Israel's current war against Hezbollah. Anyway I don't care what justification Muslim terrorists use, they need to be beaten.
    JsT wrote:
    I really wouldn't be suprised if this is part of a plan to ban liquids on board aircraft - just so people have to pay through the nose for onboard drinks...

I did have this thought as well, how long until the goverment/airlines seriously reduce what we can take on as hand luggage, and get us down to the basics. Would put a lot of people of flying, prices would go up and the smaller budget airlines would struggle. Its a good thing that they have foiled a plot but there will be a lot of knock-on effects form this.
    I did have this thought as well, how long until the goverment/airlines seriously reduce what we can take on as hand luggage, and get us down to the basics. Would put a lot of people of flying, prices would go up and the smaller budget airlines would struggle. Its a good thing that they have foiled a plot but there will be a lot of knock-on effects form this.
    I know. There's no way I'd go on a long-haul flight if I wasn't allowed to bring an MP3 player onboard. It's crap.
    This foiled plot would have taken months and months of planning, it is extremely unlikely therefore to have been inspired by Israel's current war against Hezbollah. Anyway I don't care what justification Muslim terrorists use, they need to be beaten.

How exactly would it take months? It's not like they're trying to infiltrate the CIA, such an operation could be planned in 2 weeks maximum. If it is a real threat, I hope they go down for a long time, politics is the way forward, not killing people.
    turlough wrote:
    How exactly would it take months? It's not like they're trying to infiltrate the CIA, such an operation could be planned in 2 weeks maximum. If it is a real threat, I hope they go down for a long time, politics is the way forward, not killing people.

It's not something they'd plan on the back of a packet of cigarettes. There's a level of research and expertise required, without knowing further facts I don't really know but I'd bet a lot of money that this was in planning long before the Hezbollah initiated war in the Middle East...

As for hoping they go down for a long time they should if found guilty spend the rest of their life behind bars in a cramped, windowless cell and they should at no time be allowed to leave to their cell...(Or failing that I'd have no qualms about hanging them).
    (Or failing that I'd have no qualms about hanging them).

Why would you hang someone if they didn't actually kill anyone?
    Kermit wrote:
    I have serious doubts whether this threat is genuine, to be quite honest.

The people haven't had a little shock for a while, and now's as good a time as any to give everyone a nice little shock.

I give it a week before Blair passes another law which restricts our liberty further.
    :yes: exactly my thoughts.
    yep i passed by heathrow airport today and the whole place was swarming with filth, waving guns about it looked like a grand show indeed.......most people didn't even seem that put off though, just going about their business as was i, got a few glares from the coppers (maybe it's the summer tan lol), i can honestly say i was more bothered by the possibility of getting stopped than i was of any terrorist attack......
    This foiled plot would have taken months and months of planning, it is extremely unlikely therefore to have been inspired by Israel's current war against Hezbollah.
    They sure as well would have been inspired by the illegal war and subsequent occupation of Iraq dating back to 2003.
    Disillusioned - I'd be curious about your reaction to the book below, it is the biggest study done of suicide bombings ever by a researcher at the University of Chicago. He went through all of them since 1980 and the findings suggest that in virtually all the cases its not about religion its about land and occupation.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1400063175/002-7452439-2164022?redirect=true
    bongbudda wrote:
    Disillusioned - I'd be curious about your reaction to the book below, it is the biggest study done of suicide bombings ever by a researcher at the University of Chicago. He went through all of them since 1980 and the findings suggest that in virtually all the cases its not about religion its about land and occupation.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1400063175/002-7452439-2164022?redirect=true

Yes the causes may be that, but the whole point of suicide bombers is they have to be religious to do it as they beleive paradise and 72 virgins awaites them, so realy its impossible to seperate them from their religion.
    Yes the causes may be that, but the whole point of suicide bombers is they have to be religious to do it as they beleive paradise and 72 virgins awaites them, so realy its impossible to seperate them from their religion.

Except that doesnt hold true, the Tamil Tigers are the biggest suicide bombing group and they are Marxist.
    The 72 virgins 'reason' is bollocks in most cases. I'm sure the odd nutter might believe that. But there has been a constant campaign of disinformation by certain camps regarding the background and motivation behind suicide bombers.

Not all are the same, by any means. Many are women. Many are university graduates. Many are not Muslims, and certainly don't believe in the 72 virgins bollocks.

Many simply resort to such extreme and revolting actions because they and their families have themselves been the victims of the most disgusting abuses themselves.

Muslim or not muslim, 72 virgins or not, I'm willing ot believe a number of us here might one day decide to go that route if throughout our entire life we've been subjected to an evil occupation and abuse; our house had been bulldozed; our little sister shot in the head from a distance by a soldier for a laugh; our brother arrested on no existent charges and thrown into a jail to rot for months at a time throughout his youth; our family killed by a missile fired for retaliation purposes. Is it really that strange that some people in that situation will decide 'the fuck with everything'?
    bongbudda wrote:
    He went through all of them since 1980 and the findings suggest that in virtually all the cases its not about religion its about land and occupation.

I think it depends on your definition of religion.

This is nonsense. Most suicide bombings in the world have been secular. Marxist Tamil Tigers according to a bloke on Channel 4 news last night.
    Blagsta wrote:
    This is nonsense. Most suicide bombings in the world have been secular. Marxist Tamil Tigers according to a bloke on Channel 4 news last night.

The book I mentioned was by him. Interesting interview wasnt it.
    Yep. Its the sort of thing that should be common knowledge, but isn't.
    And only a few days before John Reed said that the threat to the UK was at it's highest level....hmmm

Then after yesterday they said that the threat has subsided even though there were apparently 10 people still at large...

And how is it comparable to 9/11 when supposedly these guys yesterday would have blown the aircraft up in flight and there was gonna be no hijacking apparently, or I am wrong...

Bush was quick to thank Blair, I love their mutual appreciation society...
    Blagsta wrote:
    Yep. Its the sort of thing that should be common knowledge, but isn't.

that pretty much sums up western foreign policy though doesn't it.....
    migpilot wrote:
    And how is it comparable to 9/11 when supposedly these guys yesterday would have blown the aircraft up in flight and there was gonna be no hijacking apparently, or I am wrong...

If they had taken out 8 or 9 full airplanes going to the US, the numbers involved would have been higher than 11th September.
    bongbudda wrote:
    If they had taken out 8 or 9 full airplanes going to the US, the numbers involved would have been higher than 11th September.

Yeah I just realized that, dunno why I was thinking of DC-9's or something...
    Weird...
    i heard on the news that this was an attack on the US, how? It would have been mostly british people on board i would have thought and they wouldn't explode in the US.

Now it's been stopped surely they're going to keep trying till they top 9/11 - which i think was the main aim wasn't it?