Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Rargh

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Why do people say TO BE HONEST or even worse..'to be perfectly honest with you..' I'd like to think that when talking with me you were always honest. (This means you jake0...if that is your real name...)

Another is 'I'm not being funny but...'. I'm willing to bet my £50 bank balance that the next thing that comes out that person's mouth isn't going to make me ROFL or even LMAO let alone LOL.

Funny mood. Gr.

Comments

• JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    To be honest, and I'm not being funny here - but I think you're over-reacting!

:p

*ducks*
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm not being funny, right, but, to be honest, yeah, to be perfectly honest with you, Rachael, like, at the end of the day, yeah, like, when all's said and done...

*hears thud on the floor*
    Zzzz.....
    \
    I say both them things! :blush:
    sophia wrote:
    "at the end of the day"

and I say that as well! lol
    What the fuck is going on here?
    Im guilty as well :(
    At the end of the day.................it's tomorrow.
    To those that say it:

I hope you all catch gonorehoea

(jk)
    Rachael wrote:
    To those that say it:

I hope you all catch gonorrhea (jk)
    That's not a very nice thing to say. :(
    Hmm gonorehea, my favourite STD. :yum:
    turlough wrote:
    Hmm gonorehea, my favourite STD. :yum:

Hehe. Mine too.

One time I played a game of musical chairs but we were all STDs so when she shouted out GENITAL WARTS, all the genital warty people had to run and grab a chair...And yes..I was gonorhoea. :heart:
    \
    I say it. Its more of a space filler, but much better sounding then uhhhh, well, uhhhh, you know, like, other stuff.

And to be honest, crabs is so much better. You can make friends!
    Rachael wrote:
    Why do people say TO BE HONEST or even worse..'to be perfectly honest with you..' I'd like to think that when talking with me you were always honest. (This means you jake0...if that is your real name...)

Another is 'I'm not being funny but...'. I'm willing to bet my £50 bank balance that the next thing that comes out that person's mouth isn't going to make me ROFL or even LMAO let alone LOL.

Funny mood. Gr.

See the reason why "To be honest... " is disturbing is because it implies that the other times they talk to you and don't use the "to be honest...", they are not being honest and they are pooling wool over your eyes. in simple terms until they say "to be honest..." - they are lying. Yes, LYING!

Why? To protect your feelings obviously.

;)
    Paronoia is setting in right about...........now

YOU'RE WATCHING ME ARENT YOU
    maybe...
    turlough wrote:
    What the fuck is going on here?
    i'm just as lost as you!
    Things that bug.
    Haha. I use them all.

'To be honest' generally implies that what follows is complete honesty, as opposed to taking a softly softly approach. Not that you're normally dishonest, but on that occasion you're being slightly more blunt with your honesty. If that makes sense.

'I'm not being funny' - 'Funny' being used in the generally more archaic sense of strange. For example, using: 'I'm not being funny but i don't think you should have sex before marriage' to show the fact that while the statement you are going to make is slightly out of character for you to make, you really do mean what you are going to say.

'At the end of the day' is used to round off a topic of conversation and end your involvement in it more adequately than simply placing the fact out for debate. 'At the end of the day, i think sex before marriage is wrong' will more easily show that you have your opinion and are sticking to it than just randomly saying 'I think sex before marriage is wrong'.

Just to piss on your bonfire :p
    Well I'm not being funny but I still think that they're lame.

Cheers for the definitions though. I've written them down like. Honest :p
    someone from Leeds cussing at a Manc...
    now there's a thought...

:D
    Typical dirty manc that can't use a fucking toilet.

:no:
    I can use them. I just choose not to on those occasions when i'm forced to visit that rancid hellhole they call 'Leeds'. From the look of the place it seems like most of the locals don't bother either. :yuck:
    I hate 'at the end of the day'. Especially if it's used in an argument and the person is using it in some weak attempt to bring a conclusion to the argument. That shit won't wash with me.
    I'm sure 'At the end of the day' has featured in every football interview ever.
    At the end of the day I use to be honest all the time, and to be honest if you don't like it then that's tough luck, innit, know what I'm saying?
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I'm honest all the time (or almost all the time), but I do say "To be honest". In two cases:
    1. When I'm going to say something that I think the other person might think is a lie.
    2. When I'm going to say something that the other person will probably not like.
    I hate 'At the end of the day'. I know this bloke who says it about 3 times in every sentence.

While I was reading this thread I twitched suddenly, hitting the space bar and cursor keys. My browser went crazy. I'm laughing like a loon!